User Avatar Image

Which Was Your Favourite MI Interface?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 136 users

Five different interfaces. Which one treated you the best?

Edit: This thread doesn't already exist, does it?

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • After LCR, I found the Curse interface difficult at first, but it quickly grew on me and now it is my favourite. It is definitely the quickest interface of the bunch.

BTW, recently finished LCR and SMI:SE, and currently replaying CMI and EMI simultaneously. So I really can compare them.

• It does puzzle me that the larger screens get, the less willing designers are to give up a little space to an interface. I haven't seen anything yet to match the traditional SCUMM interface (which reached its ideal form in LeChuck's Revenge and Fate of Atlantis). Tales has redeemed the keyboard control system which was Escape's real flaw, though at times it felt a bit simplistic, and I agree with the comments above about the 'combine' option seeming a bit superfluous.

I'm surprised at all the affection for the 'verb coin'. Aside from the 'pull the cork out by talking to it' type of puzzle - and I don't have much affection for a puzzle where the interface is the puzzling part - the only real difference I can see between it and Tales is that you have to click and drag rather than just click.

• I played EMI on PC with a PS2 controller and the controls were still awful. I hated how slowly Guybrush rotated to change directions, and it often didn't even the match the direction I was pressing on the analog! And good lord was having to take out an item every time annoying.

• Curse had the right amount of optional actions without going overboard.

• @avistew said: Wow, I didn't think anyone would choose it as their favourite!

Hihi, me neither. One can get used to anything, though, I guess.
    Curse was best, I think. Nice, sweet and to the point. The coin was also pleasing to they eye, in a way.

Edit: So maybe they could choose Winslow's smiling face for the next coin-sort-of interface? :D

• I am between curse and LR. I liked LR for the easy of all you can do on the screen and simpler than the SOMI. Curse was sweet and eye catching and reminded me of Full throttle :) Both LR and Curse.

• Curse had the best graphics (in my opinion and apparently the majority's) But the telltalle 3d interface is obviously better for programming and creating multiple cameras and motion, etc. I guess that the 3d interface will be getting better and better in time...

• @David Arthur said: I'm surprised at all the affection for the 'verb coin'. Aside from the 'pull the cork out by talking to it' type of puzzle - and I don't have much affection for a puzzle where the interface is the puzzling part - the only real difference I can see between it and Tales is that you have to click and drag rather than just click.

I guess this means people want more verb control, then? As for the interface being puzzling, that only applies if you presuppose that the symbols have only one meaning.

• @Nosehair said: As for the interface being puzzling, that only applies if you presuppose that the symbols have only one meaning.

Given that the abbreviation is still T for talk, and it's only used for other purposes a couple of times during a sprawling game, I don't think that's a particularly egregious assumption. The multi-function use/pick up isn't much of a problem, but the 'mouth' verb just feels like a delaying tactic.

I still miss some of the creative things that LeChuck's Revenge and Fate of Atlantis did with Push and Pull, though.

Add Comment