User Avatar Image

LeChuck's Ship Scene - "Unbalanced Drama"?

posted by Mermaid on - last edited - Viewed by 482 users

Okay, since I saw that concept art of LeChuck's ship I couldn't wait to get to that part of the game and was AMAZED when I saw how great it turned out - the colors, the lighting - awesome. It set up an atmosphere that I last saw in LeChuck's Revenge, fearsome, powerful, dramatic.

So I was all in the mood and expecting some dark, dramatic evil scene there which actually did follow, but one thing I really found irritating was the dialogue between Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine which, in my opinion, just didn't fit in there at many moments.

That whole Elaine turning into a demon scene is a shocker, even more so when she grabs that root beer bottle and sprays it at Guybrush (Dominic, again, doing a great job voice acting all that emotion into him).
So up to this point, there's nothing really to complain about, except maybe that I still found Earl's voice to be missing that punch he used to have for LeChuck's voice (different subject).

The scene in which Guybrush reappears as a Zombie though is where acting / dialogue get "unbalanced" concerning the drama of the moment:

LeChuck starts acting extremely cruel, weakening Guybrush with every punch, leaving him hardly enough strength to keep himself on his feet, let alone walk. While I kinda liked the brave comebacks Guybrush has at LeChuck, after a while I found them, say, unrealistic. We've never seen Guybrush in such a fragile, pitiful and suffering state, it just didn't match with his responses to LeChuck.

The bigger problem I had was the acting / dialogue between LeChuck and Elaine, though. To start off with, it seems that by now, LeChuck's lost all of his certain "evil, but yet gentleman" qualities. Which is: he's come down to hitting and killing women.

After Elaine leaves her demonic state and comes back to normal, she's literally battered to the ground by LeChuck (okay: after she's tried to kill him, but still). That doesn't quite go along with his deep love for her that drove him to win her heart in all those years, does it? Worse: some seconds later, he tells Guybrush that "Elaine's to be mine...to do the sewing and keep the house clean in case we have guests." Uh...no. Totally unfitting here.

Also the "Plunderbunny" / "Honey Pumpkin" dialogue between Guybrush and Elaine, which I actually find amusing most of the time, didn't really work here I think. There were a couple of more examples which I don't remember right now, though.

Don't get me wrong: There's a reason Monkey Island has been done and kept in a cartoonish style and the last thing I'd want to miss about this series is the humour that prevents the story from becoming all TOO dark. (Even I missed Murray in the finale!) But I kinda didn't like the combination of both, humour and evil, in that finale scene.
After all, there was no humour in Morgan's death scene, for instance, either, which is actually why it was appreciated so much.

Anyone feeling similar about this?

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: Well make no mistake. This is way darker and more sinister than LeChuck's Revenge ever was.

And I'm sure that's mainly because LCR was a game from almost 20 years ago, without stunning 3D graphic and theatrical audio and animations. If LCR were like that, it'll be a lot darker and scarier, too. ;)

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@BeeKay84 said: And I'm sure that's mainly because LCR was a game from almost 20 years ago, without stunning 3D graphic and theatrical audio and animations.

*hoping very hard for LCR:SE* :)

I agree with Secret Fawful, they're about matched in tone.

• @puzzlebox said: It was more about the symbolism than the ring itself. "True love" proved to be more powerful than any voodoo, more powerful even than the forces that govern life and death.

In a way, love / marriage could be said to contain all the elements of the voodoo resurrection spell anyway - your partner is an "anchor" to keep you grounded, someone to guide the way, a source of courage in facing your fears, and is willing to make sacrifices in your name.

Oh well.

Cliché.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

That's just my take on it - you can have your own interpretation! :)

• @Falanca said: Oh well.

Cliché.

Oh well.

You can probably get your money back if you want. :p

Also, I too hope for a Special Edition of LeChuck's Revenge. I think that may be my favorite game of all time.

• No, it's what they tried to explain to us, and not your take, surely. I was facepalming at that point so I couldn't read all the subtitles.

@Secret Fawful said: Oh well.

You can probably get your money back if you want. :p

Ga-whooaaaaat? Who wants it?

It had that awesome Pin-up picture. Money well spent.

• @BeeKay84 said: AIf LCR were like that, it'll be a lot darker and scarier, too. ;)

And I would never be able to play it. The final part to MI2 freaked me out. Every time LeChuck found Guybrush again, I jumped out of my skin. This sequence in Chapter 5 was very similar but I was incredibly aware of how scared I wasn't.

Maybe it is just because I am fifteen or so years older...

My issue with the sequence was how much of a sense of deja vu I got. Not only in comparison to the MI2 finale but also the Chapter 2 scene with Morgan.

So yeah- I didn't like it but not for the reasons already stated in this thread.

• @bobtheskutter said: And I would never be able to play it. The final part to MI2 freaked me out. Every time LeChuck found Guybrush again, I jumped out of my skin. This sequence in Chapter 5 was very similar but I was incredibly aware of how scared I wasn't.

Maybe it is just because I am fifteen or so years older...

i think it is that... and in LCR:MI2 LeChuck appears more often and still at random times... you never know wen to expect him... in ToMI he just appears when guybrush stands near a "Rip"... that was my impression... don't know if it is true ^^

Add Comment