User Avatar Image

How old is Guybrush exactly?

posted by Flah on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Something has been bugging me. And it's shaped like Morgan Leflay. She claims that she's been following Guybrush Threepwood's piratey exploits all her life, ever since she was a little child. Though, to be honest Morgan doesn't look incredibly young, compared to Guybrush.

I would guess that Guybrush is, at most, in his early twenties. And he likely started pirating on Melee Island at age sixteen at the earliest (the standard age for a callow youth with a fantastic destiny ahead of him). He's certainly not scarred nor grizzled enough to have been a pirate for that since then. And he's still got his boyish good looks. In the Monkey Island continuity, we can be fairly sure that the events that have taken place so far have spanned over a period of no more than ten years. Likely even less than that.

So the question I have to ask is... Isn't Morgan a little bit well-developed for someone in her early teens?

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • liek omg no cuz monkey island was all a dream and hes been in a mental hospital the whole time

Point taken. I still wonder how old she's supposed to be, though. Not that it really matters.

• Regardless of how old Guybrush is, and I concur that he must be somewhere between 26 and 31 years old as of this game, I've noticed that groupies/fangirls (or just about anyone for that matter) tend to exaggerate when confronted by, and gushing to, their hero.

Morgan could be just 18 and have been following his career since Secret, which would have made her about 8 years old, easily classified as a little girl. I've noticed that teenagers and young adults in general tend to refer to their past selves as "little" up to about 12 years.

Obviously, this is definitely debatable and contains a lot of supposition, but Guybrush could be just 26 (inferring from the decade statement and taking into account the ages mentioned in the early games). Morgan could be 22, if he started his exploits at 16, while she was 12, this could fit into the logic of Morgan's hero worship story while still leaving them fairly close in age.

• It's fairly recent that the age of majority and marriage was limited to 18 being the acceptable age to marry.

Just take a look at as recent as a little over 100 years ago.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was 10 years younger than her husband. She WAS 18 when she got married, but at that time it was not unusual for women to get married as early as 15 or 16.

As time has gone by, the age of majority has gone up. Maybe in another 150 years, you'll be considering a child until you're 30 and the average life span will be 110 years

• In the case of Elaine's age, I don't know how politics would work in this universe, but maybe her age doesn't really matter and she immediately took over governor after her grandfather was pronounced dead or whatever. (assuming she was the only heir) I'm a bit sketchy on the details anyway, but since I'm sure she's a bit older than him, 18 or 19 in the first game would be my only safe guess.

Also, can anyone explain her reference to the timeline in court? I just replayed the game and I'm sure she actually said "then he left me hanging over a pit and went to look for the treasure of Big Whoop. I didn't see him for three years after that." This sounds like she's talking about the events near the end of MI2; I can't see how it relates to something that happened in between MI1 and MI2. If Guybrush is 19 in MI2 and 20 in MI3, how does her suggestion of three years make sense?

• My wife is Asian... some of her sister's got married to older men when they were just teenagers... different culture.

• @Jade Zealot said: I wonder how old Elaine is, then. She was the governor of Melee Island in MI1, and if Guybrush was only 16... robbing the cradle, anyone?

Elaine's always been depicted as being fairly close to Guybrush in age, and I'm not so sure about the three years bit. I really doubt he was just 16 in Secret. My guess is he was at least 18 in that game.

Also, I don't have any memory of the three years line, so I'm just going off of what others have said for that. I can't see it referring to the MI2/Curse gap. I mean, even in the Monkey Island universe, three years is a long time to survive in a coffin without food or water. Plus Elaine was poxed at the time and spewing all sorts of nonsense (assuming the line was said during this game. I honestly don't have any idea when she's supposed to have said it). I'm definitely more inclined to believe Stan on that than Elaine.

• From what I personally have seen:

in MI2, Guybrush is 19. Since Largo's been on the track of the mystical beard of LeChuck for "years", Guybrush was probably 16 in MI1 (although allegedly the game manuals put just a month between the two games).

In CMI, I gather Guybrush claims 20, consistent with other indications in the game (eg Wallys subscription to LeChuck's pirating course) that a year has passed snce MI2. However, in TMI Stan says it was only three months, and Elaine says it was three years.

EMI is meant to be three months after CMI, but obviously that's not true. Obvoiusly Guybrush and Elaine postponed their three-month honeymoon in order to settle down living together in the mansion, get Timmy, move Guybrush's stuff into the mansion, rebuild the interior of the mansion, move the SCUMM bar..... :D OK, but let's say he's still 20.

A 'decade' of adventures in TMI seems reasonable to date from Elaine giving up all her political appointments to become a full-tiime pirate at the end of EMI - so, TMI must be tennish years later, Guybrush about 30 years old

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Jade Zealot said: I wonder how old Elaine is, then. She was the governor of Melee Island in MI1, and if Guybrush was only 16... robbing the cradle, anyone?

Tutenkhamun was 9 years old when he became pharoah, Henry the Young King was crowned at the age of 15, and even the current British monarch Queen Elizabeth II began her reign at the relatively young age of 25. Given the time period of Monkey Island, I think it's perfectly plausible that Elaine is no older than 20 in SMI.

• Ok, just reading all you said and my personal gut is that Guybrush is in his late 20's or early 30's and Elaine is probably one year older than him.

• @FitzoliverJ said:
    In CMI, I gather Guybrush claims 20, consistent with other indications in the game (eg Wallys subscription to LeChuck's pirating course) that a year has passed snce MI2. However, in TMI Stan says it was only three months, and Elaine says it was three years.

It can still fit in regards to Stan comment, Guybrush could of been 19 years old and 11 months in MI2, add three months on to that and you get 20 years old and two months. I just gather that Elaine is bad with her time keeping or an easy script error, Three Months and Three Years are close, just one word wrong.

Add Comment