User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 604 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • As much as I'd love to see TOMI as a full game, I don't want it if it will bring down quality on Sam and Max: Season 3.

• @jmm said: The only change I'd like to find in the DVD version is a way to proceed to the next episode without exiting the game, exiting the launcher, launching another episode and clicking "play".

The "Treasure Hunt" button changed into "Play Next Episode" (after finishing the episode) is a good option

Yes, but if that was the only option, i think being able to skip the credits would be a necessity (at least for chapters1-4). Sure TTG deserve alot of credits, but it gets tiresome watching the same credits, repeatedly, with a different backdrop. If they were to do away for the 1-4 credits entirely, there could be a credits section in the bonus features, with the murray version, or alternatively just have esc being a skip/fastforward button.

• So when the credits are playing, go take a bathroom break. Besides, while many people are credited in each episode, that doesn't mean the credits are all exactly the same. Those people deserve to have their names play, too. Plus, the fourth episode credit sequence is also different in that the "Q" in Brendan's name is left off except for where he's listed as a pet, a cute joke that'll be lost if they cram all the credits into one giant list at the end.

And for those of you who have never bought any of the other Telltale DVD's, they do tend to make a new splash page where all the episodes are listed at once. So when you're booted out at the end of the game you can just click the next episode and jump right into it.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

@Lena_P said:
    And for those of you who have never bought any of the other Telltale DVD's, they do tend to make a new splash page where all the episodes are listed at once. So when you're booted out at the end of the game you can just click the next episode and jump right into it.

I Have a couple of those DVDs, I still find it annoying that the game forces me to quit and then select the next episode

@Lena_P said:
    i think being able to skip the credits would be a necessity (at least for chapters1-4).

Yeah, that too (I can't believe I forgot to add that feature) AND for all the episodes but with a small modification:
    If the episode has post credits sequences, then it should play the sequence first :) (And while we are at it, why not auto save at the beginning of the last pre-credits sequence as a new saved called "End")

These changes require some coding but only coding (plus maybe some static art for the buttons and some messages). The episodes will remain untouched.

Editing Tales to make it "one game" requires coding plus rewriting and redoing some art (and probably new choreography) AND people will complain for missing or changed parts => The episode must remain untouched (I won't complain if TTG squashes some bugs in the process)

• I think a full game is a good idea, and it will also sell better on retail that way. People in stores will be reluctant to buy a box full of "episodes" much more than a whole new Monkey Island game...

Anyway, this idea came up on the forums quite a few times already and now with a poll it looks like the majority of the community support it (more than double "yes" votes than "no" votes).

And to those who are fearful of losing the "Murray credits" and other extra stuff. There is no reason that the original episodes can't be included on the DVD as well! All five of the TOMI chapter installers take up about 1GB of data together. A DVD9 (which Telltale have used in the past) can hold about 8GB of data. So about 2-2.5GB of data for both possible TOMI versions, plus 6GB for extras.

The only obstacle to this idea is the fact as Jake explained (in one of the other numerous threads devoted to this subject) linking the episodes together might be very difficult to do technically. But I still hope that they can overcome the difficulties and go ahead with this plan. TT always were attentive to their fans and community, and that's one idea that seems to be supported by an overwhelming majority of the TOMI community.

• @Lena_P said: that'll be lost if they cram all the credits into one giant list at the end.

They could include the credits at the end of each episode if you play an episode individually, and then if you play the "long play mode" they could condense them all at the end with "Chapter 1 credits" "Chapter 2 credits" etc. in their own sections.

• Figured I'd ask in here instead of making a new thread... I've been out of the loop for a couple months, is there an expected ship date for the DVD release with the Purcell art?

• @petethepanda said: Figured I'd ask in here instead of making a new thread... I've been out of the loop for a couple months, is there an expected ship date for the DVD release with the Purcell art?

Not yet I don't think. I think the only official word has been "not before the end of the year". I'd give it a few months.

• Well, apart from slightly different repetition at the beginning of chapter 2 (notice that they are called chapters - not episodes), and post credit sequence at the end of chapter 3, the game progresses flawlessly as a single adventure.

And while they're at it, they could also add right click to move Guybrush in good old fashioned point and click manner...

• @Qwagor said: And while they're at it, they could also add right click to move Guybrush in good old fashioned point and click manner...

I hear they're going to turn it into a text adventure that only runs using DOS so you may be disappointed.

Add Comment