User Avatar Image

How much am I missing?

posted by Wusodoolo on - last edited - Viewed by 343 users

When I started playing this series, I had neither played nor known anything about the whole Monkey Island series beyond the fact that the main character is named Guybrush Threepwood. As I've been playing, I've been able to understand any jokes that are not referencing other Monkey Island games. I also made sure to look up characters i knew nothing about when they were introduced (Murray and Stan.) I also looked up and now understand the "insult sword fighting" and the whole "you fight like a cow" gag. But I gotta wonder: is there still a ton of hilarious jokes that i am missing because I have never played the other games? Or can I keep playing without worrying that I am missing out on most of the game because of it? Thanks in advance.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You do miss a lot of subtle references and disguised references.

    Also, you're missing out on some really good, quality adventure games.

  • You've got the major ones down, I think. There may be a few minor things like the "A Pirate I Was Meant to Be" song from Curse of Monkey Island being played in DeCava's hut, but I can't really think of too many beyond that.

    I agree with RD though, you are missing out on some quality games

  • @Rather Dashing said: You do miss a lot of subtle references and disguised references.

    Also, you're missing out on some really good, quality adventure games.

    Trust me, if I ever get the chance, I will get any Monkey Island game I can get my hands on.

  • Yeah play the old ones for sure they are worth it... I kind of envy you in a way.... Imagine if you could play all the old games for the first time while waiting for the next episode.

  • Now, how would I get around to getting those old games? I don't THINK I have any of the stuff wikipedia says the first game was released on, but I'm terrible with computer words, so I may be just missing something.

  • @LowMoralFiber said: You've got the major ones down, I think. There may be a few minor things like the "A Pirate I Was Meant to Be" song from Curse of Monkey Island being played in DeCava's hut, but I can't really think of too many beyond that.


    Then you're missing a lot. Off the top of my head, there's the chandelier in Club 41, pretty much the entire diving scene in Episode 3, the reference to porcelain, the reference to the past games in Elaine's testimony, the entire opening scene of episode 1 is a parody of the tropes of the Monkey Island series, etc. There are a lot of one-liners that I'm probably missing.

    @LowMoralFiber said: Now, how would I get around to getting those old games? I don't THINK I have any of the stuff wikipedia says the first game was released on, but I'm terrible with computer words, so I may be just missing something.


    Get the ScummVM emulator. It is just about the most stable and user-friendly emulator out there. You can get the Special Edition of the first game, which is built on top of and allows seamless switching to the original. I'm not sure if you can get Curse to run natively on XP/Vista/7.

  • Well the first game was just released as an easy to use special edition... so that is easy enough to get on the cheap.

    MI2-4 you can get from amazon or ebay. Sometimes pretty cheap too.

  • Alright, thanks guys. Wow, people are so friendly here. Such a nice change from some other forums I'm used to.

  • Why don't you just play the old games first? You are kind of spoiling the old MI games for yourself by reading the back-story.
    Playing ToMI without knowledge of the old games is fine, but why would you want to skip the classics?

    MI1 - Special Edition(with voice and high rez grfx) on sale on Steam. It's a must!
    MI2 - ScummVM (googe it) will run it for you. Only skip it if you dislike the lack of voices.
    MI3 - ScummVM will run it. A must!
    MI4 - People don't like this one that much and it may be hard to get it running on a modern computer. Very skippable.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Then you're missing a lot. Off the top of my head, there's the chandelier in Club 41, pretty much the entire diving scene in Episode 3, the reference to porcelain, the reference to the past games in Elaine's testimony, the entire opening scene of episode 1 is a parody of the tropes of the Monkey Island series, etc. There are a lot of one-liners that I'm probably missing.

    I definitely didn't even think of those when I wrote my first post, though I did get them when I saw them in the game.

    Some other references include the entire recipe for the Cutlass of Kaflu, The Monkey in my Pocket song and really a lot of stuff that Stan said...

    TTG had the potential to go all out with the in-jokes in Trial, but it's probably as good thing they didn't.

    Also: I got Curse and Escape to run on XP without having to use ScummVM, and they worked just fine!

Add Comment