User Avatar Image

Thoughts, ideas, and storyline for 2nd Season TOMI

posted by Griswald Goodsoup on - last edited - Viewed by 696 users

There seems to be a running tangent in other threads, which has devolved inevitably into arguing over continuity issues, and minor questions about who is likely to reprise as secondary characters.

This thread is for suggestions on a future TOMI season. So grab those thinking caps (not the dunce hat) and present Telltale Games with your suggestions.

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lena_P said: Hmm, let me see if I remember how to write about things seriously. Okay, I'd honestly like to not just see more of Elaine, but have the next series be built around her. (...) Guybrush got a little "cooler" in Tales, why not keep that maturity intact, and let him help Elaine out for once? You don't have to throw out the dynamic of their marriage, but Elaine's only human; she has to have a vulnerable side, just like anybody else.

Agreed. There must be more potential taken out of Elaine's character. Personally, I found her to have become a bit too stereotypical a character over the last few games. I mean, I never really understood why Elaine "wants to go back being a pirate at the end of EMI - she'd never been one before, right? There was a lot more mystery behind that woman back in MI1, granted, maybe that was also due to the lack of screentime, but mainly because she had something "inapproachable" as a woman of politics, she was cryptic in a way. Not sure how to put this, but maybe you see where I'm going.

As the true center character of the Monkey Island universe I agree that season 2 should try and focus on Elaine. Maybe she has a secret as big as the Voodoo Lady's? I mean: can anyone answer me the question why the Voodoo Lady would have forced LeChuck to chase for Elaine's love all those years? I don't see why she'd do that (yet LeChuck says that it was part of her doing, too). I see an interesting attempt in revealing some background knowledge about Elaine in season 2, and, as Lena said, show a vulnerability in her character. It's a little nonnatural for a woman not to have an emotional breakdown after a decade or so of massive stalking.

• @Lena_P said: How could you ever suggest such a ridiculous, non-canon, totally unforeseeable type of thing like that?! You, sir, must be mad. Flame flame flame, flame, flame flame.

Burn the infidel!

Anyway, personally i would like to see a structure similair to tales, in the respect lechuck isn't revealed as the villain until the very end. But i think for that to have a proper effect, he needs to be absent for chapters 1-4.

• @Mermaid said:
    As the true center character of the Monkey Island universe I agree that season 2 should try and focus on Elaine.

That's a really good point that seems to have been forgotten a bit as time has gone on. The main conflict of the series is really centered on our former governor, and Tales has begun to bring her back to the forefront of the story. It'd be nice if we could get a little resolution to her character.

@Mermaid said: It's a little nonnatural for a woman not to have an emotional breakdown after a decade or so of massive stalking.

This is both a good point and a hilarious line. Seriously, as tough and kickass as Elaine is, even she must get a little freaked out from time to time at the thought of how persistent LeChuck is. I'm not saying she needs to turn into Irene Dunne, but a hint of frustration at least might be nice.

• As mentioned a 'Baron Samedi' or 'Shadowman' character could be very effective escpeciialy since now Guybrush treats the Voodoo Lady with very little trust, something that could be taken advantage of by any voodoo rival she might have.

It might be nice to add a little Aztec flavour into the mix as De Cava was reminiscent of a conquistador I don't think it would be too far fetched. It's a good source of cursed treasure, evil gods and disturbing monkey creature statue's at least.

• Actually we've never seen any Native Caribbean ... ese peoples in MI have we? The cannibals seemed more like stereotypical Polynesian types. Which I always thought was kind of confusing, but with a Viking ship and Groga-Cola machine who cares really?

• @Lena_P said: Actually we've never seen any Native Caribbean ... ese peoples in MI have we? The cannibals seemed more like stereotypical Polynesian types. Which I always thought was kind of confusing, but with a Viking ship and Groga-Cola machine who cares really?

I always thought of the voodoo lady as being Caribbean-ese. Afterall, didn't voodoo originate there?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Captain Mickey said: You know what? That'd be actually awesome to see a villain similar to Dr. Facilier.

Disney does the best villains, so any bad guy (or girl!) sharing similarities with one of theirs would most likely be awesome. Although I haven't seen The Princess and the Frog yet. :)

@Captain Mickey said:
    Anyway, personally i would like to see a structure similair to tales, in the respect lechuck isn't revealed as the villain until the very end. But i think for that to have a proper effect, he needs to be absent for chapters 1-4.

Yes, I think LeChuck needs to take a back seat in the next installment in order to keep things fresh. That was one of the great things about TMI - they found a way to avoid LeChuck being (obviously) evil for most of the game, although there was a wonderful "is he / isn't he" undercurrent. The introduction of another interesting villain, in the form of De Singe, was also very welcome.

It would be poor storytelling to keep the main antagonist absent until the end though. And weird for people who start with the sequel instead of playing TMI first.

Perhaps the story could revolve around someone trying to resurrect LeChuck, and Guybrush needing to stop them. Still LeChuck-related but not more of the same "har har har I'm going kill Guybrush and marry Elaine" business.

Also agree with the comments about Elaine meriting some serious character development in the next game. Elaine has been around for 5 games now, but in just one game Morgan has completely leapfrogged her in terms of character development.

As for puzzles, it would be great to have less "find this shopping list of items in the jungle", and more puzzles like those in Lair of the Leviathan. The solutions in that chapter were often based around knowing other characters and their motivations (e.g. "breaking" the brotherhood to find the Tongue of the Manatee). I really liked that. There were also interesting things that I've never done in other adventure games, and really play to Telltale's strengths - like the way the "faceoff" puzzle made excellent use of their capability to do expressive facial animations.

Those things aside, I'd just like to see how the writers continue the Voodoo Lady story they've set up in TMI.

• I think you can drop the 'ese' hehe. I think Voodoo originated from a mix of West African religion and Catholicism in Haiti as far as I am aware, I could be wrong though.

• The game is really fantastic! I love it.. but I think that final is very similar to LOOM! Bobbin had the death doors open! someone played it?
    Please now is time for a second loom part, or best MANIAC MANSION 3, ZACK MC CRACKEN 2 or THE DIG 2!!!

Wish the best!

Juan Ignacio
    from
    Argentina

• I was very much hoping for a clear-up of the Big Whoop mess from the end of Le Chuck's Revenge. I think many MI fans would have loved to see TTG taking this great opportunity, and I for one am disappointed that it didn't happen (despite Ron Gilbert's involvement). So that's of course my main suggestion for Season 2.

@puzzlebox said: As for puzzles, it would be great to have less "find this shopping list of items in the jungle"

I'd appreciate that very much, too.

And I totally agree with those previous posters who would like to see much more character development for Elaine. She's got a lot of potential.

Add Comment