User Avatar Image

Thank God LucasArts canceled Sam & Max: Freelance Police

posted by Smollie on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Yep, I'm glad they did! For now I can look forward to a lot more Sam & Max adventures on a regular basis in the future, thanks to the wonderful people at TellTale!
For had LucasArts released Sam & Max: Freelance Police, that would probably have been the only game with S&M content for years to come.
True, it would have been fun, but only for a short period of time.

Now, instead, Sam & Max are coming to me on a regular basis, to satiate my need for cartoony mayhem and critical outlook on the world!
No, I wouldn't want to have it any other way!!!

69 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I totally agree with you on this! =)

• But I still wish I could see what they had finished on it :)

• Yes, I was very afraid of how an episodic adventure game would turn out but it probably has turned out better for the series had the sequel from LucasArts came out. Who knows, it might not have turned out very good anyway. They probably would've butchered on mass to appeal to a large(r) audiance. :( Either way, Telltale should be very proud of how well Season 1 is and is doing, and relieved it didn't bomb because that would've sucked a majoruscy for everyone.

• User Avatar Image
    LGH

Smollie, you're absolutely right! I still think that the LucasArts game might have turned out really, really good, but having played Ep 1-4 by now, I can claim with certitude:

LEC'S FREELANCE POLICE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN WHAT WE GOT FROM TELLTALE!

I have spend so much fantastic moments with Sam and Max during the last monthes, from the games over the Machinima shorts to the web comics... awesomes. And it just goes on and on and on and on...

And, oh my god, what brilliant music we were offered. Jared's work can definitely keep up with the work of the three former LucasArts music gods, Land, McConnell and Bajakian.

Congratulations Telltale! Keep them coming...

• I have to disagree... because the game would have been fantastic.

Stupid business decision made the development stop close to the end, but i had absolutely 0 worries, even less (minus 1 worries) seeing the near-final screenshots in magazines the month before the cancellation.

That said, the episode 4 is wonderful, and i think TTG has now the quality of these adventure games of the golden age era 93-97

• Definitely, I reckon LucasArts wouldn't have done even near as good a job as Telltale Games, especially after what they did with Escape From Monkey Island.

Out of interest (I never really followed Freelance Police at the time) would it have been point and click, or would it have had the direct control system of Grim Fandango and EFMI?
    If it had direct control, that would have been another good reason it was canned.

Still, it would be nice to see what was done.

• Point and click if I remember correctly?

• So, how about Telltale making an offer to Lucasarts - buy Freelance Police and finish it themselves?

I don't know how these things work, so I know it's all just a dream really, but as it's already fully worked out with regards to story, puzzles etc, they could make an offer to buy it, re-create it on the Telltale engine and release it as their first full game.

That would be great.

The only problem I can see is if Lucasarts behave like arse-holes about it all.

• I don't know if it even works that way. Lucasarts no longer holds the rights to Sam and Max. I expect this means that legally, they don't even have the right to sell their work involving these characters to a 3rd party, even if this 3rd party is the rightful owner. Steve Purcell would doubtless be required if such a transaction were to be made.

But this is then further complicated by the fact that the game was developed in an engine proprietary to LucasArts. Even if Telltale Games had the rights to the game itself, they don't have the rights to the engine used to make it (I don't know if it was made with SCUMM or not), and I wouldn't expect Lucasarts to part with that.

And trying to remake it in the telltale engine would probably be like starting over from scratch.

• So what do Jake, Emily or other Telltale people think / have to say about it then?

Add Comment