User Avatar Image

Situation Comedy won't start up

posted by tommyk on - last edited - Viewed by 780 users

When I try to start Situation Comedy, nothing happens. The process is active, but the launcher never comes up. I had no problems with Culture Shock, so this seems strange. I've tries to redownload--no change. Any help would be appreciated.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No luck--same thing. Culture Shock still loads and plays normally. The other three have the same problem described above.

• I just started having the exact same problem, actually. Ep. 4 (and all the other episodes, for that matter) were working back when Ep. 4 was a fresh new download. Now none of them do, and they oftentimes have more than one process each running. I see a window pop up for each, but they are completely blank.

System specs for my machine:
    Intel Core Duo @ 2.16 GHz.
    2 GB of RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 w/ 256 MB. of VRAM
    Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

...and I have ClamAV installed as my anti-virus, but it hasn't given me trouble before and is never running when I run S&M.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ep. 4, but with no luck.

• Tanuki - so they were working fine before, and now they're not working at all?

What's changed on your machine in the meantime? Any Windows updates? New software installed? Can you run a virus scan and an adware/spyware check on the machine? Also try defragging the hard drive.

-Emily

• Sounds similar, although with episodes 2-4 I don't even see a blank window.

• Tommyk, I'd be happy to refund your money since we can't get this figured out. You've been very patient and I'm sorry we haven't been able to find a solution. :(

• What kinds of things does the authentication system look for? (does it look for certain pieces of hardware? Windows XP product key?) Is it altogether possible for us to simply receive a new authentication key if we supply our order numbers to you? I know this isn't the first time I've had issues with the authentication system...as a Season one customer, I had an issue with the first episode starting up, which resulted in me emailing Telltale my order number.

• Changes in my system between the time in which it did work and didn't work include a different install of XP with a different product key, any mandatory updates from Microsoft, and a non-mandatory update from Microsoft allowing for more efficient dual core processing. Since I'm in OS X now (I'm using a MacBook Pro), I will boot into XP, defrag my hard drive, and update this post to see if that changes anything.

• Problem solved. It must've been an issue with a change in Windows XP product keys.

Tommyk, did the other episodes used to work for you? If so, what kind of changes have been made in your system between when they worked and when they didn't? Maybe your issue is similar to mine in this respect.

• [quote]Problem solved. It must've been an issue with a change in Windows XP product keys.[/quote]

How did you solve it? Just from the defrag?

• Nope, no defrag was necessary. I reverted to an older XP install, and the program began to work again.

Add Comment