User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 602 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Option indeed, like with a tv show dvd box, you can choose to watch one particular episode, or use the "play all" function.

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

"Episode" does not mean "single contained story that can be played in any order".

• @Ash735 said: I'm actually fine with that if it means we get the game as a whole, bug fixed, in better quality, etc.

Yep, that's the first priority. Bug fixing and polisihing the actual game means a lot more than menu options.

@Ash735 said: "Episode" does not mean "single contained story that can be played in any order".

True, many TV series (especially miniseries with just 5 episodes) tell a single story and in some way those miniseries are just long movies, which have been cut to episodes for practical reasons (who would watch 5 hour TV movie?). Start watching such series from the middle and you have no idea what is going on.

Tales is similar with miniseries in many ways.

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

@Olaus Petrus said:
    True, many TV series (especially miniseries with just 5 episodes) tell a single story and in some way those miniseries are just long movies, which have been cut to episodes for practical reasons

But that's not what's going on. They're not making a five hour movie and then cutting it up into five one hour bits, they're writing five episodes which, together, tell a single story. But the episodes themselves each have their own three acts, tension arcs, cliffhangers, etcetera. Writing a story in five subsequent episodes is entirely different than writing a single five hour story. Re-editing them to make one complete thing just doesn't work.

• @Bas said: But that's not what's going on. They're not making a five hour movie and then cutting it up into five one hour bits, they're writing five episodes which, together, tell a single story. But the episodes themselves each have their own three acts, tension arcs, cliffhangers, etcetera. Writing a story in five subsequent episodes is entirely different than writing a single five hour story. Re-editing them to make one complete thing just doesn't work.

IMO Tales forms a single story and I see it as a single adventure game which was published in five chapters. When I compare it to chapters of previous Monkey games I don't see much difference. For example CMI's chapters form their own smaller story archs. Grim Fandango's four years which could be easily be divided as episodes of an episodic adventure game etc. Even in games where story isn't divided to obvious chapters, plot and puzzles usually divide the story to smaller archs.

• full game = no Murray credits.

/thread.

• I think it's fine left episodic. For the sake of playing the whole story from beginning to end it might be cool as a full game, but all it's saving you from doing is having to exit one chapter and load the next. Not really a big deal.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

The only change I'd like to find in the DVD version is a way to proceed to the next episode without exiting the game, exiting the launcher, launching another episode and clicking "play".

The "Treasure Hunt" button changed into "Play Next Episode" (after finishing the episode) is a good option

• @Mataku said: full game = no Murray credits.

/thread.

@Mataku said: The only change I'd like to find in the DVD version is a way to proceed to the next episode without exiting the game, exiting the launcher, launching another episode and clicking "play".

The "Treasure Hunt" button changed into "Play Next Episode" (after finishing the episode) is a good option

I quite agree, I just can't see the point of glueing the episodes together (unless you're some kind of Murray-hating anti-episodic ungrateful hate monster, of couse... :D)

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

@jmm said: The only change I'd like to find in the DVD version is a way to proceed to the next episode without exiting the game, exiting the launcher, launching another episode and clicking "play".

This man speaks wisely.

Add Comment