User Avatar Image

How old is Guybrush exactly?

posted by Flah on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Something has been bugging me. And it's shaped like Morgan Leflay. She claims that she's been following Guybrush Threepwood's piratey exploits all her life, ever since she was a little child. Though, to be honest Morgan doesn't look incredibly young, compared to Guybrush.

I would guess that Guybrush is, at most, in his early twenties. And he likely started pirating on Melee Island at age sixteen at the earliest (the standard age for a callow youth with a fantastic destiny ahead of him). He's certainly not scarred nor grizzled enough to have been a pirate for that since then. And he's still got his boyish good looks. In the Monkey Island continuity, we can be fairly sure that the events that have taken place so far have spanned over a period of no more than ten years. Likely even less than that.

So the question I have to ask is... Isn't Morgan a little bit well-developed for someone in her early teens?

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It could all just be a simple case of "just a phrase" too yknow. Lots and lots of evidence and facts but it's our beloved Monkey Island, not the hunt for Obama's birth certificate. Most people I know who say "follow something their whole lives" is a grey area that can be anywhere from "watching a movie of them at age 5" to "discovering them on the still-young internet at age 13". If Morgan has been following Guybrush all her life, it still wouldnt mean too much. If he was 15 in the first game and it's been about 13-15 years since then, then our Morgan could easily be in her early twenties.

As far as Guybrush's age, wasn't there some article saying that it had been (like real time) 10 years since MI4, and Guybrush has spent the entire time crafting the cutlass? That'd make him about 31 I'd say.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Also, if Elaine's reference to leaving her for three years is indeed an indication to the time between the first and second games, that would make him 16 in Secret and might also explain why she was so pissed off at him in Monkey 2.

Okay, I finally saw that line in context tonight (I think I went straight for the sponge the first time I played chapter 4), and it's definitely intended to be referring to the MI2/Curse gap. Given that Stan wouldn't have survived in a coffin for three whole years, plus Elaine's tendency to exaggerate while poxed, I'm sticking with Stan's three months and saying that we have nothing at all to indicate his age in Secret.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Given that Stan wouldn't have survived in a coffin for three whole years

But he would for 3 months?!?!

• Yeah, three months is also a long time to survive in a coffin, but it's not much less plausible than having business cards made up while locked inside that coffin, and it's much more plausible than three years.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

That's easy: here's an equation

2^((pi*(n+m)/s)
    Age = V*-------------------
    h+H

where
    n = number of pixels in the original Guybrush sprite 1 while idle (from MI 1)
    s = number of times Stan moved his arms on all MI games (up to MI 5)
    m = number of times Elaine thought about Guybrush
    V = Voodoo Lady's constant of unknown, doom and foretelling
    h = number of "har" "spoken" by LeChuck
    H = number of "har" written on screen in the non talkie versions

You'll have to find the V constant though, by some oddity I have forgotten after asking the Voodoo Lady...

• I'm sorry, I know it's an old thread, but I was about to start a new one on this same subject and I thought using this one might be better?

I'm inclined to believe Stan when he says he was locked in the coffin for three months (survived by eating a previous corpse if I remember correctly. Doesn't explain how he kept hydrated but that's cartoon logic for you).

I too was wondering about the "three years" Elaine mentioned...
    But I'm going to say that she's poxed and pissed, so she's mixing up her timeline (seems more likely than Stan thinking he was locked in a coffin for 3 months when it was 3 years).

And since sometimes when you complain about someone, you say things out of order...
    I'm going to say she didn't see him for 3 months after the Big Whoop thing, but she also didn't see him for three years between secret and revenge (or less but she exaggerated, could be a bit over two years for instance), and she just got herself mixed up while complaining.

So... I would say Guybrush would be 16-17 in the first game, then we know he's 19 in the second, 20 in the third (the two ages that are given in-game), then three months pass so he has to still be 20, and since they adventured for about ten years together he'd be around 26 in Tales.
    Morgan might be 20 or so, meaning she'd be 10 at the time of Secret, and followed Guybrush since then.
    Elaine I always pictured as older than Guybrush by at least a few years but I'll agree there is nothing definite about that since her age is never given anywhere.

Does anyone has other theories and/or do we have any official word about the "three months" vs "three years" thing?

EDIT: oh, and about Stan and his jacket. I'd say he's exaggerating more than lying. He wear a different jacket in MI2 due to it being coffins (so he chose more... funeral colours) but I think he really means he's had that jacket for about 20 years, even though he didn't wear it non-stop.
    He also says his mojo comes from the pattern, so I'd say he became a salesman about 20 years ago. If he started as early as Guybrush that would make him ten years older than him, or 26 in Secret and 36 in Tales. But he could also have started later and be more around 30 in Secrets and 40 in Tales.

I think that's all for the recurring characters. I wouldn't try to figure out the Voodoo Lady's age because she probably uses voodoo, and Murray is already dead so that's irrelevant.
    And LeChuck, well he died too. I'd say human LeChuck was probably the age of LeChuck when he died rather than the age he would be if he was still alive.

• @avistew said: I'm sorry, I know it's an old thread, but I was about to start a new one on this same subject and I thought using this one might be better?

I'm inclined to believe Stan when he says he was locked in the coffin for three months (survived by eating a previous corpse if I remember correctly. Doesn't explain how he kept hydrated but that's cartoon logic for you).

HE ATE A CORPSE? :eek: :eek: :eek: I never heard that! That's gross.

I too was wondering about the "three years" Elaine mentioned...
    But I'm going to say that she's poxed and pissed, so she's mixing up her timeline (seems more likely than Stan thinking he was locked in a coffin for 3 months when it was 3 years).

And since sometimes when you complain about someone, you say things out of order...
    I'm going to say she didn't see him for 3 months after the Big Whoop thing, but she also didn't see him for three years between secret and revenge (or less but she exaggerated, could be a bit over two years for instance), and she just got herself mixed up while complaining.

I agree with this.

So... I would say Guybrush would be 16-17 in the first game, then we know he's 19 in the second, 20 in the third (the two ages that are given in-game), then three months pass so he has to still be 20, and since they adventured for about ten years together he'd be around 26 in Tales.
    Morgan might be 20 or so, meaning she'd be 10 at the time of Secret, and followed Guybrush since then.
    Elaine I always pictured as older than Guybrush by at least a few years but I'll agree there is nothing definite about that since her age is never given anywhere.

I agree with this too, except that it sounded more like 10 years since they had been adventuring together, which would be Curse, not Secret. So Guybrush would be 30 in Tales.

Does anyone has other theories and/or do we have any official word about the "three months" vs "three years" thing?

Since Guybrush says he's 19 in Revenge and 20 in Curse, there can't be 3 years between them, but three months could be, so I'd say your explanation is right.

oh, and about Stan and his jacket. I'd say he's exaggerating more than lying. He wear a different jacket in MI2 due to it being coffins (so he chose more... funeral colours) but I think he really means he's had that jacket for about 20 years, even though he didn't wear it non-stop.

There's no reason to assume he started shortly before Secret. He could have been in business and weasring his jacket for 6 years already then.

I think that's all for the recurring characters. I wouldn't try to figure out the Voodoo Lady's age because she probably uses voodoo, and Murray is already dead so that's irrelevant.
    And LeChuck, well he died too. I'd say human LeChuck was probably the age of LeChuck when he died rather than the age he would be if he was still alive.

I always picture LeChuck in his fourties or maybe fifties.

• @apenpaap said: There's no reason to assume he started shortly before Secret. He could have been in business and weasring his jacket for 6 years already then.

Or 10 is the "ten years adventuring" start at Secret. But yeah, that's what I think too.

About Stan surviving in the coffin, I honestly can't say I'm 100% sure, but I seemed to remember that was what happened. I think I read it somewhere or other, that could be wrong. I'm probably going to play Curse again soon so I'll tell you about that then.

EDIT: I think I might have read it on wikipedia

Stan ends up in a crypt on Blood Island and manages to survive by feeding on the remains of a previous corpse until Guybrush frees him in The Curse of Monkey Island a year later.

Of course, considering it's wikipedia (and that they say "a year later" but that could be due to his age going from 19 to 20), that doesn't mean anything. That could just be someone's theory, or that could be something Stan says if you question him in Curse. Does anyone know more about that?

• @avistew said: So... I would say Guybrush would be 16-17 in the first game, then we know he's 19 in the second, 20 in the third (the two ages that are given in-game), then three months pass so he has to still be 20, and since they adventured for about ten years together he'd be around 26 in Tales.

Umm actually I think he's a tad older in the first game. Although not certain, I think I've read somewhere that he was 19 or so in SMI. There were three years that passed between SMI and LCR, putting him at 22 (however, inside Phatt Island library he says he's 21 upon making the library card). There is at least sixth months between LCR and SMI, so that would make him still 22 years old in CMI. In EMI, however, his age has never been pointed out since we're not sure how long their honeymoon was. But let's say it was also 5-6 month, so that would put Guybrush at 23 years old in EMI. Subsequently, in Tales he already comes from a "year long" adventure as he states, but Elaine says there was an interval of three years between Tales and CMI, therefore, Guybrush must be something like 24 or 25 years old.

As for Elaine, she's a little bit older than him. I think, though unsure again, she was 22 in SMI. So that would put her, with the same count, at 27-28 in Tales. And Morgan, yeah, I think she's barely 20.

• @Uzrname said: Umm actually I think he's a tad older in the first game. Although not certain, I think I've read somewhere that he was 19 or so in SMI. There were three years that passed between SMI and LCR, putting him at 22 (however, inside Phatt Island library he says he's 21 upon making the library card).

He's 19 in Revenge. When he gets the library card he says he's ninete- er, I mean twenty-one.
    There is at least sixth months between LCR and SMI, so that would make him still 22 years old in CMI. In EMI, however, his age has never been pointed out since we're not sure how long their honeymoon was. But let's say it was also 5-6 month, so that would put Guybrush at 23 years old in EMI.
    In Tales, Stan says there were 3 months between Revenge and Curse, and in Escape both Guybrush and Elaine say their honeymoon was 3 months a couple of times.
    Subsequently, in Tales he already comes from a "year long" adventure as he states, but Elaine says there was an interval of three years between Tales and CMI, therefore, Guybrush must be something like 24 or 25 years old.
    In Tales it is said Guybrush and Elaine have been pirating together for ten years. Though whether that means ten years since Secret or ten years since Curse/Escape is not clear.

Add Comment