User Avatar Image

My only gripe about the Tales series...

posted by jimmyoneshot on - last edited - Viewed by 207 users

...is the use of recycled faces throughout the game, which only seems to happen with the shorter fatter characters.

I don't mind when this is used for characters that only have relatively small parts but when there are those that are present a lot throughout the entire series, such as Mr Winslow, I feel it detracts from the value of the character when they look very much like so many other characters in the series.

I may be wrong but I feel as though the news reporter from episode 1, Mr Winslow and the bailiff are all more or less the exact same character model, merely with alterations in skin color and different hair/facial hair applied almost reminiscent of putting different face and hair parts on a Mr Potato head toy. I just feel as though a slight bit more effort could have been put in to these characters to make them look a little bit different from each other.

I am such a fan of Monkey Island overall that usually when someone comes up with a negative about the series I invent some excuse for it or overlook it entirely but this is more or less the only negative I have personally. Does anyone else feel the same or am I just being picky?

Overall it's a fantastic game and as a whole I think the episodes are on par with MI2 which was the best in the series in my opinion. :cool:

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've been lurking on these boards for a while, and I seem to remember a lot of complaints about this when Launch of the Screaming Narwhal came out.

I can definitely see what you mean, and it's not just the short fat model either--a lot of the characters share models with other characters. I think they've got better at disguising it as the series has gone on, though.

• I think they've got better at disguising it as the series has gone on, though.

Yep. It was rather annoying in the first chapter, but i think they did a good job at hiding them afterwards. You still can notice them, but way less.
    Also, i don't know if it was related to this, but not having Nipperkin in the last chapter sure helped there.

• @jimmyoneshot said:
    the news reporter from episode 1, Mr Winslow and the bailiff are all more or less the exact same character model

AND D'Oro. Caused me much confusion during the Trial :confused:

• Probably why they removed his eye

• Maybe they're all half-brothers?

Congrats, you just uncovered the second-biggest conspiracy in the ToMI storyline!

• it distracts me to the point where I really see this series as low budget and some sort of fan made.. it's still good, but common the characters are just too bad. Few good characters don't make up for the dozen of recycled ones.. one way telltale solved it is to just show 1-3 characters (best episode was episode 3 just for the difference in characters) in the episode which makes everything seem empty.. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with tales (and I find it much better than Sam and Max), but still the one thing to really improve upon are the characters.. Imagine you're watching a tv show and one guy is playing the role of 3 people and looking very much the same.. I wouldn't watch it

• There are two models that are recylced, Short/Fat, and Tall/thin

Short/Fat models:
    Nipperkin
    D'oro
    Winslow
    Bailiff/arguing pirate
    Noogie
    Audience in court
    Judge/bartender

Tall/Thin Models

Glass Blower
    Pirate with artifact
    Pirate whose nose you break,
    Pirate with nol legs+Cat
    Bartender guy in manatee

I think that's all of them. They weren't really noticeable in chapter 3.

• @Friar said: There are two models that are recylced, Short/Fat, and Tall/thin

Short/Fat models:
    Nipperkin
    D'oro
    Winslow
    Bailiff/arguing pirate
    Noogie
    Audience in court
    Judge/bartender

Tall/Thin Models

Glass Blower
    Pirate with artifact
    Pirate whose nose you break,
    Pirate with nol legs+Cat
    Bartender guy in manatee

I think that's all of them. They weren't really noticeable in chapter 3.

Technically, the merperson model was also recycled for the three Vakalian characters in chapter 2, and Guybrush's model was recycled for De Cava.

• @Astro Gnocci said: not having Nipperkin in the last chapter sure helped there.

Hmm.. First he makes a lot of money, then he burns to death. Does somebody at Telltale not like lottery winners?! :D

• @apenpaap said: Technically, the merperson model was also recycled for the three Vakalian characters in chapter 2, and Guybrush's model was recycled for De Cava.

I never realised that. I just google image'd De Cava, and was shocked at the results.

Add Comment