User Avatar Image

Rise Of The Pirate God Review Broke Our Ratings System! (Alternative Magazine Online)

posted by martymcfly on - last edited - Viewed by 259 users

Alternative Magazine Online's review for Rise Of The Pirate God is now up:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2009/12/09/game-review-tales-of-monkey-island-chapter-5-rise-of-the-pirate-god-season-finale/

Final interview with Dom should go up within the next few days as well. If any of you have burning questions still left unanswered (I have interviewed him 5 times so far!) let me know and I may include them! Would also love to hear what you have thought of our coverage and if you agree with this final review/ score!

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @martymcfly

Thank you for understanding. I was a bit scared that this may be interpreted as bashing, since English is not my native language and I cannot put my words as carefully as in German. It was indeed a good discussion. Thanks!

• @108 Stars

No worries!

@bobhobbit

Sorry mate the questions are sent! I may ask some more, although it is already going to a proper massive interview! UPDATE: I sent it anyway, I liked it.

UPDATE: Also sent yours as well BeeKay!

• @martymcfly said: UPDATE: Also sent yours as well BeeKay!

Awesome, thank you! :)

• No problem! Just had an email from Dom saying he is working on it all while he also completes the game to see if he missed anything. He said he will get the answers to me tonight... seeing as it is 00.31am here now, that means I probs will have them in my inbox in the morning when I wake up! I'm such a big kid, really excited to read his answers.

• Awesome! Can't wait to read his responses!!

• I'm kinda excited to hear his thoughts too. Especially after such a dramatic ending.
    Don't suppose you asked him about his meeting with Ron Gilbert at PAX?
    Would be interesting to hear what it was like.

• If you don't believe in review scores, you really shouldn't be utilizing them. That's fairly plain and simple. If you aren't misusing such a scoring system, then perhaps you should say why it isn't misuse rather than saying that review scores as a whole are a fault.

I don't think such a score is at all balanced, considering many fairly evident flaws in the final product. While a 10 can't possibly mean "perfection", it can be a score given for doing a good deal more than ever expected on all fronts. While Telltale did a lot more than expected in many areas of this final chapter, it seemed very skewed toward the end(especially puzzle-wise) and the game was just...easy. When we do consider that we are playing a game, and not watching a film, gameplay should be a major concern.

What if something does better than Tales? Will we see a 12, 13, 20 out of 10? While giving two 10s is not a problem if you consider 10 to be a good deal more than can be expected, giving an 11 and then sticking to a 10-point scale just skews the scale. Every 10 will be a step "lower", as will every other number. I don't think it's responsible, if you're going to be using a numbered scale.

• @Rather Dashing said: If you don't believe in review scores, you really shouldn't be utilizing them. That's fairly plain and simple. If you aren't misusing such a scoring system, then perhaps you should say why it isn't misuse rather than saying that review scores as a whole are a fault.

I don't think such a score is at all balanced, considering many fairly evident flaws in the final product. While a 10 can't possibly mean "perfection", it can be a score given for doing a good deal more than ever expected on all fronts. While Telltale did a lot more than expected in many areas of this final chapter, it seemed very skewed toward the end(especially puzzle-wise) and the game was just...easy. When we do consider that we are playing a game, and not watching a film, gameplay should be a major concern.

What if something does better than Tales? Will we see a 12, 13, 20 out of 10? While giving two 10s is not a problem if you consider 10 to be a good deal more than can be expected, giving an 11 and then sticking to a 10-point scale just skews the scale. Every 10 will be a step "lower", as will every other number. I don't think it's responsible, if you're going to be using a numbered scale.

How can I submit my review to any game news sites without a score? Some won't even let you without one. Also, when I used to not use them, most people would scroll down for a score, not see one, leave a comment to complain and leave.

I believe they serve a purpose, but the words are what are most important to me and I explained that in my previous posts with 108 stars.

11 out of 10 is to show how this game is the finest adventure I have played in 10 years. I don't think it will be bettered for some time, and when it is I won't be giving 13/14/15 etc.

If it makes it easier for the few people who have taken offense (to my personal opinion that I backed up with words no less) then please, just read the score as 10 out of 10. To me, that is what it is. I even explain in the review, they one upped last chapter. Chapter 4 was my site's first ever 10 out of 10... chapter 5 took things even higher, so 11 sounded right in context with the thousand words above it. Anyone then expecting this 11 to be indicate perfection hasn't read the words.

I don't really see in my eyes how the final could have been better. 11 out of 10 simply shows how after episode 4, I thought the only way was down. To me, chapter 5 then went up. I am sorry anyway if some people didn't get this: but then again, many people did and actually thanked me for it. Each to their own.

You even say: "While Telltale did a lot more than expected in many areas of this final chapter, it seemed very skewed toward the end(especially puzzle-wise) and the game was just...easy. When we do consider that we are playing a game, and not watching a film, gameplay should be a major concern."

This is YOUR review, not mine! I didn't find it skewed towards the end, and I found the puzzles perfect... hence my score. A review is an opinion and a score is a mere quick glance at what to expect from the review. 11 out 10 shows how I thought the game raised itself above our previous score, and I backed it up with my words... where I found the puzzles just fine and not too easy at all.

We will probably just have to agree to disagree though :)

• UPDATE: Telltale just featured my review on their review-roundup page which is pretty sweet as well!

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-548

Add Comment