User Avatar Image

How were the voice actors for Sam and Max chosen?

posted by doom saber on - last edited - Viewed by 939 users

Before I start, this topic isn't about how the old lucasart voice actors are superior to the Telltale ones (I am satisfy with the new voices), but rather I am curious on how you chose the voices for the telltale games.

What I mean is when you had ppl auditioned the roles of our favorite canine and rabbit thingy, did you tell them to play Sam like Humphrey Bogard or did you use samples of the the hit the road game for them to mimic? I am curious on the process since you guys, Steve, or the voice director can choose a different sounding voice if you wanted to; like how the cartoon show voice for Sam sounds completey different the Hit the Road and the telltale s&m games.

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • They threw knives at applicants. The ones that didn't die got the job.

• We put all the actors on a big wheel, and spin it for each role. The hardest part is keeping them from falling off when we spin it.

• I heard that they dipped 100 voice actors in molten lava and those that survived got the job

• What's sad is I think everyone who opened this thread had a similair idea as to how to make a witty response... only to find someone else has.

I think I may cry myself to sleep now.

• Well, seriously, I think it's the same way most people cast actors... listen to auditions and pick our favorites. And maybe some dart-throwing.

• @tabacco said: Well, seriously, I think it's the same way most people cast actors... listen to auditions and pick our favorites. And maybe some dart-throwing.

I guess I worded it wrong, but how they get Sam and Max sound similar to the original as oppose to sounding something else like the tv series? I am either thinking they played a sampe for them to mimic or the director told them to do an impression of some famous icon like Humphrey Bogard.

• @Sp0tted said: What's sad is I think everyone who opened this thread had a similair idea as to how to make a witty response... only to find someone else has.

:D :D :D :D

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@tabacco said: We put all the actors on a big wheel, and spin it for each role. The hardest part is keeping them from falling off when we spin it.

That reminded me of the Futurama episode where Kif (sp?) gets pregnant and they have to figure out who contributed the DNA. :)

• @Sp0tted said: What's sad is I think everyone who opened this thread had a similair idea as to how to make a witty response... only to find someone else has.

Not me. I was first.

• User Avatar Image
    Brendan Telltale Staff

In the case of Sam and Max, prospective actors were given descriptions of the characters written by Steve Purcell, as well as samples of the voices from the previous Sam & Max game. We listened to one set of auditions in which actors tried to mimic the sound fairly closely, and another where we encouraged them to try something to give it a fresh spin. For some of the actors, we asked them to audition again, with some more specific direction to help them hone in on the character's style.

In the case of newly created characters, we typically write up a brief summary of the character's personality, as well as some possible similar voices. For some, we have a fairly specific idea of the voice in mind. For example, Mr. Featherly the chicken actor was supposed to be reminiscent of Don Knotts on-camera, and someone like Patrick Stewart off.

Add Comment