User Avatar Image

Cannot run game, please help!

posted by kkatblue on - last edited - Viewed by 588 users

When I try to run any of my TOMI games, it begins to load the opening login screen, but then I get this error:

glitch.jpg

It makes no difference whether I choose 'yes' or 'no'; the only thing it allows me to do is to login to the website. I also cannot enter my registration code anywhere to make the game run.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3, v.3264 (2600.xpsp.071130-1427)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/11/07 09:21:43 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 630MB used, 3311MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.3264 32bit Unicode

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you! :)

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Will: I performed all of the updates you suggested, and it still gives the same error message (I did restart the computer after updating).

Stormeagle6 & DjNDB: Thank you for your posts, I will give your suggestions a try. :)

• 1. I deleted the file, but when I tried to restart the game, it created an identical file and gave the same error message.

2. I followed all of the instructions and rebooted clean in Windows XP; but it still gave the same error message.

3. I attempted to update IE to version 8 (newest version), it gave me this message:

"Internet Explorer could not install because your computer failed to install a required update. Please click on the download button below to manually install the update."

4. I attempted to install the update, but it told me that I already had a newer update installed so it would not be necessary to do an update.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@kkatblue said:
    3. I attempted to update IE to version 8 (newest version), it gave me this message:

"Internet Explorer could not install because your computer failed to install a required update. Please click on the download button below to manually install the update."

4. I attempted to install the update, but it told me that I already had a newer update installed so it would not be necessary to do an update.

But you have Internet Explorer 7 now?

Have you tried the disconnected start?
    It should prevent that the troubling file gets downloaded in the first place.

• @DjNDB said: But you have Internet Explorer 7 now?

Have you tried the disconnected start?
    It should prevent that the troubling file gets downloaded in the first place.

Yes:

2. I followed all of the instructions and rebooted clean in Windows XP; but it still gave the same error message.

Also, when I went to see what the file was, it was just the file that starts up the game dialog box.

• Hi again,

I'm a bit disappointed because I made a second, much more detailed and very long post discussing what I did to fix the problem but it said it needed to be approved by a moderator and somehow vanished.

You can get around this problem without worrying about IE, drivers, or updates. It all has to do with that file I mentioned deleting. As you noticed, the files are just recreated in a new folder every time you reopen the launcher. What I had to do is make a minigame for myself of sorts: open the launcher (with my Temp folder open already), hit F5 repeatedly until the new folder is created (it's just a random string of letters and numbers, you should be able to distinguish it from the other folders), and fast as possible navigate through the folder/launcher/include to get to the offending file, click it, and hit shift+delete to kill it immediately. I had to do all of this before the launcher tried to use the file which was no easy task. I recommend practicing it a couple times to get the icon positions memorized.

For me, when I did this, I got a slew of other errors (probably because of file dependencies on the now deleted file) but I was still able to put in my game unlock code. I don't know if you're using an unlock code, if not this may not be a solution for you. The good news is that once you manage to get your unlock code put in, the game launcher runs smoothly without any errors from that point on.

I know this is a totally ridiculous and roundabout way of dealing with the problem, but it worked for me (my problem file was lib.js, though, not index. Hope it still helps).

• @stormeagle6 said: Hi again,

I'm a bit disappointed because I made a second, much more detailed and very long post discussing what I did to fix the problem but it said it needed to be approved by a moderator and somehow vanished.

You can get around this problem without worrying about IE, drivers, or updates. It all has to do with that file I mentioned deleting. As you noticed, the files are just recreated in a new folder every time you reopen the launcher. What I had to do is make a minigame for myself of sorts: open the launcher (with my Temp folder open already), hit F5 repeatedly until the new folder is created (it's just a random string of letters and numbers, you should be able to distinguish it from the other folders), and fast as possible navigate through the folder/launcher/include to get to the offending file, click it, and hit shift+delete to kill it immediately. I had to do all of this before the launcher tried to use the file which was no easy task. I recommend practicing it a couple times to get the icon positions memorized.

For me, when I did this, I got a slew of other errors (probably because of file dependencies on the now deleted file) but I was still able to put in my game unlock code. I don't know if you're using an unlock code, if not this may not be a solution for you. The good news is that once you manage to get your unlock code put in, the game launcher runs smoothly without any errors from that point on.

I know this is a totally ridiculous and roundabout way of dealing with the problem, but it worked for me (my problem file was lib.js, though, not index. Hope it still helps).

I will give it a shot, couldn't hurt. Thank you! :D

• Hmm... .js = Java Script?

Try installing Java, or something...

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@City Of Delusion said: Hmm... .js = Java Script?

Try installing Java, or something...

Yes, .js is JavaScript.
    Java however has almost nothing to do with JavaScript, therefore installing it can't help.

I rather assume that the Browser has trouble parsing the obfuscated code in lib.js for some reason.

Could someone with that error attach their lib.js?

• Hi, I talked to support on the phone, and they think it's strictly a problem with the version of IE that I have. They say I need to install version 8; but of course I cannot because it won't let me so I'm just going to spend some quality time on the phone with microsoft to see if I can get that straightened out.

stormeagle6: just wanted to let you know that I did try what you suggested, but it didn't work for me, thanks all the same!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to try to help me! Happy Holidays! :)

Kelly

• Ah that sucks...

Not to bring your hopes down, but I have IE 8 and I still had the error. Hope you fare better!

Add Comment