User Avatar Image

Noooo! The saddest loss in the entire series...

posted by Sir Pantalones on - last edited - Viewed by 299 users

The hook!

Damn it, why did he have to get his hand back?
The hook worked so well for the guy. I had just gotten used to seeing him with it all the time, and now that he got the hand back, it's like watching someone who usually wears glasses taking them off! Or someone shaving his beard!

It was a very fitting gadget for him, and something I was looking forward to seeing as part of Guybrush's future appearances. : P

Someone here HAS to agree with me.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sir Pantalones said: What if it wasn't an item? Like the verb coin in CMI, for instance, except one of the options is a hook.

That'd be if Lucasarts made the next game, though.

If Lucasarts made it, then it would be a third-person action game, in which you could disarm opponents using your hook. I seriously doubt that they'll make another adventure game, new administration aside.

• There is really no point of locking all the chests if the player already knows how to open them, and I found this fact really irritating until we see the lock in the last showdown with LeChuck. I guess they tried to make us get used to open all locks with an ease so that if we see a lock that CAN'T be opened with the hook, we can feel desperate and empty.

• YOU THERE! HAND ME THE HOOK, AND NOONE GETS HURT!

*bows*

• @One-Eyed Kijin said: If Lucasarts made it, then it would be a third-person action game, in which you could disarm opponents using your hook. I seriously doubt that they'll make another adventure game, new administration aside.

ToMI and SoMI:SE sold well, and made money. LucasArts like money.

• @Sir Pantalones said: ToMI and SoMI:SE sold well, and made money. LucasArts like money.

ToMI may have sold well for an independent company, but I seriously doubt it sold hundreds of thousands of copies, let alone millions. A company like Lucasarts invests a lot more money into their games, a lot more than Telltale Games does, primarily due to the fact that Lucasarts has more money.

SoMI:SE probably did sell well, and it will encourage them to remake older games, but that doesn't mean they'll start to make new adventure games. The last adventure game Lucasarts released was Escape 9 years ago. If adventure games were that profitable then they wouldn't have stopped. Unfortunately for both of us, adventure games is a niche market, and so adventure games can only survive through smaller, independent companies such as Telltale.

I could be wrong about all of this, though. I've been wrong before. Nothing would please me more than to see a new Lucasarts adventure game.

• I never thought of the hook as a lazy puzzle solver, because in the old games there never really were many locked chests to open, a lot of them would be already unlocked, really. So to me the hook was more of an alternative "open" action.

• @thehardmenpath said: If it were SCUMM, we could command a TALK TO THE HOOK.

The next season should be released in two versions. One done with the Telltale Tool and the other redone with the SCUMM engine.

• i think guybush himself didn’t like it’s disapperance (remember his look when he realizes it)

i wonder why his hook is replaced by flesh but his ear-piercings are not…

• i always perfered guybrush without the hook, Guybrush isnt Guybrush with a hook, i just about got used to Guybrush wearing earrings(cause he doesnt have earrings in Monkey Island 1 or 2) but however the hook did add a nice twist to the story but like i said i perfer him with both his hands

• I love the visual look of the hook, I like how pirate-y it makes Guybrush.

But the Use Hook On Lock that you do far too many times in this game is...annoying.

Add Comment