Menu
User Avatar Image

Why come no Monkey Island?

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 894 users

I just realized that this is the first Monkey Island game that has nothing to do with the actual island at all!! While in the second game we didn't go to Monkey Island, Dinky Island is a small atoll off the coast of Monkey Island, connected by a series of tunnels, so it's kind of sort of connected to MI.

Not that I'm complaining about the story, which was great, but I was really hoping to see a fully 3D Monkey Island. So...

howcome.png

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GaryCXJk said: In official translations he's still called "Luffy".

Either is an aceptable romanization of ルフィ. Generally either is acceptable, barring extraneous circumstances like the name being a play off of a word in another language. Even romanizations in the text itself is generally not reliable, because the Japanese can be...somewhat poor at romanizing their own language, and they can also be inconsistant(Akira Toriyama of Dragonball fame has spelled Goku as Gokuh, Goku, Gokou, and Gokuu in various chapter title pages and promitional media).

• I personally liked that the writers didn't shoehorn an unnecessary visit to Monkey Island into the storyline. Such a trip would've felt forced in for the sake of a callback to previous games, most likely. The MI2 team also deliberately avoided revisiting locations from MI1 and the game was much the better for it.

(First person to counter with "But CMI said..." gets a kick in the fundament. :mad: )

• @ATMachine said: (First person to counter with "But CMI said..." gets a kick in the fundament. :mad: )

We at the VERY LEAST get to assume that the sequel to Tales will reveal that(*gasp!*) "______ WAS MONKEY ISLAND ALL ALONG!", in an idiotic and overly cartoony sequence which so heavily outweighs the good aspects of the game that it almost single-handedly ruins the whole thing.

• @Rather Dashing said: We at the VERY LEAST get to assume that the sequel to Tales will reveal that(*gasp!*) "______ WAS MONKEY ISLAND ALL ALONG!", in an idiotic and overly cartoony sequence which so heavily outweighs the good aspects of the game that it almost single-handedly ruins the whole thing.

Monkey Island 2 is the second worst Monkey Island game I've ever played.

• @Pale Man said: Monkey Island 2 is the second worst Monkey Island game I've ever played.

...Okay?

I could say "I don't like rutabagas", but I'm not sure how that's relevant either.

• @Rather Dashing said: ...Okay?

I could say "I don't like rutabagas", but I'm not sure how that's relevant either.

I also dislike rutabagas. And I once purchased a CD on ebay but never received it.

• @Sailorcuteness said: there was no metal gear in metal gear solid 3 no zelda in links awakening and the real mortal kombat tournment was only in the first game

Shagohad(sp?) was a Metal Gear. It was the very first.

Zelda is mentioned at the beginning. She wasn't physically there though.

True about MK.

• @StoutFiles said: Shagohad(sp?) was a Metal Gear. It was the very first.

Zelda is mentioned at the beginning. She wasn't physically there though.

True about MK.

Link's Awakening didn't even happen.

• Zelda wasn't in Majora's Mask either, other than a memory. And the end of Link's Awakening happened.

Also, Samus drove the Metroid species to extinction but we're still calling that one Metroid, the only brothers in Super Smash Bros. are Mario, Luigi, and Popo (not to mention that Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Nana are girls), Kingdom Hearts didn't make an appearance in Chain of Memories, and they're all called Final Fantasy even though none of them are ever the last one.

Add Comment