User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

The eighth one was called "King's Quest: Mask of Eternity". I think it was done in 3D, during that horrible period in the 90s when a lot of decent 2D series were bringing out visually inferior 3D sequels.

• @puzzlebox said: The eighth one was called "King's Quest: Mask of Eternity". I think it was done in 3D, during that horrible period in the 90s when a lot of decent 2D series were bringing out visually inferior 3D sequels.

Oh, wow...why can't anything be 2D anymore, made for such classic feel to the games.

• @puzzlebox said: The eighth one was called "King's Quest: Mask of Eternity". I think it was done in 3D, during that horrible period in the 90s when a lot of decent 2D series were bringing out visually inferior 3D sequels.

LOL, yeah that's about right.

So, now that's all cleared up. This fan project looks promising though.

I think that's the King's Quest Collection for Wins Xp, on stream, Icedhope.

Which doesn't include 8 and includes a remake of the first game.

• @doodo! said: LOL, yeah that's about right.

So, now that's all cleared up. This fan project looks promising though.

I think that's the King's Quest Collection for Wins Xp, on stream, Icedhope.

Which doesn't include 8 and includes a remake of the first game.

With that said, is it worth getting? Or not really..This fan game looks amazing but I don't want to be clueless to the story.

• @Icedhope said: With that said, is it worth getting? Or not really..This fan game looks amazing but I don't want to be clueless to the story.

The first game is remade but the sequels are all original. The second and third games have very dated graphics.The first game is pretty good but it's graphics have been slightly updated. I don't know if I can play the other first two games because the graphics aren't so great.

Also, the Quests are a text adventure from the first game up until the fifth game.

I've been playing the first game. I've noticed that you really have to think ahead in these games, you don't know you're screwed until later. Your choices effect what happens in the game presently and in the future. Also you can die in the game and get game overs, so saving is a good thing to keep in mind.
    Over all it seems like a good game, some times it's hard to type in the right commands.

It's really a mixed bag, but you can DL the first game and then decide if you want to buy it.

• @doodo! said: The first game is remade but the sequels are all original. The second and third games have very dated graphics.The first game is pretty good but it's graphics have been slightly updated. I don't know if I can play the other first two games because the graphics aren't so great.

Also, the Quests are a text adventure from the first game up until the fifth game.

I've been playing the first game. I've noticed that you really have to think ahead in these games, you don't know you're screwed until later. Your choices effect what happens in the game presently and in the future. Also you can die in the game and get game overs, so saving is a good thing to keep in mind.
    Over all it seems like a good game, some times it's hard to type in the right commands.

It's really a mixed bag, but you can DL the first game and then decide if you want to buy it.

So, I'm taking it these games are a lot like the original space quest and Sierras old adventure games, and if that is the case then I'm sold on it.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Icedhope said: So, I'm taking it these games are a lot like the original space quest and Sierras old adventure games, and if that is the case then I'm sold on it.

They are, in fact, old Sierra adventure games. ;)

The 7th game is more "modern" and holds up well against today's adventure gaming standards. Here's the opening video - the human animation is not the greatest but it reminds me of a Disney movie. The graphics, characters, music, humour and story are all very memorable. In fact the music is FANTASTIC.

If you only get one of them, make it the 7th game!

(I've sold myself on it, think I need to go replay it now. :p)

• The game is actually teaching me a little about life. King's Quest 1.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I suppose the gameplay mimics real life in a way - screw up early on and it might come back to bite you in the ass later. :p

• @puzzlebox said: I suppose the gameplay mimics real life in a way - screw up early on and it might come back to bite you in the ass later. :p

Stupid Cat...

Add Comment