User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 656 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @guitarsareboring said: I hear they're going to turn it into a text adventure that only runs using DOS so you may be disappointed.

    I have my DOSBox ready exactly for that occasion!

  • Ehm...what's the matter with episodic release???

    I don't want a DVD without the intros, or the credits scene, or the voodoo lady tarot scenes.

    If you want the full game, simply when an episode is finished, play the next one :D

  • @Voodoomaster said: Ehm...what's the matter with episodic release???

    I don't want a DVD without the intros, or the credits scene, or the voodoo lady tarot scenes.

    If you want the full game, simply when an episode is finished, play the next one :D

    The idea is for them to be Extras, or Outtakes on the DVD, so we get both the full game as one, and the options to view those as extras as a bonus.

  • @Bas said: Episodic. They're written as episodes, not as one complete game cut into five bits. Don't try to make it something it isn't. Just running an entire season worth of tv shows back to back does not a movie make, and the same thing is true for episodic video games.

    unless there to be continued...

  • @Ash735 said: The idea is for them to be Extras, or Outtakes on the DVD, so we get both the full game as one, and the options to view those as extras as a bonus.

    Ok, but I don't want them as extras...i like them because they are INTO the game...

  • I voted "as one game", but I meant that as in "you're not kicked out of the game after each episode ends".
    I'm okay with the credits and intro scenes being kept but I'd like it better if you could play the next chapter directly, it would feel more like one full game, like the previous MI games (which had chapters too).
    The first Runaway game was like that, you could choose to install all chapters at once when you installed the game, or to install each chapter right before playing it. And there was an ingame menu to select which chapter to play, with each chapter unlocking after you finished the previous one.

    I'd like that kind of thing, if it's doable. It shouldn't require any change in scenes or removal of credits.

  • I would absolutely love for this to happen, or at least have the option on the DVD to play as episodes with credits or to play as one game with the credits & Voodoo Lady sections removed.

    A lot of people keep saying this isn't MI5, but if it could be played seamlessly as one big game, I can't see how they can say it's not MI5.

    All the bonuses & extras on the DVD will be nice, but for me personally, I've always wanted ToMI to be one complete game. It's the most important thing for me & if it happens, It will make my year.

  • @a3HeadedMonkey said: I would absolutely love for this to happen, or at least have the option on the DVD to play as episodes with credits or to play as one game with the credits & Voodoo Lady sections removed.

    A lot of people keep saying this isn't MI5, but if it could be played seamlessly as one big game, I can't see how they can say it's not MI5.

    All the bonuses & extras on the DVD will be nice, but for me personally, I've always wanted ToMI to be one complete game. It's the most important thing for me & if it happens, It will make my year.

    Why would anyone want to remove omnious voodoo lady scenes, those are part of the plot of the game and add a lot to the Voodoo Lady character. Those scenes work extremely well with the ending of the game.

  • @Olaus Petrus said: Why would anyone want to remove omnious voodoo lady scenes, those are part of the plot of the game and add a lot to the Voodoo Lady character. Those scenes work extremely well with the ending of the game.

    If I have to be honest, they arn't really a part of the plot, they are more like catch up segments, which makes sense for a Monthly release, a brief catch up from the Voodoo lady reminded people what happened in the previous episode. The only time they are a part of the plot is during the Chapter 5 intro, which only features the cards and sound clips from Chapter 4.

    The actual story is seamless, Chapter 1 ends with a sword at Guybrush's throat, Chapter 2 starts with that sword being pulled back as Morgan reveals herself, Chapter 2 ends with the ship being ate by the Manatee, Chapter 3 starts off by actually replaying that scene and continuing it on, Chapter 3 ends with Guybrush being knocked out, Chapter 4 starts a few hours later with Morgan rowing Guybrush back to Flotsam Island. If that could be combined into one long game it would work.

    Even though it won't happen, at least having an option to skip the credits and Voodoo Lady Intro's would be nice.

  • @Ash735 said: The actual story is seamless, Chapter 1 ends with a sword at Guybrush's throat, Chapter 2 starts with that sword being pulled back as Morgan reveals herself, Chapter 2 ends with the ship being ate by the Manatee, Chapter 3 starts off by actually replaying that scene and continuing it on, Chapter 3 ends with Guybrush being knocked out, Chapter 4 starts a few hours later with Morgan rowing Guybrush back to Flotsam Island. If that could be combined into one long game it would work.

    The story is seamless, but the narrative is episodic. The games are designed to end with cliffhangers; what would be the point of hiding Morgan's face at the end of Chapter 1 if you were going to reveal it three seconds later? There's some really good structural work in this game, and I don't think that should be thrown away just to satisfy a desire for it to be something it isn't?

Add Comment