User Avatar Image

The MI 3 that never was

posted by MostlyJollyRoger on - last edited - Viewed by 762 users

Ron Gilbert's original concept for a third game!

The question is, what would you think if Gilbert, Grossman and Shafer made that third game, picking right up from LCR and pretended Curse, Escape and Tales never happened? Ignoring how unlikely this is to happen, of course, would this be a travesty and disrespectful to the franchise?

If those three wanted to make that final missing game (PLEASE!!! I'M BEGGING HERE!! WANT MY BLOOD?!?! A LIMB??!!? MY FIRSTBORN?!?! TAKE THEM... WHATEVER IT TAKES!!), should they try to steer the franchise back to where they want it and go from there, or ignore everything from Curse onwards?

In short, are you an MI purist or liberal?

64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I still like the idea of making a movie (or 3?) that covers Gilbert's vision of MI3. Movies stray away from the games most of the time so I don't think it would hurt anybody and we would still have the CMI plotline that we know and love for the games.

• I still think it would be hilarious and awesome if they made a "Monkey Island 3" using an engine virtually identical to the Monkey Island 2 engine, complete with 2D pixel art graphics, and no voice acting. The comparatively low-budget affair would fit its relatively niche audience, and it would be a perfect presentation of the original ideas exactly as they would have been presented if the project had been greenlit immediately after MI2. It would also immediately distinguish itself from the other sequels in a way that neither "branch" is the "wrong" one, they'd just be two very distinct tangents in the series. Sort of like a Mega Man 9.

I'll keep saying it until they do it.

• @LuigiHann said: I still think it would be hilarious and awesome if they made a "Monkey Island 3" using an engine virtually identical to the Monkey Island 2 engine, complete with 2D pixel art graphics, and no voice acting. The comparatively low-budget affair would fit its relatively niche audience, and it would be a perfect presentation of the original ideas exactly as they would have been presented if the project had been greenlit immediately after MI2. It would also immediately distinguish itself from the other sequels in a way that neither "branch" is the "wrong" one, they'd just be two very distinct tangents in the series. Sort of like a Mega Man 9.

Endorse :)
    Megaman 9 was really awesome and I'm looking forward to MM10 (which obviously comes because 9 was such a commercial success).
    But well, apparently there is going to be an announcement next year regarding the secret. So I'm curious if that's true and what will be announced.

• In an interview at a german show Ron mentioned that it won't be the same story as he original thought because another 2 games were made although he will reveal the secret should Lucasarts ask him to make the 5th installment so there is out answer ppl. Please Ron make MI3 and 4 just a dream!! :)
    Kidding.
    well at least just 4
    Hahaha
    Demetris

• I'd want to see how the story was supposed to go, not how it continues from where other people left it..

Personally I think Curse and TMI were great (Escape wasn't really that great, and it didn't have a big effect on the story either), but I'd prefer to see how it would've continued if Gilbert would've had the chance to decide.

@LuigiHann said: I still think it would be hilarious and awesome if they made a "Monkey Island 3" using an engine virtually identical to the Monkey Island 2 engine, complete with 2D pixel art graphics, and no voice acting.

That'd be amazing.

• @LuigiHann said: I still think it would be hilarious and awesome if they made a "Monkey Island 3" using an engine virtually identical to the Monkey Island 2 engine, complete with 2D pixel art graphics, and no voice acting. The comparatively low-budget affair would fit its relatively niche audience, and it would be a perfect presentation of the original ideas exactly as they would have been presented if the project had been greenlit immediately after MI2. It would also immediately distinguish itself from the other sequels in a way that neither "branch" is the "wrong" one, they'd just be two very distinct tangents in the series. Sort of like a Mega Man 9.

that actually not a bad idea, it would please the older fans, and it would feel like it would naturally follow off from Monkey Island 2, and not interupt the curse,escape and tales.....some people might not agree, but i actually liked the ending of Monkey Island 2,it was an interesting twist....but i do want to see Ron's orignal Monkey Island 3....i mean come on, if it wasnt for him....we wouldnt of had Monkey Island in the first place....i do like other other Monkey Island games after number 2, but id like to see the orignal

• Personally, I liked Curse of Monkey Island. Without it, we wouldn't have Murray and it paved the way for much of the plot in ToMI.

• Answering to the question of the first post, I'm kinda purist and kinda liberal.

I would have prefered Monkey 3 done by Schafer and Gilbert, but I can accept these sequels, they are better than nothing.

Add Comment