User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island v. Original 4 [Inevitable Spoilers]

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 419 users

Now that all of Tales has been released, what's your (initial) reaction to the series as a whole? If you had to compare it with the other four.

Personally, I can't make up my mind if I like LCR better or TMI better. I think I like those two better than CMI. After that is SMI, and a big drop off to EMI. (But I still really, really like EMI and think it is severely underrated.)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @monkey_05_06 said:
    Wait so you mean you went inside the Keelhauler Gazette? And Well, Blow Me Down Glassworks? Would you mind enlightening us as to how you got inside these locations? :rolleyes:

It's not about whether or not you can get inside, it's about adding that extra colour to the environment by having a few buildings, streets and locations that are present while not being part of the game. It adds an immersive quality and pulls you into the MI world. The Keelhauler and Glassworks were there because they played a part in Guybrush's adventure. There was nothing there that wasn't.

• i'm putting TMI dead last. or at the very most somewhere in EMI's ballpark.

it did nothing to bring the series "home" in my opinion. if anything it was even more "out there" than EMI, it was definitely less immersive than any of them. all the worlds were totally empty, just basically a series of rooms with forced items and uninspired puzzles everywhere. the resolution was great. the camera movement was great. there was emotion and storytelling involved, all good things. the game and the "world" and the effort to make it challenging and intelligent and inspired just wasn't there at all.

MI2
    MI1
    CMI
    EMI
    TMI

• 1. Tie: CMI and MI2. If not for the drop in quality of CMI's last act, it would be on top. MI2 is still the most consistently great.

3. TOMI. Episode 3 matched the best of Monkey Island and episode 4 came close. But the other episodes weren't as good (apart from DeSinge's Lab and the Human Lechuck puzzles).

4. MI1. A good start to the series, but a little uneven.

5. EFMI. Still a good game, just not great. Only thing better here than in TOMI is the music.

• @PariahKing said: If I wanted to give you a challenge, I could hand you an a N64 and a copy of Goldeneye. "Here, kill all the bad people with your fists instead of guns." Just because something is challenging doesn't make it fun or good.

What? Karate chopping everybody's the best fun in this game!

• @Falanca said: Umm, like when Morgan said "I already beat two posers and a decent fighter" in the time interval we solved other puzzles in different places after the Insult/Compliment Swordfight puzzles, even though there is seemingly no other dead person walking around like Guybrush?

No the dialog is Mark, with Sean and Mike. I love that stuff, but have next to nothing to do with it.

• @RockNRoll said: just basically a series of rooms with forced items and uninspired puzzles everywhere.

If you look at it side by side with the old games, the areas are just as detailed, and I actually think the puzzles were impressively varied and clever. They were, however, very, very easy. Which unfortunately is a trend in the industry right now, and not just for adventure games. I blame the audience for this as much as Telltale for giving in to it.

• 1. Curse-Tales (I'm rather ambivalent about which one is better. I don't see myself playing Tales as often as I play Curse, but it made me laugh the most out of all of them...)
    2. Secret of Monkey Island
    3. LeChuck's Revenge
    4. Escape from Monkey Island

• 1. TOMI + COMI (I just can't decide between these two... I'll give it a year, play though them all again, the decide.)

2. LCR (Massive game, real epic. Would tie for first with the other two, but, unlike most I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.)

3. SOMI

4. EFMI (Still loved this one, but there just aren't as many moments or characters that stand out as incredible, unlike the others)

• @Jake said: No the dialog is Mark, with Sean and Mike. I love that stuff, but have next to nothing to do with it.

I thought you had everything to do with everything. I'm disappointed in the amount of credit you're willing to take, Jake.

• @Frogacuda said: If you look at it side by side with the old games, the areas are just as detailed, and I actually think the puzzles were impressively varied and clever.

i don't agree

re: areas. the first 3 games, especially 2 & 3 had far more lush detail. you'd never just have plain textures on things. there were tons of nuances in every scene, hundreds of things to look at closely. there were cracks and stains on walls, rotting wood, things really looked worn and aged and just rich. you could see large distances, you felt like you were in a world.

just look at this random scene for instance
    mikennyscannonshop_2.jpg

you can't tell me TMI had that kind of detail. that feels like you're in a real town that is BIG and has a life of its own. you can see great expansive views, horizons, distant buildings etc and every inch is different than the next. not just two or three tight screens with plain, bright, plastic textures.

to continue to the next point, the puzzles, it ties in with the areas. in the old ones, items seemed to be in their natural place for the most part. in TMI, it seemed like the creators almost thought of random items and puzzle ideas first, and then just dropped them into locations where made no larger sense. like "he needs to melt a pyrite parrot to finish this puzzle. ok let's just drop a BBQ in middle of the jungle." or "guybrush needs to earn the trust of the thief. ok let's just drop a treasure chest in the middle of the jungle with a magic belt buckle that will magically earn his trust." that's just lazy puzzle design.

more clever, natural puzzles would have something like a fire or BBQ in a natural setting, and a more involved clever way to earn trust, not just a magic trinket that makes no sense with no reason for just sitting there for you. that way it just doesn't stick out like a sore thumb that "THIS IS HERE FOR A PUZZLE YOU'LL DO SOON." idk, it's hard to explain.

Add Comment