User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Diduz said:
    You know what, it seems to me that the whole "Elaine-knowing-it-all-from-the-beginning" twist was a last-minute integration in an original story where she just handled the ring to Guybrush because it was a symbol of their marriage, and she was forced to follow LeChuck by the belt.

Absolutely agree.
    A game ruined by rush writing.

@Diduz said:
    No joke, if you cut two or three lines from ep5 and rewrite the last scene, you'll get a consistent Elaine (and a consistent plot) once again. No need to rewrite her role in previous episodes!!! :p

Yes, it would be fantastic. It would be great if Telltale - or even Mark Darin himself - do this "Director's cut". They can cut some lines and also add a longer hug, a kiss or somewhat for more satisfying ending.
    I really hope they do that.

• @Maxilyah said: Because while this season may be over, the game itself might not be over yet. If they decide to do a second season, I'm sure that everything will be explained. And at this point, how can they not do a second season? The last scene is obviously a teaser.

Like MI2?

Yes, I went there.

• @Bloody Eugene said: Yes, it would be fantastic. It would be great if Telltale - or even Mark Darin himself - do this "Director's cut". They can cut some lines and also add a longer hug, a kiss or somewhat for more satisfying ending.
    I really hope they do that.

I have to stress that IMHO ToMI is - up until ep4 - the best Monkey Island sequel after LeChuck's Revenge, and I mean it. :)
    Telltale did an incredible work, considering that they tried not to alter the franchise, developing it in a new way.
    That's the reason I am so irritated by the finale. If the whole game had huge problems, I wouldn't bother to suggest these (minor-but-HUGE-for-the-logic-of-the-plot) corrections. If the series was a total disaster, I guess me and Bloody Eugene would just dismiss it altogether, without a fight.

I just think it's a pity that a truly great experience is marred by a convoluted and messy narrative right at the photo finish! Come on! I don't think these minor corrections would compromise what we all loved in ep5: the power of love :p, Guybrush's sacrifice :), Elaine's strength, the eerie atmosphere. I didn't like the idea of another mystery (Voodoo Lady's plan) in the already messed-up Monkey Island continuity, but I can accept the creative choice: the Voodoo Lady mystery is presented as a mystery. I may like it, I may not, but I understand there's a mystery.
    On the other hand, Elaine's plan is not a mystery, it's just a good reason for Guybrush to get a divorce as soon as possible. The girl's out of her mind. :D

P.S.: Of course, an explanation for Morgan's body disappearance would be nice too.

• @hplikelike said: Like MI2?

Yes, I went there.

Yes, like MI2, don't really see what you're hinting at here.

• @PecanBlue said: (...) so [Elaine] came up with a show-don't-tell plan that didn't exactly work.

That's putting it lightly. She endangered dozens (maybe hundreds) of pirates and got Guybrush killed just to prove a point? I know she didn't 'foresee' the Pox getting out and LeChuck killing her husband in her 'plan', but maybe she shouldn't have played with fire then. This whole ordeal could've been avoided if Elaine hadn't taken stupid risks for no reason other than provide a argument for her opinion -that the Voodoo Lady isn't that benevolent.

Magnificent bastard, you say? There is no magnificence in this bastardry.

• Sorry, but can I just point something out about the wedding ring thing?

Why does everyone think that Elaine gave him her wedding ring as some sort of plan? She probably just gave him the ring to stop him being hit on. We all know what the Merfolk were like...

• @Chris1 said: We all know what the Merfolk were like...

Gender ambiguous?

• @pluizig said: That's putting it lightly. She endangered dozens (maybe hundreds) of pirates and got Guybrush killed just to prove a point? I know she didn't 'foresee' the Pox getting out and LeChuck killing her husband in her 'plan', but maybe she shouldn't have played with fire then. This whole ordeal could've been avoided if Elaine hadn't taken stupid risks for no reason other than provide a argument for her opinion -that the Voodoo Lady isn't that benevolent.

Magnificent bastard, you say? There is no magnificence in this bastardry.

Geez, you're a little too bitter and over-dramatic for a comedic game. If I had that attitude I would be getting pissed at Guybrush for risking someone's life multiple times by turning them into gold and letting them get kidnapped two times due to his own stupidity. But this is fiction, so we find it endearing.

Oh, and there's a certain mighty pirate hunter who handed Guybrush in to a scientist, thus letting him get captured by a mob and then putting him on a trial where he has to defend himself to avoid execution, (and she didn't even bother to help) thus not letting the pirate hero go out and save the pirates that are already endangered, and thus quite possibly causing him to get killed altogether, all because she decided to take an oath to hunt down what was her supposed hero. Who cares that she redeems herself, let's all hate on her!

Calm down, people make mistakes.

Either way, Elaine didn't construct the cutlass, nor did she revive LeChuck, nor did she tell Guybrush to put something other than root beer on the cutlass. In fact, I can't find any reason for why she would let herself get captured other than to watch the scene play out, since even if she would have helped, you can't get rid of LeChuck without the cutlass. My best guess is that she let LeChuck board her own ship to attract the attention of Guybrush for the scene to happen, but pretty much the game's point is that everything was going to happen anyway without being avoided, because Voodoo Lady plans everything and Elaine just couldn't outsmart her.

• @Voodoomaster said: I think that Episode 5 was great, but maybe the best thing that the TellTale can do in the next season

please don't think and speak about "SEASONS"...it is the same difference between a movie and a telefilm (in seasons)
    ...Monkey Island isn't an alternative graphic adventure of "sam & max" or "wallace and ..uhm..the other": it is a great game because of the great work of many years behind. Telltale could publish a season of monkey island every 6 months, but it would be a great error because every monkey island is one game itself, with the engine "graphic ecc." completely different from the previous

• @Diduz said:
    You know what, it seems to me that the whole "Elaine-knowing-it-all-from-the-beginning" twist was a last-minute integration in an original story where she just handled the ring to Guybrush because it was a symbol of their marriage, and she was forced to follow LeChuck by the belt.
    No joke, if you cut two or three lines from ep5 and rewrite the last scene, you'll get a consistent Elaine (and a consistent plot) once again. No need to rewrite her role in previous episodes!!! :p

I find this interesting...

Now I'll have to go back and replay everything to see if it seems right. It sure sounds right.

Add Comment