User Avatar Image

Penny Arcade game

posted by numble on - last edited - Viewed by 699 users

So you guys may have heard that the folks at Penny Arcade are making an episodic adventure/rpg hybrid game called Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. Another humor-focused episodic game based on the wacky antics of a pair of comic characters; maybe it'll start being churned out right after Sam and Max Season One finishes up. The trailer was released just recently:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clip-first-penny-arcade-game-footage-244698.php

Snarky part: I wonder how difficult the adventure parts of this game would be, considering how their fans view the difficulty of the Sam and Max episodes (Hint: Not the wild complaints about it being "too easy" that you may see elsewhere).

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Certifiable said: Uh...call me just a passerby with Penny Arcade, but since when have they had a detective agency, and not just been a web comic that parodies gaming?

I think that's the point - it's a new universe for the characters and they're showing it off - giving us some clues about the world.

I'm don't know for certain, but I doubt it'll be a detective agency ripoff. I suspect it'll be Lovecraftian in nature.

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

@Certifiable said: Uh...call me just a passerby with Penny Arcade, but since when have they had a detective agency, and not just been a web comic that parodies gaming?
    (Sounds like a parody-cross-ripoff of any adventure game that uses a detective agency, like Sam and Max and the Tex Murphy series.)

Since you haven't been a reader, you might not know it's not outside the nature of the comic to visit different genres from time to time.

edit: Gabe is a cardboard-tube-wielding samurai, periodically:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/search?keyword=samurai

• @Shauntron said: Since you haven't been a reader, you might not know it's not outside the nature of the comic to visit different genres from time to time.[/url]

I have been a reader, just now and then opposed to all the time.
    (Their Dead Rising spoof was fun. :D )

• What??? You're kidding, I just sent Telltale a suggestion on the survey that they should contact Penny Arcade and make an episodic game out of it! Argggg... Maybe I should've mentioned it to you guys sooner, sorry... That would've been a definate money maker... :(

Edit. Yeah, the detective agency sounds like a Sam & Max spinoff to me. Penny Arcade has never been anything about that kind of stuff before. I'd say it's a safe bet they have been watching Telltale and the success of Sam & Max Season 1 for awhile.

• There was a Penny Arcade spinoff where Tycho was some sort of hard boiled PI. It was only a couple pages long, black and white or sepia tone I think... but they abandoned it. It started with him in his detective office, solemnly loading bullets into a clip (though I think they were Nerf bullets), with a seedy monologue running along in square narration bubbles.

I don't know what happened to that project. I tried googling for it and looking through the PA news archives, but I can't remember when they were doing that, and there's little to no record of it anywhere else online.

• There's a forum Q&A going on right now for those interested.

Sam and Max related bit:

Question: You said this game was an rpg/adventure and I was wondering what the adventure elements would be like. Is it similar to the new Sam and Max games where you have an inventory and you combine and pick up objects and such?
    Answer: I really hate to compare it to other games. Those specific comparisons would not be unfair though I don't think.

• That's a silly question. It wouldn't be much of a adventure game without an inventory, haw!

• Eh, plenty of adventure games have no inventory (Loom, Myst, Samorost, etc.) and you just have to go to any game site and look at games classified as action/adventure or adventure/rpg to see that you get a lot of games that are very different from what we know as adventure games.

• I thought Samorost was a neat little game, but I haven't played Myst yet. I did briefly play Loom, but it seemed a bit bizzare. Uh, then again Samorost is pretty darn bizzare too. :p

Add Comment