User Avatar Image

Guybrush Threefoot

posted by KevinD872 on - last edited - Viewed by 758 users

I know most of you won't care, but I thought this was kind of funny and wanted to share....

With all the Monkey Island going around our house lately, our 5 year old daughter has been humming the song, which I think is kind of cute. But what's funny is every now and then she'll mention the game or ask a question about it but when she does, she calls him "Guybrush Threefoot", despite us constantly trying to correct her. I just find it funny because the series has always had the running joke of other characters mispronouncing his name. :)

Any of you others with small children experience a similar thing?

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Aw, that's cute.
    Nope, no smaller children, although my mom once called him "Streepford" or something like that.

• I can't say that I've ever introduced anyone to the series who was that young, but even after a decade of my sister and I being fans of the series (though I've never managed to get her to take the time to play any game other than Curse), my parents still don't know who "Guybrush" is.

• My friend on IMs for some reason always spells his name "gyebrush." >:| Every time she said it I would always make fun of her by going "GAYBRUSH" but she still makes the same typo a lot.

• A lot of my friends call him Gaybrush on purpose. >.

• @Maxilyah said: A lot of my friends call him Gaybrush on purpose. >.<

my friend does that to annoy me and one called him guybrush dickwood and thought they where cleaver

• Ah yes jokes for the lowest common denominator

• LOL i guess this is how the joke of getting his name wrong came from. im guessing when they told the team who the main char is they kept getting his name wrong and thought it was pretty funny to put it in the game

• @balin2k said: ...when they told the team who the main char is...

Somebody doesn't know their Monkey Trivia™. Guybrush's first name comes from the naming convention used by DPaint which gave files the extension of ".brush". The character was as yet unnamed so the original sprites were just saved as "guy". Put together this gives us "guy.brush". :D

His last name was just left down to a vote, so I doubt it came as a great surprise to any of them.

@balin2k said: The SCUMM Bar[/url]"]Threepwood was decided in a company contest - the name comes from the book "The Brinkmanship of Galahad Threepwood" (US title).

Oh, and very funny about your daughter. I don't have any children (yet, I'm only 21!!), and haven't really introduced the games to many people, definitely nobody that young.

• My dad, who's in his mid-fifties, likes to call him 'Graybush' or 'Gaybrush'. At one point it was because he really couldn't remember it, then it was just to be funny. :d

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Staff

@monkey_05_06 said: Somebody doesn't know their Monkey Trivia™. Guybrush's first name comes from the naming convention used by DPaint which gave files the extension of ".brush". The character was as yet unnamed so the original sprites were just saved as "guy". Put together this gives us "guy.brush". :D

Mostly true, but Wikipedia actually gets the details slightly wrong. For the obsessively detail-oriented among you: The DPaint extension for brush files was .bbm (remember that file extensions could only be three letters in those days). The file was named guybrush.bbm, but the "brush" was included by Steve Purcell, who did the drawing, rather than by DPaint itself.

Add Comment