User Avatar Image

Physical release?

posted by atalkingmonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 105 users

Hey all,

I've had a reasonable search around the forum and I couldn't find this, although I may have missed it. I'm wondering when the season DVD for tales of monkey island comes out?

The reason I ask is that downloading simply isn't an option for me, owing to quite restrictive download limits in this backwater. We get 14 or 20 gigabytes a month between 4 of us, and it doesn't last. This account has already been shaped (to modem speed) for a week.

So I'm wondering when the season DVD(s) is/are being released by Telltale? Also what would be the shipping costs to Australia?

10 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Typically it takes a few months after the final episode is released for Telltale to produce the bonus features, get the DVD working without bugs, and get physical copies ready for shipping.

    If you want to check shipping costs, just plug your info into an order for another game and see what they'd charger you.

  • The DVD release won't be for a few months. If you've already purchased Tales, or subscribed to the telltale newsletter, they will let you know when it will be available, as soon as they have decided.

    If you can't wait, why don't you take a USB stick to a friends house and download the series onto that using their internet connection? You can then take it off the USB, onto your computer, install, then log-in/type in the product code, and you's be all set.

  • Unfortunately I've long used up all my favours with friends for steam downloads, and their internet situation isn't much better than mine in the first place. And work are watching my net traffic for doing the same previously, the proverbial rock and hard place.

    I haven't purchased it yet as I wasn't sure if a physical copy was even going to be made, and I wanted to get it shipped afterwards regardless of whether I downloaded it or not. I know now it is, so now the question I need to ask myself is should I wait or try to find another way to download it. Decisions, decisions.

  • Why don't you try your local library? They're kind of made for this sort of thing.

  • I thought libraries were made for books ^^

  • Besides books, most libraries now have Internet conections for their customers.
    Many libraries have music on CD, films on DVD, and even PC and console videogames!!
    O tempora o mores.

  • User Avatar Image
    jmm

    If you can spend some money you can ask someone to download the episodes and have him/her send the episodes in a rather inexpensive 1 or 2GB USB drive (around US$ 8). Even sending it overseas is not that expensive (Ask him/her to fill the drive with other legal downloads like Majus' I Wonder What Happens Series)

    Of course you'll have to pay again S&H for the real DVD but that's another story.
    That way the only bandwidth you'll use is the traffic from the activation process (A lot less than the gigabyte you have to download otherwise)

  • @atalkingmonkey said: Hey all,

    I've had a reasonable search around the forum and I couldn't find this, although I may have missed it. I'm wondering when the season DVD for tales of monkey island comes out?

    The reason I ask is that downloading simply isn't an option for me, owing to quite restrictive download limits in this backwater. We get 14 or 20 gigabytes a month between 4 of us, and it doesn't last. This account has already been shaped (to modem speed) for a week.

    So I'm wondering when the season DVD(s) is/are being released by Telltale? Also what would be the shipping costs to Australia?

    Actually it's the same here, the quota being 15 GB. Buuuut I download the episodes anyway...

    The deal is after I exceed this limit, my speed will be reduced (from 8mbit to 512kbit) until the month ends. But what I'm thankful is they're not that hardworking over there. I download, like, 30-40 GB after 20th of a month and there are no speed reductions. You may try that either. Hold yourselves till end of a month and download ANYTHING you want.

  • @Javi-Wan Kenobi said: Besides books, most libraries now have Internet conections for their customers.
    Many libraries have music on CD, films on DVD, and even PC and console videogames!!
    O tempora o mores.

    My wife worked at a library for many years and it had all these things.

  • I might try to hook up to my laptop up to a friend's university connection, that might do. Thanks for your help guys.

    Edit: Public libraries aren't an option around here, the local one has already barred most download sites because of people in my situation doing the same thing.

    @Falanca said: Actually it's the same here, the quota being 15 GB. Buuuut I download the episodes anyway...

    The deal is after I exceed this limit, my speed will be reduced (from 8mbit to 512kbit) until the month ends. But what I'm thankful is they're not that hardworking over there. I download, like, 30-40 GB after 20th of a month and there are no speed reductions. You may try that either. Hold yourselves till end of a month and download ANYTHING you want.


    We consistently hit the cap around the 20th of each month, and about half of that usage is work related stuff. When we use not to hit the cap, I used to download like crazy for the last 3 days, but I think everyone does it now, as the (unshaped) speeds across the network are rubbish on the last few days of every calendar month.

    The shaped speed I get is considerably less than 512kbits. I tested it just then at about 55 (so 64 in practice) which is pretty much unusable. It took over a minute for this page to load. As there are a few of us hooked up to the same connection, downloading at that speed makes general internet surfing and email impossible, so I refrain unless nobody else is around.

Add Comment