User Avatar Image

Telltale no longer have the rights to make further Bone games

posted by jp-30 on - last edited - Viewed by 640 users

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=3708&category=telltale

DEN: What about some of the other franchises, I know you have announced the next Sam and Max, but what about future installments of Bone, or Strong Bad?

Dave Grossman::( There won’t be any more Bone games, our agreement ended...

No surprise, but it's nice to have a definitive statement.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh well. It's not like it was my #1 choice for a Telltale Game anyways. There be other things to be focused on.

• Considering how many years have passed, it's not surprising that whatever original agreement they entered into has now expired. The question is, was allowing that agreement to lapse necessarily involuntary? Jeff Smith was apparently quite happy with the handling of his source material, and Telltale seems to be working on a new project all the time. It would surprise me to learn that Smith would somehow be restricting Telltale from making more games if they were inclined to do so, and as far as I know he and his wife essentially are Cartoon Books. I'm sure I could be simplifying a thorny legal situation, but I'm speculating that this decision was Telltale's, for better or worse.

• Their agreement ended when warner bros bought the rights with the film deal.

• @Icedhope said: Their agreement ended when warner bros bought the rights with the film deal.

Well that sucks then. Not the film deal, but the thought there's going to be a Bone tie-in platformer is a little depressing. (I'm guessing that's what Warner Bros. would do with the license, anyway.)

• @Udvarnoky said: Considering how many years have passed, it's not surprising that whatever original agreement they entered into has now expired. The question is, was allowing that agreement to lapse necessarily involuntary? Jeff Smith was apparently quite happy with the handling of his source material, and Telltale seems to be working on a new project all the time. It would surprise me to learn that Smith would somehow be restricting Telltale from making more games if they were inclined to do so, and as far as I know he and his wife essentially are Cartoon Books. I'm sure I could be simplifying a thorny legal situation, but I'm speculating that this decision was Telltale's, for better or worse.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but its interesting.

• @Lena_P said: Well that sucks then. Not the film deal, but the thought there's going to be a Bone tie-in platformer is a little depressing. (I'm guessing that's what Warner Bros. would do with the license, anyway.)

With the sucess of Scribblenauts and Arkham Asylum, I don't see where they could go wrong with it.

I've enjoyed there recent titles.

• @jp-30 said: No surprise, but it's nice to have a definitive statement.

It would have been nicer to have a definitive statement from TTG staff made through their web site rather than in some interview.

• Haha! Pardon me; I'm not laughing at the subject. But I have to say, I found the interview article's title quite clever.

• @Icedhope said: With the sucess of Scribblenauts and Arkham Asylum, I don't see where they could go wrong with it.

I've enjoyed there recent titles.

I'm hoping it's a bizarre mix of the two gameplay styles.

• @Lena_P said: Well that sucks then. Not the film deal, but the thought there's going to be a Bone tie-in platformer is a little depressing. (I'm guessing that's what Warner Bros. would do with the license, anyway.)

It's not like TTG stuck to their guns with this license, it deserves to go back to the owners...
    If I was Jeff Smith, I would be quite disapointed.
    Won't you when Monkey Island and S&M will be stopped because there is an Avatar/Call of duty adventure game?

Add Comment