User Avatar Image

How much am I missing?

posted by Wusodoolo on - last edited - Viewed by 391 users

When I started playing this series, I had neither played nor known anything about the whole Monkey Island series beyond the fact that the main character is named Guybrush Threepwood. As I've been playing, I've been able to understand any jokes that are not referencing other Monkey Island games. I also made sure to look up characters i knew nothing about when they were introduced (Murray and Stan.) I also looked up and now understand the "insult sword fighting" and the whole "you fight like a cow" gag. But I gotta wonder: is there still a ton of hilarious jokes that i am missing because I have never played the other games? Or can I keep playing without worrying that I am missing out on most of the game because of it? Thanks in advance.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @bobdevis said: MI4 - People don't like this one that much and it may be hard to get it running on a modern computer. Very skippable.

I actually got it running natively on Vista. If I remember correctly, it only required a new launcher that a fan site has hosted somewhere. I could find it, probably.

I don't think it's as skippable as a lot of people say(that is, I consider it as skippable as Curse, which I don't like nearly as much as a lot of people, while not hating Escape nearly as much as a lot of people).

• @bobdevis said: Why don't you just play the old games first? You are kind of spoiling the old MI games for yourself by reading the back-story.
    Playing ToMI without knowledge of the old games is fine, but why would you want to skip the classics?

MI1 - Special Edition(with voice and high rez grfx) on sale on Steam. It's a must!
    MI2 - ScummVM (googe it) will run it for you. Only skip it if you dislike the lack of voices.
    MI3 - ScummVM will run it. A must!
    MI4 - People don't like this one that much and it may be hard to get it running on a modern computer. Very skippable.

Well, Since I was able to play the Sam and Max games without any knowledge of the comics or the old Sam and Max game, I just assumed the same would go for ToMI. Now I realize that was kind of a dumb thing to assume, though. And as I said before, I'm gonna try to play the older ones now. Ooh, if the first one is on steam that won't be hard to get. Thanks for the help.

• I do not suggest skipping any of them considering there are a lot of fantastic puzzles and jokes in all of the games.... MI2 is my personal favorite BTW

• @Rather Dashing said: I actually got it running natively on Vista. If I remember correctly, it only required a new launcher that a fan site has hosted somewhere. I could find it, probably.

If anyone needs it:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/escape-from-monkey-island-setup

A replacement installer (setup program) for Escape From Monkey Island. The installer that comes with the game can be problematic with newer versions of Windows and refuses to work at all on 64 bit Windows.

This installer works on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows and has been tested on Windows XP and Vista. It should work fine with all Windows versions though.

It performs a full install of the game and comes with my Escape From Monkey Island Launcher – which adds extra features beyond those in the game’s original launcher.

And you should play all 4. And if you want, play the original in original format, and later in the special edition version.

• @Wusodoolo said: Well, Since I was able to play the Sam and Max games without any knowledge of the comics or the old Sam and Max game, I just assumed the same would go for ToMI. Now I realize that was kind of a dumb thing to assume, though. And as I said before, I'm gonna try to play the older ones now. Ooh, if the first one is on steam that won't be hard to get. Thanks for the help.

Nah, it wasn't a dumb thing to assume at all, especially since you had no knowledge of the series.

Two things about the special edition:

1. You can switch between the old and new versions at any time after the credits roll by pressing F10

2. One of the first things you should do is switch to the original game and press the + key a few times. It increases the speed at which new text comes up. The voices are linked to the original game's text speed, and if you don't speed it up the voices feel a bit "stilted".

@Wusodoolo said: If anyone needs it:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/escape-from-monkey-island-setup

Oh, great! Thanks for finding that, so I wouldn't have to! ;)

• @Irishmile said: Well the first game was just released as an easy to use special edition... so that is easy enough to get on the cheap.

It's here on Steam;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/

And is available through a few other download channels if you're in North America.

• And you can download the other games by just searching in google, I think emuparadise has 2 and 3 on there for download, you just run em in ScummVM.

You are missing out on a great series.

• Suggesting using warez may not sit well with the owners of the license...

Not that I don't think they should release all four of them in a pack over Steam, using ScummVM if needed.

• Ironically enough, suggesting software piracy is not the best idea.

Add Comment