User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island v. Original 4 [Inevitable Spoilers]

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 682 users

Now that all of Tales has been released, what's your (initial) reaction to the series as a whole? If you had to compare it with the other four.

Personally, I can't make up my mind if I like LCR better or TMI better. I think I like those two better than CMI. After that is SMI, and a big drop off to EMI. (But I still really, really like EMI and think it is severely underrated.)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1. LCR
    2. SMI
    3. CMI (very close to SMI, but SMI wins because of nostalgia)
    4. TMI
    5. EMI

I liked Tales, but at times it felt like they tried to hard to be like the older games, and I think the music just didn't capture the atmosphere as well as in the three first games. LeChuck's Revenge is in a league of its own, but the music and sound effects really made the first three games special.

• LeChuck's Revenge's ending made perfect sense, in both the 'imagination/Calvin and Hobbes' and 'spell/curse' readings.

• @bai_ganyo said: I wouldn't be sure 3 and 4 are to be considered "original".
    To anyone, who complains about things not being explained/not making sence - have you played Lechuck's revenge recently? Do you remember the ending by chance? Also where MI 3 started and how Big Whoop is explained in the end?
    I don't find it too irritating, that there is no "ha-ha this is actually Monkey Island you are standing on"-part in ToMI, like in the end of MI2 and 3.

Do you mean 3 and 4?

• Obviously SoMI had its own charm. It was a fairly small feeling game for me, but given it was the 'pilot' so to speak, it was pretty good.

SoMI:LCR was epic. Great ending, great zombieness. Largo was a great character, the islands were some of the best in the series, etc. etc.

CoMI was a beautiful interactive comic. The art was fantastic and the story was solid until the amusement-park aberration.

EfMI had a few nice aspects to it, but gormless-Guybrush and the unfinished feel to the writing, implementation, etc. left it feeling dead for me.

ToMI has taken the EfMI 3D graphics but made them better. Guybrush is likeable, he looks good, the writings been pretty solid. I felt like the first episode was limited. There was a brilliant anticipation for it, and then we were stuck on Flotsam with very limited avenues of exploration. This is a drawback of the episodic nature of TTG's portfolio for me, but is no longer a problem given we can go straight into the next chapter. The characters were forgettable. Nipperkin was alright for me, and van Winslow was good, but there was the glass-guy whose name I still can't remember.
    Chapter Two felt a bit odd. The whole mermaid city thing didn't feel like it fitted into MI, but the ep was written reasonably for all that.
    Chapter Three had a few gorgeous locations and the amount of good quality characters really took away from the empty feel I got in eps 1 & 2. De Cava, Santino/Murray, Moose, Noogie and Bugeye along with Le Flay and brief cameos for Frenchy McFrench and the Voodoo lady all pulled off the random-boat-in-the-middle-of-nowhere/random-belly scenarios well.
    Chapter Four's "darkness" at times saw TTG overreach itself for me. Still, overall it was a solid enough ep, highly amusing and with some sort of gravitas to the characters in it.
    Chapter Five was great. Simply put.

When all these are added together I think ToMI was inconsistent: hit & miss. For all that, i'd say it was on the right track and the bravery and versatility of ToMI should be commended; they didn't just use the old stale formulae.

So:
    1. SoMI:LCR (no.2)
    2. CoMI (no.3)
    3. ToMI (no."6")
    4. SoMI (no.1)
    5. EfMI (no.4)

For me, it's a close-run thing between CoMI and ToMI, but the focused, uniform feel to the game beats ToMI.

• I'm surprised to see so much love for Curse. I replayed it recently and found it to be loaded with constant "click until something works." It is at the bottom of my list. Despite a few bugs and the interface issues I loved Escape for the interaction between Elaine and Guybrush:

It is hard to sort these because all the games seem to come from a different time (except SMI and LRC which are, basically, the same technology wise).

EMI
    LCR
    TOMI
    SMI
    CMI

• The problem with Tales for me is the lack of immersion. If you look at the four other games environments that you explore there are so many locations and places that are illustrated but impossible to get to. It gives the feeling of your story taking place in a larger world. Tales only contains the characters and locations that are important to the story. There is nowhere on Flotsam you can't go and each of the characters are part of the story. There are no pirates wandering around like on Melee, no buildings that you can't get to like in Puerto Pollo or Phatt or Booty Islands. It feels like each environment Guybrush visits has been tailor made for his adventure. This was the major problem I had with the game and the reason why it's below Revenge, Secret and Curse on my list.

• 1 - MI2 (there's no beating this one... It's a hopeless battle)
    2 - ToMI (Yeah! I consider Tales to be the 2nd best MI game ever made! It's so awesome! Can't wait for a 2nd season or whatever...)
    3 - CMI (Kickass art direction! Gave the series a whole new look.)
    4 - SMI (I know it's the one that started it all, but looking back it feels kinda bland compared to the other ones)
    5 - EMI (What a load.... I'm not even gonna comment on this one)

• @gordy said: The problem with Tales for me is the lack of immersion. If you look at the four other games environments that you explore there are so many locations and places that are illustrated but impossible to get to. It gives the feeling of your story taking place in a larger world. Tales only contains the characters and locations that are important to the story. There is nowhere on Flotsam you can't go and each of the characters are part of the story. There are no pirates wandering around like on Melee, no buildings that you can't get to like in Puerto Pollo or Phatt or Booty Islands. It feels like each environment Guybrush visits has been tailor made for his adventure. This was the major problem I had with the game and the reason why it's below Revenge, Secret and Curse on my list.

I agree and wish we could have done more like that. It's hard to get right. I tried to sneak at least a tiny bit of that into chapter 5, but yeah. Hopefully it's something we'll get better at as we make more games. Jordan Mechner has said that making the goal should be to make the world feel like you've only seen half of it, even if you've actually seen 95% of it. That's a good target, but hard to achieve!

• @gordy said: The problem with Tales for me is the lack of immersion. If you look at the four other games environments that you explore there are so many locations and places that are illustrated but impossible to get to. It gives the feeling of your story taking place in a larger world. Tales only contains the characters and locations that are important to the story.

I agree with you. It's a problem if TTG are looking to make the best MI yet, but I think the writing has been good enough and imaginative enough to counterbalance this and make a good, solid installment overall.

@gordy said: I agree and wish we could have done more like that. It's hard to get right. I tried to sneak at least a tiny bit of that into chapter 5, but yeah. Hopefully it's something we'll get better at as we make more games. Jordan Mechner has said that making the goal should be to make the world feel like you've only seen half of it, even if you've actually seen 95% of it. That's a good target, but hard to achieve!

And clearly the TTT are aware of the problem, which I think has really helped as we've gone through the eps :)

• I agree, the writing, feel and characterisation of Tales is great. It just needs those little extra touches to be a really great Monkey Island game.
    Thanks for the feedback Jake. It took Jordan Mechner a few games to really nail that atmosphere and he's a screenwriter! I think it will definitely come with time as Telltale grows.

Add Comment