User Avatar Image

DeSinge - anyone else not care?

posted by Armand1880 on - last edited - Viewed by 999 users

Minor Spoilers...
From the very first episode - I didn't care about DeSinge.
Monkey Island has always been great about taking characters who are small - who are merely there to entertain, or to even change the direction of the plot - and make you care about them or enjoy them. DeSinge - I didn't like him, and even though he did change the direction of the plot (sending Morgan after Guybrush, causing Guybrush to lose a hand, having Morgan bring him back to Flotsam, taking focus off of the real villain, the final confrontation...) I didn't care about him, and I feel like he is one of the most forgettable characters in MI history. I guess what I am saying is that this is the first MI character that I've encountered who, even though might be important to the plot, I didn't care about. I'm not going to say he is the most unlikable character in the whole series, but he ranks up there.

I understand his role, I get why he is there - I just didn't care about him at all. Every time he was referenced I thought - oh geeze, guess they've got to bring him up again. Didn't like him, didn't care about him - which stinks, because I feel like I care about most MI characters - even the little ones. (I always wished Capt. Smirk would have come back up - MI2 or MI3 or something).

Another point - I feel like this is the first Monkey Island game with really really forgettable characters. anyone else feel that way? All the other games seemed to have great supporting players (even EMI) but this one...most of them are just forgettable. thoughts?

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought he was great.

But I gotta agree that there are a lot of forgettable supporting characters in TMI. I can't remember most of their names outside of Morgan, Winslow, De Cava, the frat boy trio, and De Singe.

• Actually, he reminded me of that character in Black Adder (The Third) with Rowan Atkinson...Since I liked the series, maybe this is why I liked his character..

d6wp-2.jpg

• @Vira said: I thought he was great.

But I gotta agree that there are a lot of forgettable supporting characters in TMI. I can't remember most of their names outside of Morgan, Winslow, De Cava, the frat boy trio, and De Singe.

Should be more than that, anyway? Old games slightly have more characters, okay, but I believe the real reason why one can remember all of them is that old games weren't sliced into 5 different parts. This means, because the game is big enough in itself, there are more puzzles, and more than one puzzle may be around only one character, and this means more interaction with this character. The more talking to this character, the deeper scar it carves into your brain. Also, once you get stuck, because there are more places to go and more possibilities that may solve your problem at the moment, you're forced to talk all the characters in the game you've encountered. It's not like in episodic gaming, for instance, to solve a puzzle in the second episode you don't have to talk to a character in the first episode, and this gives you the chance of forgeting this character after beating the first episode.

It doesn't have to be purely about the quality of the characters, it may also be a quirk of episodic gaming; if you tend to forget the characters in Tales easier than the other games in the franchise.

• I like DeSinge. I mean, I dislike him because he's a villain, but I dislike him to the point where it's funny and I like him.
    Does that make sense?
    No?
    I'll just go somewhere else.

• @Maxilyah said: I like DeSinge. I mean, I dislike him because he's a villain, but I dislike him to the point where it's funny and I like him.
    Does that make sense?
    No?
    I'll just go somewhere else.

How could you possibly _not_ like a villain...? I always liked the villain better than the protagonist. The villain's more powerful, sexier and usually has a greater aura then Mr. Good Guy.

Take Alan Rickman vs sorry-excuse-fo-a-Robin-Hood Kevin Costner for example. :D

• I don't like de Singe. He doesn't feel like part of the universe. In fact, he doesn't seem human. The moment I saw him I thought "uh oh- Telltale has dropped the ball on this". I was proved wrong by subsequent characters, puzzles and plot points but de Singe remains an irritant for me.

• I love Desinge hes better then ozzie mandrill ever was because they had him having nothing to do with LeChuck so he can develop on his own

• @Mermaid said: Actually, he reminded me of that character in Black Adder (The Third) with Rowan Atkinson...Since I liked the series, maybe this is why I liked his character..

d6wp-2.jpg

YES! That's who he reminds me of now!

I don't know if I remember this as a throwaway line in Chapter 4, but doesn't De Singe say he's not actually French after all? Leading a confused Guybrush to say that he assumed he was, what with the accent and the clothes?

• @MarcoPollo said: YES! That's who he reminds me of now!

This character also had a very similar line to DeSinge's:

"Would you like to earn some money?"
    -"No. I want other people to earn it and then give it to me."

--> "I don't get people. I hire people like you to get them for me." :D

• I'm not really crazy about DeSinge, he's too over the top with his mwahaha I've got an evil plan to take over the world Saturday morning cartoon personality. He's the weakest part of the series in my opinion, however his lab is awesome. I wish he'd been a little more like a creepier Dr Fred.

Add Comment