User Avatar Image

LeChuck's Ship Scene - "Unbalanced Drama"?

posted by Mermaid on - last edited - Viewed by 587 users

Okay, since I saw that concept art of LeChuck's ship I couldn't wait to get to that part of the game and was AMAZED when I saw how great it turned out - the colors, the lighting - awesome. It set up an atmosphere that I last saw in LeChuck's Revenge, fearsome, powerful, dramatic.

So I was all in the mood and expecting some dark, dramatic evil scene there which actually did follow, but one thing I really found irritating was the dialogue between Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine which, in my opinion, just didn't fit in there at many moments.

That whole Elaine turning into a demon scene is a shocker, even more so when she grabs that root beer bottle and sprays it at Guybrush (Dominic, again, doing a great job voice acting all that emotion into him).
So up to this point, there's nothing really to complain about, except maybe that I still found Earl's voice to be missing that punch he used to have for LeChuck's voice (different subject).

The scene in which Guybrush reappears as a Zombie though is where acting / dialogue get "unbalanced" concerning the drama of the moment:

LeChuck starts acting extremely cruel, weakening Guybrush with every punch, leaving him hardly enough strength to keep himself on his feet, let alone walk. While I kinda liked the brave comebacks Guybrush has at LeChuck, after a while I found them, say, unrealistic. We've never seen Guybrush in such a fragile, pitiful and suffering state, it just didn't match with his responses to LeChuck.

The bigger problem I had was the acting / dialogue between LeChuck and Elaine, though. To start off with, it seems that by now, LeChuck's lost all of his certain "evil, but yet gentleman" qualities. Which is: he's come down to hitting and killing women.

After Elaine leaves her demonic state and comes back to normal, she's literally battered to the ground by LeChuck (okay: after she's tried to kill him, but still). That doesn't quite go along with his deep love for her that drove him to win her heart in all those years, does it? Worse: some seconds later, he tells Guybrush that "Elaine's to be mine...to do the sewing and keep the house clean in case we have guests." Uh...no. Totally unfitting here.

Also the "Plunderbunny" / "Honey Pumpkin" dialogue between Guybrush and Elaine, which I actually find amusing most of the time, didn't really work here I think. There were a couple of more examples which I don't remember right now, though.

Don't get me wrong: There's a reason Monkey Island has been done and kept in a cartoonish style and the last thing I'd want to miss about this series is the humour that prevents the story from becoming all TOO dark. (Even I missed Murray in the finale!) But I kinda didn't like the combination of both, humour and evil, in that finale scene.
After all, there was no humour in Morgan's death scene, for instance, either, which is actually why it was appreciated so much.

Anyone feeling similar about this?

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really enjoyed this episode, but not as much as episode 4. The art and style was fantastic and it was pretty funny, (Grog XD, hilarious) but the puzzles were really simple, it was really easy to find those ingredients and there was normally only one step to each puzzle.

I liked the end ship scene (well, apart from the glitches but they were really minor) but what I thought was missing was some dramatic music. It was really slow paced music, and it didn't fit LeChucks awesome form (Badass Lechuck? MegaAwesome Lechuck? Skeleton Armor Lechuck? I dunno).

I thought the conversations were fine, but the music wasn't good enough. Still, it was a fantastic game overall. Good end to a good series, and it sets it up nicely for a sequel.

• I agree with you Falanca. I felt disappointed at the ending of TOMI, although I really enjoyed it, it still felt a bit flat. But I felt fantastic right after seeing the bit after the credits, totally made up for it.

• @Kroms said: I just don't understand how she knew about the ring. That's pretty much as far as her "plan" goes. She does sort of make it up as she goes along, doesn't she?

You know what, making Elaine purely evil at some point would've been so much more satisfying because it would literally explain everything.

Because right now Guybrush is sailing with a wife completely willing to turn evil, so evil that she would literally use the most painful and effective methods to kill you in any particular form. And to top it off, she's so direct she prolly do it with no monologue so you have no chance in heck to get a word in.

But it's okay, it was her masterplan. She was secretly rooting for you all along in the 10% of the time she was actually lucid.

• @Byakko said: You know what, making Elaine purely evil at some point would've been so much more satisfying because it would literally explain everything.

Because right now Guybrush is sailing with a wife completely willing to turn evil, so evil that she would literally use the most painful and effective methods to kill you in any particular form. And to top it off, she's so direct she prolly do it with no monologue so you have no chance in heck to get a word in.

But it's okay, it was her masterplan. She was secretly rooting for you all along in the 10% of the time she was actually lucid.

I'm sure I've missed something. There were a lot of dialogue options that I missed out on that explained backstory. We can probably piece it together.

• I get your point here, but for some reason, I didn't feel that way about the humor/drama mixture. You know, Monkey Island has kinda always been like that. Even in "LeChuck's Revenge", when Zombie LeChuck was threatening as never before, there were comical scenes included in all the drama, like Guybrush snatching away LeChuck's underpants. Know what I mean?

@Kroms said: I just don't understand how she knew about the ring. That's pretty much as far as her "plan" goes. She does sort of make it up as she goes along, doesn't she?

Just like her husband, huh? :D Who also always thinks he's got everything under control and very well planned...

• I still don't understand how a simple wedding ring can be more powerful than the only permanent ressurrection voodoo spell.

• @Kroms said: I just don't understand how she knew about the ring. That's pretty much as far as her "plan" goes.

That's been bugging me, too. If she knew about the ring as the solution to their final problem, she also knew Guybrush had to die (but her final scene in ep4 and her first in ep5 contradict this), AND know the exact workings of the super-secret afterlife-defying voodoo spell (extremely unlikely).

• [quote=Beekay84]I get your point here, but for some reason, I didn't feel that way about the humor/drama mixture. You know, Monkey Island has kinda always been like that. Even in "LeChuck's Revenge", when Zombie LeChuck was threatening as never before, there were comical scenes included in all the drama, like Guybrush snatching away LeChuck's underpants. Know what I mean?[/quote]

Well make no mistake. This is way darker and more sinister than LeChuck's Revenge ever was. But it was great. The humor was there but more subtle, like the pot helmet, or the skeleton army wearing inner tubes.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Falanca said: I still don't understand how a simple wedding ring can be more powerful than the only permanent ressurrection voodoo spell.

It was more about the symbolism than the ring itself. "True love" proved to be more powerful than any voodoo, more powerful even than the forces that govern life and death.

In a way, love / marriage could be said to contain all the elements of the voodoo resurrection spell anyway - your partner is an "anchor" to keep you grounded, someone to guide the way, a source of courage in facing your fears, and is willing to make sacrifices in your name.

Add Comment