User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island v. Original 4 [Inevitable Spoilers]

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 696 users

Now that all of Tales has been released, what's your (initial) reaction to the series as a whole? If you had to compare it with the other four.

Personally, I can't make up my mind if I like LCR better or TMI better. I think I like those two better than CMI. After that is SMI, and a big drop off to EMI. (But I still really, really like EMI and think it is severely underrated.)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I'm going to reply to this but I'm not even going to try to rate one against the other.

SMI/LCR - It's ridiculous to compare these games to Tales now for me, and I'll say it now, Tales is NOTHING like them. I started out thinking it was a lot like LeChuck's Revenge but ended up thinking they are nothing alike at all. Tales is its own game and comes close to being its own MI universe almost, and SMI/LCR are very much their own game. They're still my favorites but how can that change.

Tales - Tales is a wonderful game. It isn't flawless but its got EVERY SINGLE element MI has always had, maybe minus a sense of scale, and has thrown them together into one big pot. I think each chapter is more like one MI game than another is. ROTPG is pretty much its own beast I'd say, with Trial being more like SMI, Lair more like Curse, Seige more like LCR and Launch more like EMI. But all in all its just a massive beast of its own filled with magic, demons, mysticism, mythical creatures, treasure, romance, tragedy, ghosts- and on and on and on. It's a great game and I'd love to see more.

Curse - This game is also to me, it's own game. I think of it as an alternate ending to LCR, with the possibility of a completely different ending we never saw and probably never will. The art style is beautiful and the game is just a ton of fun. It oozes charm in every pore and is just one reason why I love Bill Tiller's artwork.

EMI - This game, from what I HAVE played, is its own game like the other four. It's an underdog with fantastic humor but sloppy controls, beautiful backgrounds but dated characters. However I think some of the characters in this had more charm than Nipperkin for instance, but Galeb or Anemone had more charm than any EMI design. EMI is a diffeent type of humor and storytelling than the other MI games though, so it's seperate. Not many people like it but it does have its fans.

And that's my opinion.

• My order:
    1. Escape from Monkey Island
    2. Secret of Monkey Island Special
    3. Tales of Monkey Island
    4. Curse of Monkey Island
    With Curse being the worst. But I LOVE IT, don't get me wrong.
    I never played LeChuck's Revenge, HOPE LUCASARTS WILL MAKE A SPECIAL EDITION FOR ME. Please?

• I find it difficult to rank the games, because each one is a unique experience. Even SMI and MI2, which have the same graphics/gameplay/etc, have entirely different feels to me, and whichever my is favorite at the moment depends entirely on the mood I'm in.

Granted, like popular opinion, EMI is VERY RARELY what I'm in the mood for, but even it grew on me during my recent playthrough. The controls/camera angles are still infuriating, though.

• 1. Lechuck's Revenge
    2. The Curse of Monkey Island
    3. The Secret of Monkey Island
    4. Lair of the Leviathan
    5. The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    6. The Siege of Spinner Cay
    7. Escape from Monkey Island
    8. Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    10. Rise of the Pirate God

• My thoughts on TMI's greatest weakest in comparison to its predecessors is the music. It just doesn't grab you and build atmosphere in the same way as the others do - the worst parts was the music (and lack thereof) for the beginning and end of chapter 4. Even SMI, with its minimal tracks, still used them very effectively. All the other four games managed to stick at least one memorable melody in my head, but TMI just didn't.

• @S@bre said: My thoughts on TMI's greatest weakest in comparison to its predecessors is the music. It just doesn't grab you and build atmosphere in the same way as the others do - the worst parts was the music (and lack thereof) for the beginning and end of chapter 4. Even SMI, with its minimal tracks, still used them very effectively. All the other four games managed to stick at least one memorable melody in my head, but TMI just didn't.

I sort of agree with this. I liked the music but for me the only really memorable pieces were Winslow's theme, De Singe's theme (my favorite), and the Crossroads theme.

• 1. LeChuck's Revenge
    2. Curse
    3. Secret
    4. Tales
    5. Escape

• The thing that let Tales down was the episodic nature which limits the locations and thus leaves less places and items to use on things meaning that the puzzles aren't overly challenging. I think I might have been stumped once throughout the whole of the 5 chapters. Generally the puzzles were pretty easy.

Think about Monkey Island 2 when you're tryin g to find the 4 parts of the map. You have 3 whole islands to explore with plenty of places within each island to explore too. That chapter is HUGE. Tales episodic nature couldn't allow for something like that.

• @S@bre said: My thoughts on TMI's greatest weakest in comparison to its predecessors is the music. It just doesn't grab you and build atmosphere in the same way as the others do - the worst parts was the music (and lack thereof) for the beginning and end of chapter 4. Even SMI, with its minimal tracks, still used them very effectively. All the other four games managed to stick at least one memorable melody in my head, but TMI just didn't.

I thought the music was great in Rise of the Pirate God, oddly. Some of the ethereal quality of the ambient music that just barely seems like it is there. It reminded me a lot of Michael Land's work on The Dig, oddly. Sure it's not something that you'll be humming all the time, but it fits the mood and atmosphere well.

The rest of the series' music was rather forgettable though, I actually didn't remember it was Michael Land doing it til Rise of the Pirate God. Aside from the opening theme of course.

• I also agree about the music not being overly memorable. Nothing really jumped out at me like in the other 4 games. Only things like reused themes e.g. LeChuck's theme.

Add Comment