User Avatar Image

My only gripe about the Tales series...

posted by jimmyoneshot on - last edited - Viewed by 389 users

...is the use of recycled faces throughout the game, which only seems to happen with the shorter fatter characters.

I don't mind when this is used for characters that only have relatively small parts but when there are those that are present a lot throughout the entire series, such as Mr Winslow, I feel it detracts from the value of the character when they look very much like so many other characters in the series.

I may be wrong but I feel as though the news reporter from episode 1, Mr Winslow and the bailiff are all more or less the exact same character model, merely with alterations in skin color and different hair/facial hair applied almost reminiscent of putting different face and hair parts on a Mr Potato head toy. I just feel as though a slight bit more effort could have been put in to these characters to make them look a little bit different from each other.

I am such a fan of Monkey Island overall that usually when someone comes up with a negative about the series I invent some excuse for it or overlook it entirely but this is more or less the only negative I have personally. Does anyone else feel the same or am I just being picky?

Overall it's a fantastic game and as a whole I think the episodes are on par with MI2 which was the best in the series in my opinion. :cool:

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One pirate who battled LeChuck in Chapter 2 also reused Guybrush's model. He WAS a VERY minor character, though.

• It's because of space constraints.

Once again, thank you Wiiware.

• @Friar said: I never realised that. I just google image'd De Cava, and was shocked at the results.

You were shocked by the power of suggestion, then, because though they have similar body types, they're different.

• Well, the only complain that I have is that I can't actually play this as a regular point-n-click adventure, because of the muffed-up control scheme.

• there is a Pirate that tries to get the artifact from LeChuck that is a repainted Guybrush and I think Bugeye is as well.

• @apenpaap said: Technically, the merperson model was also recycled for the three Vakalian characters in chapter 2, and Guybrush's model was recycled for De Cava.

Ehnnn... Just because they're both lean people, doesn't mean they're the same model. Guybrush's waist isn't as skinny as DeCava's, for one.

• I could swear they're the same model, but I guess if Jake says they're not then I'm probably wrong.

• Jake seems to be quoted here alot and he will later come in and say .."uh I said what now?"
    Well me too here I go.... I think Jake said in a different, other, previous, probably buried under an X, dont try to find it thread.... that he wished he could be as cool as me... true story.

• @Irishmile said: Jake seems to be quoted here alot and he will later come in and say .."uh I said what now?"
    Well me too here I go.... I think Jake said in a different, other, previous, probably buried under an X, dont try to find it thread.... that he wished he could be as cool as me... true story.

lol!

I don't get why people are genuinely bothered by the recycling of models. Sure, TTG base the characters on similar models. But then, you don't look at two cars and go "they're both about 15feet; that's just ridiculous and lazy!"

I know people are genuinely bemused by this, I just can't get my head around it (past the possible lack of memorable features for some of the earliest introductions). D'Oro and Nipperkin are very different characters, just as Guybrush, Bugeye et al. All have very different characters.

Y'know, I think its the hair; half of the earliest ones didn't have any :)

• I never noticed the reused models, not even the pirates in Episode 1, until it was brought to my attention. I wish it wasn't, because somehow I unconsciously look for similarities in models ever since. And yes, at one point I also thought to see similarities between the Guybrush model and DeCava. Very annoying! I just want to enjoy the games, damnit!

Add Comment