User Avatar Image

Thoughts, ideas, and storyline for 2nd Season TOMI

posted by Griswald Goodsoup on - last edited - Viewed by 813 users

There seems to be a running tangent in other threads, which has devolved inevitably into arguing over continuity issues, and minor questions about who is likely to reprise as secondary characters.

This thread is for suggestions on a future TOMI season. So grab those thinking caps (not the dunce hat) and present Telltale Games with your suggestions.

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @puzzlebox said: Also agree with the comments about Elaine meriting some serious character development in the next game. Elaine has been around for 5 games now, but in just one game Morgan has completely leapfrogged her in terms of character development.

I agree! That's the one thing that really troubled me about Morgan. I mean, she's a great character and all - but she got way too much attention, compared to Elaine. More Elaine would be good, just like Reaper Lyn said in one of the first posts to this thread. And I agree with what she said about the islands from previous games, too.

• On the Elaine development thing, while it would be nice to see her more and learn more about her, (I agree that she got way too little screen time in comparison to Morgan) I think I want to learn more about Guybrush first. I feel as if we don't really learn much about the actual characters in the first place. I mean, most of the stuff in MI2 and MI3 were illusions.

I also do like Elaine as a pirate (it's in her blood after all) but it'd be nice to see her governor side come out more often somehow.

I'm still waiting around for Wally to return, too.

And everyone knows I so want a kid to happen as a little sidekick for Guybrush. :3 (and maybe so he has to "rescue" someone other than Elaine for once) But who knows how that might work out and how Lucasarts would feel, so that would just be wishful thinking for a while now.

• 1. Don't have everyone have a secret agenda or master plan, thus ending the story with everyone screwing each other over.

This is good. (LeChuck in Tales)
    This is bad. (Elaine, Voodoo Lady)
    This should be avoided at all costs. (Rise of the Pirate God)

2. No more overreliance on scavenger hunts "Voodoo recipes" as puzzles.

• I'd like to see some time traveling. Like in one chapter, Guybrush travels back in time and creates a paradox which turns him into the Demon Pirate Threepwood, and LeChuck becomes the clumsy, naïve and loveable pirate-wannabe married to Elaine. And in order to set things right, Guybrush has to make Elaine fall in love with his demon self.

I would also like to see in this alternative timeline, Murray as a gentle and humble care keeper of an orphanage (still as a skull), singing the song Edelweiss to the children.

• @swedish_jedi said: I would also like to see in this alternative timeline, Murray as a gentle and humble care keeper of an orphanage (still as a skull), singing the song Edelweiss to the children.

No. Just... no.

Unless there's another Edelweiss song that wasn't US-only... :p

np: Martyn - Is This Insanity? (ft. Spaceape) (Great Lengths)

• @pluizig said: 1. Don't have everyone have a secret agenda or master plan, thus ending the story with everyone screwing each other over.

This is good. (LeChuck in Tales)
    This is bad. (Elaine, Voodoo Lady)
    This should be avoided at all costs. (Rise of the Pirate God)

2. No more overreliance on scavenger hunts "Voodoo recipes" as puzzles.

Good examples. They make alot of sense too from what was done in Tales.

• @Leak said: No. Just... no.

Unless there's another Edelweiss song that wasn't US-only... :p

I was taking about Edelweiss from the musical Sound of Music :D

• Telltale will write it well, if they decide to do a second series.

My personal preference would be:

Not many returning characters or places. In S&M I think characters like Sybil and Bosco were great, but being too confined to one place is a no-no for me. Having said this, I do think re-using locations within the season could work well (as with chp1/4 Flotsam). One of the main issues i've picked up on while reading this forum is that people didn't like the uncertainty of having one new episode from a relative unknown, and then being cooped up in a location with just De Singe's house, a ship, a dockway and a forest to investigate. I also think this is an issue most people will forget about when they replay MI101 because they know TTG did a good job with it.

Preferably I would have, perhaps, one base of operation (like an Island, or a village) and then other places throughout the game. For me, EP3's interrogation scene with De Cava, Murray/Santino, Buguye, et al. all on one small boat and with just an ocean for TT to worry about making, made it easy to get on with some good storytelling. The opposite to this, for me, would be Spinner Cay's surrounding islands. They felt samey (especially the forest) probably because of the limited HR, time and overall data-size. For me, this should point conclusively to a game where Guybrush visits a few different locations, but is very much based on one village. This way, the size limit won't be bothered by slightly different-looking mini islands and they can concentrate on making one place look nice, and developing plot rather than feeling obliged to give more locations.

Extricating our hero for episode 2 would be perhaps wise. To ensure the limited time/size etc. don't trip the game up, perhaps Guybrush should be in an underground location or a fortress of some kind, etc. This would allow more sets, but smaller and hence easier/quicker to make and smaller in data-size. It would therefore provide the best value (in terms of atmosphere, interest and story-telling) for input. Ep 3 could re-use Episode 1's base, giving the team all that time to tweak the appearance, add a few things here and there, or perhaps the much needed extra cast (with ep1/2 for me feeling like a ghost-town with so few people). I think you get the idea.

Characters are integral to a good story. SoMI had numerous great characters (especially thinking of what went on to become the core cast, but also supporting chars like Carla and Otis), LCR introduced yet more (including the iconic Largo), and CoMI followed the trend (with no new baddies, but an interesting cabana-boy, pathetic pirates of Danjer Cove, Murray!, etc. - the 2d look helped make a wealth of interesting characters due to the detail available), and EfMI partly failed on this count, but I believe this is as much because they provided such large roles to old characters such as Otis and Carla. Therefore, re-using characters must be kept to a miminum. I would suggest Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, Winslow, Murray, Stan, Voodoo Lady. Over 5 episodes i'm fairly confident the two-three who wouldn't play a great part in the game could be given interesting roles, without it feeling forced.

So my ideas for next season? I would not seek an immediate bang. LeChuck is best when he is omnipresent yet unseen. Especially in LCR, LeChuck was always a threat but not seen outside of cut-scenes until nearer the end when we get to the fortress. Therefore, I would introduce a new enemy of some kind (like the Marquis de Singe in the first season) while cut-scenes and perhaps scraps of information, give us the feeling that something bad is continuing to build. Perhaps we need a Moriarty-style baddie who can be used sporadically, to give us relief from one tension, yet never really conclude in a boss-fight like LC/GB always does. Perhaps this new secondary villain can be an entirely different style to LeChuck. Ozzy Mandril in EfMI very nearly made this tandem-evil work, and shows how a contrast in styles can make an opening in the story for another baddie. Perhaps, for the sake of download-size etc., Guybrush, by episode 2/3 can be stuck in a fortress. This can take two eps and therefore allows the team to concentrate on making it atmospheric and story/character driven. This would also allow The Darkness (not the band from Norfolk) to be introduced for the seemingly vampiric MI community.
    Morgan would have to be in the game, but she could be used anywhere, and given her prominent role in season1 I would hesitate before bringing her back in season2 in such a vanguard-role. I would have LeChuck introduced perhaps in ep2, early in the fortress bit, and then introduced properly in ep3. So it would be like this:

ep1: Guybrush on a new location, some kind of bad-feck happens, this new moriarty guy is a distant threat
    ep2: Guybrush locked up in this guy's fortress. Moriarty type guy is prominent, and LeChuchk is introduced fleetingly
    ep3: Guybrush and LeChuck fill the story, in the finale of the fortress.
    ep4: Guybrush and moriarty get closer to a resolving confrontation, which is aided by Morgan, who confuses the situation as she is working for this new gentleman-villain (who MUST have a top-hat and monocle, or at least English accent, oh and should be Tim Curry :p)
    ep5: would see this all crushendo. The Morgan confusion, the LeChuck rivalry, the new guy, all in one small melting pot.

Okay, so I ripped off LCR with the fortress, but the more important idea is the direction. I want a secondary villain who is more convincing than the Voodoo Lady, who can take away the antagonism between Guybrush and LeChuck, making a more intricate story (which would still be easy enough to follow for a new player). The Voodoo Lady's antagonism with Guybrush was only really the same story as with LeChuck. I want somebody like Ozzy Mandrill who is just your plain and simple intellectual/middle-class greedy villain, whose animosity with Guybrush can feel entirely different, and be entirely different, to the endless saga over Elaine that the LeChuck antagonism is. I also think enclosed places would be better. The islands of ep2 lacked soul, while the forest of ep1 just didn't feel atmospheric enough (and no, rain wouldn't help! :p) because of graphics limitations. Indoor locations can have atmosphere changing from room-to-room etc.

• @PecanBlue said:

And everyone knows I so want a kid to happen as a little sidekick for Guybrush. :3 (and maybe so he has to "rescue" someone other than Elaine for once) But who knows how that might work out and how Lucasarts would feel, so that would just be wishful thinking for a while now.

I don't know, after hearing all those various lines from Guybrush, especially in Ch. 4, sounds to me that the idea of a kid isn't so farfetched, otherwise why throw them into the story? Aside from the humor, of course. :)

Suddenly becoming parents would certainly add to character development, wouldn't it?

• @swedish_jedi said: I was taking about Edelweiss from the musical Sound of Music :D

That's why I specifically said "not US-only" - you'll be hard pressed to find someone here in Austria[sic!] that has heard of "The Sound Of Music"... :p

(All I've ever heard about it I found on American sites... not that I care much for it anyway.)

np: Das Bierbeben - Don't Drink The Water (Alles Fällt)

Add Comment