User Avatar Image

chap 5 retcon

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 309 users

galeb said lechuck used a voodoo spell to return as a ghost but wasnt it big whoop that did it?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I gotta admit I liked the theme park XD

• Plus wasn't Big Whoop an amusement part to begin with? Coulda sworn that was on the sign in the LCR ending. The retcon was that Big Whoop was the gates of Hell.

• @Shale said: Plus wasn't Big Whoop an amusement part to begin with? Coulda sworn that was on the sign in the LCR ending. The retcon was that Big Whoop was the gates of Hell.

Yeah. I kind of meant, but didn't really communicate, that I meant Big Whoop=Carnival of the Damned was a pretty dumb retcon. In that the whole scene just feels a lot more hokey, cartoonish, and ridiculous than the endings to the first two games, as silly as they still somewhat are.

Basically, I see CMI's ending as a cartoon played as a cartoon. Secret and Revenge feel more like a "serious adventure" with ridiculous elements, but played fairly straight. It's kind of a fine line, but CMI vaults over the line and puts on a clown wig and giant shoes. And then retcons the ending in a long speech for no good reason.

• @Rather Dashing said: Basically, I see CMI's ending as a cartoon played as a cartoon. Secret and Revenge feel more like a "serious adventure" with ridiculous elements, but played fairly straight. It's kind of a fine line, but CMI vaults over the line and puts on a clown wig and giant shoes. And then retcons the ending in a long speech for no good reason.

Why did I hear this post in my head as Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw?

• @Secret Fawful said: Why did I hear this post in my head as Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw?

Probably because it's fairly critical and uses metaphors.

• @Rather Dashing said: Probably because it uses metaphors.

I fixed it for you :D

• I thinked about this too. We know Lechuck was alive when finding Big Whoop *then something happened* and he is a Ghost Pirate.

I dont think finding BigWhoop should be the same to killing yourself. And according to this chapter he was dead, but we dont know how was he killed or what relation does that have with Big Whoop, if any.

• Okay, Curse did not retcon Big Whoop into being an amusement park. What it did was play off the ending of MI2 and had LeChuck name the Carnival of the Damned after the Big Whoop treasure, which was the gates of hell. If you remember, the carnival at the end of MI2 was also named Big Whoop.

Really, if anything this undoes a retcon. Secret says that LeChuck died trying to find the Secret of Monkey Island in order to impress Elaine. Curse alters this to say that he was looking for Big Whoop, overtook Marley, and passed through it, and that's how he died. Well, if his death wasn't caused by Big Whoop and he ended up in the Crossroads, then his shred of life may have been related to his failure to win Elaine.

Or consider this. Perhaps LeChuck was trying to track down the Secret for Elaine, failed, and died. He went through something similar to Guybrush and managed to rip open the Crossroads and return to the land of the living and retake his body. Being a fragile zombie wasn't working out for him so well and he didn't have love to restore his body, so Big Whoop was the next best thing. He cleaned up the best he could (lots of deodorant), won over Minnie Goodsoup, sold the diamond to buy a boat, and overtook Marley's crew to reach Big Whoop and become a voodoo enhanced ghost, which may explain why LeChuck and Morgan can interact with the physical world but Guybrush couldn't. Perhaps passing through Big Whoop acts as a portal to hell for the spirit but kills the body, so LeChuck had his body taken to his fortress by his still-living henchman, Largo LaGrande, in case he should ever need it.

A bit far fetched, but I was more trying to illustrate that it's possible that the Crossroads and hell are two different places and LeChuck has visited both. Also, I apparently have a talent for drawing up crackpot theories out of nowhere.

• Here's my explanation.

All of this was clearly, concisely and entertainingly explained in Monkey Island 5.

That should be the official explanation for all Monkey Island continuity problems ever.

• The flaw in your logic is that Tales is Monkey Island 5.

Add Comment