User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island v. Original 4 [Inevitable Spoilers]

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 415 users

Now that all of Tales has been released, what's your (initial) reaction to the series as a whole? If you had to compare it with the other four.

Personally, I can't make up my mind if I like LCR better or TMI better. I think I like those two better than CMI. After that is SMI, and a big drop off to EMI. (But I still really, really like EMI and think it is severely underrated.)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • TMI Episode 4
    TMI Episode 5
    CMI
    MI1
    TMI Episode 3
    TMI Episode 2
    TMI Episode 1
    MI2
    EMI

This is the order I place them in.

Counting TMI as one game, it'd be CMI, TMI, MI1, MI2, EMI. But TMI is extremely close to taking 1st place, and it may once I replay it more in the future.

• @Pale Man said: TMI Episode 4
    TMI Episode 5
    CMI
    MI1
    TMI Episode 3
    TMI Episode 2
    TMI Episode 1
    MI2
    EMI

This is the order I place them in.

Counting TMI as one game, it'd be CMI, TMI, MI1, MI2, EMI. But TMI is extremely close to taking 1st place, and it may once I replay it more in the future.

Very surprised to see MI2 so low on ANYones list!

• 1.LCR ( purly for the feel of the game and good times playing
    2.TMI ( i really loved the epicness of the journey)
    3.CMI ( almost ties with TMI)
    4.EMI
    5.SMI

i love them all but i found EMI funnir then SMI

• [quote]I never played LeChuck's Revenge, HOPE LUCASARTS WILL MAKE A SPECIAL EDITION FOR ME. Please?[/quote]
    I suggest that you download Dosbox and the original game, before waiting around for LucasArts.
    Don't let the older graphics keep you from playing it. It is GREAT.

That said:
    LCR, SMI, CMI, TMI, EMI
    (I have forgotten whether I had beaten EMI or not)
    Tales was great - Curse deserves a bit more credit; Blood and Skull Island were awesome!! Guybrush: "If you squint and turn your head, it looks like a bunny." ROFL I can't help but follow those "instructions" of the Flying Welshman. I just have to play this game again!

• Very similar to a lot of other peoples, except in some respects there is a very fine line between all my top 4:

MI2
    CMI
    TMI
    SMI (I actually have a hard time putting this 4th, i still think its an awesome game)

Big gap between those 4 and EMI. Although there's still a lot I like about the places and characters, for me it's the controls. Why the hell did they get rid of the point and click?! The cursor was just awful and I wasn't a fan of the 3D at first compared to the cartoony CMI which i thought worked well. (although again at the time that took a while to get used to after pixel Guybrush!)
    I seem to remember getting used to the controls in EMI at the time, but in between chapters of Tales coming out I've replayed all the other 3 but just could not get
    into controlling a wayward Guybrush. It just seemed such a chore and took forever to get him to Walk To wherever. I talked to Carla and Otis and then gave up :(

• @TimesNineXiX said: I agree with you- people would not stop complaining. However, there seems to have been this shift in gaming toward easiness. Why should games be easy? A friend of mine worked at a video game store and people would return games not because they were bad, but because they were hard.

Games are supposed to be a challenge. In fact, the whole idea of the genre itself is challenge. But, with MI, you have that guarantee of safety from death at least comforting you a little!

Therefore, I ask for more illogical puzzles. I want monkey wrenches, I want green spit, I want the dewey decimal system!

The way i think of it is this. Does a film stop playing and loop on the same bit if you don't understand the plot? No. You can still watch the rest of it. Games are different. If you can't do one small part, the rest of the game is lost for you. That's why i like difficulty levels. Start of easy, and work through the rest on replays.

• @Jake said: I agree and wish we could have done more like that. It's hard to get right. I tried to sneak at least a tiny bit of that into chapter 5, but yeah. Hopefully it's something we'll get better at as we make more games. Jordan Mechner has said that making the goal should be to make the world feel like you've only seen half of it, even if you've actually seen 95% of it. That's a good target, but hard to achieve!

This attitude is exactly why I love Telltale Games so much. Learn from this, developers.

• @Jake said: I tried to sneak at least a tiny bit of that into chapter 5, but yeah.

Umm, like when Morgan said "I already beat two posers and a decent fighter" in the time interval we solved other puzzles in different places after the Insult/Compliment Swordfight puzzles, even though there is seemingly no other dead person walking around like Guybrush?

Add Comment