User Avatar Image

Good books thread

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 530 users

H'okay, so I searched the forums and there's no book thread. Considering that a large part of adventure games' appeal lies in the writing, and that I'm assuming a lot of you like adventure games, it's not unreasonable to conclude that some of you like books.

So, got any good ones? Both fiction and non-fiction count; if it's fiction, a good story is a must, and good prose, dialogue and characters earn you an extra virtual pat on the back.

The last two books I read that I put down thinking were spectacular were The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler, and Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'll stick to The Big Sleep, just to give you a good first impression of this thread by keeping it short.

Although convoluted, the story's good and the mystery's interesting enough to keep you plowing, but the style and atmosphere of the thing are excellent. The characters and dialogue deserve a special shout-out as well. This book largely influenced Tim Schafer when working on Grim Fandango, and for good reason. And it's funny - very funny. Here's the first paragraph: [quote]It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.
[/quote]

Read a bit here.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Cheers Kroms, might give it a go. Not read a good book for ages.

• Just about anything by Anne Rice is excellent. My favourites are The Vampire Lestat, Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch the Devil, Servant of the Bones and her later Christ: The Lord series.

Waiting for Angel Time to fall into my mailbox. Currently reading Blackwood Farm. Her attention to detail and her way of writing and storytelling is so magnificent.

Also, another book I just recently read: Kafka on the Shore. Fantastic book, perhaps my favourite book so far. I'm not such an avid reader, and I was surprised I read through it. But I read more and more, and so far Anne Rice and Murakami (Kafka OTS) are my favourite writers. Anyone know what else Murakami has written that's well worth reading? Anything quite as good as Kafka?

• I read A Wild Sheep Chase, which was bizarre but interesting, and most of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which I unfortunately had to quit because of exams, and never got back into. It's been enough time for me to re-try. Based on what I've heard, Kafka is the worst book he's written, so: anything else, really! I know Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is a tough read, so you might want to leave that one till later

• Love The Big Sleep. And most Raymond Chandler books for that matter. Dashiell Hammet, too.

Of recent books, I highly recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, about a little girl living in Germany during WWII. It's an incredibly moving story the struggle of life and the power of words. It's bound to make you cry by the end, but it's not as bleakly depressing as you might expect from the subject matter.

• LoL, I thought the title was "Good Looks thread"

• Well, I love Terry Pratchett. So, uh, go read his books. Or something.

I tend to like reading books 'bout random information, so I think both Book of General Ignorance and Book of Animal Ignorance are good, and Why Do Men Have Nipples? was interesting.

The Hunger Games is cool, Dave Barry is funny, Bill Bryson is funny and a traveler, but he's written some science-y and English-y stuff. (A Brief History of the World is interesting, and nice to look at if it's the special one with images and stuff and god I'm horrible with words.) You've probably heard of Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers books/radio/TV/movie, but he's also written Last Chance to See, which is basically about endangered species around the world (better than it sounds, I swear). If you find it, read The Meaning of Liff and tell me how it is.

• I am a voracious reader and I state what I'm currently reading in my sig.

There's a hell of a lot of authors whose stuff I've not read, and I can't say I've read many 'classics' but I read for my enjoyment and if that is found in some old kids book which I've loved since I was a child then what's wrong with that.

• Since last semester my sister has read 166 books.

• Do you know http://www.anobii.com/?

It's a social network about books, here's my library:

http://www.anobii.com/gozzoman/

(You can choose to see only English books, selecting the proper option in the left column.)

Cheers :D

• @MalkyTop said: Well, I love Terry Pratchett. So, uh, go read his books. Or something.

What MalkyTop said. x40.

Add Comment