User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 714 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't see how it makes a difference. It's not as if the actual game would change. It would be too much work to program all five episodes into one single game. ToMI may be divided into 5 episodes but it still is a complete game, with an overarching story.

• I'd like to be able to play it as a whole game. The series is probably the least episodic TTG have done, in the respect that the episodes aren't as self contained as, say, Sam&Max. You can't just jump into a random episode.

Having said that, the option to play single chapters wouldn't be a bad thing.

• they should just leave it as is. if they put it in a single game, it's just gonna take more work to make a change that isn't needed, and its gonna take longer for the DVD to come out

• @lecharles said: they should just leave it as is. if they put it in a single game, it's just gonna take more work to make a change that isn't needed, and its gonna take longer for the DVD to come out

I'm actually fine with that if it means we get the game as a whole, bug fixed, in better quality, etc.

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

Episodic. They're written as episodes, not as one complete game cut into five bits. Don't try to make it something it isn't. Just running an entire season worth of tv shows back to back does not a movie make, and the same thing is true for episodic video games.

• I'd like it if while playing, when the end of an episode comes up it just sort of fades in to the next one (like when the ad-break comes if you're watching a tv series on DVD) rather than redirecting you to the main menu. Having said that, the menu should still have "chapter 1, chapter 2" etc.

• @Bas said: Episodic. They're written as episodes, not as one complete game cut into five bits. Don't try to make it something it isn't. Just running an entire season worth of tv shows back to back does not a movie make, and the same thing is true for episodic video games.

No, they're not written as episodes, they're written as chapters. The Sam & Max games have episodes in that you can choose any one and play it without missing much, just like a TV series. In Tales, however, you can't do that. It's much more like a movie than a TV show.

• @Bas said: Episodic. They're written as episodes, not as one complete game cut into five bits.

I wouldn't say they are episodes, they all link and flow naturally as a game, events in Chapter 1 are brought back in Chapter 4, you can't just jump into Chapter 4, you wouldn't know what the hell was going on, the endings for Chapter 1 through 3 can even be stitched together in a video editor and look seamless (except for Morgans and Guybrushes change of lines at the end of chapter 1, that took some dodgey cuts).

• I'd love to see it as an option, but I don't think it'd be very easy for them to do, so I doubt it will happen, at least, not this season.

• It really needs to be played in order, though it would be nice with an option to select a chapter after you've beaten them.

Add Comment