User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The way I saw her sentence wasn't "I knew everything back then!" but more "I knew something was up and I gave you my wedding ring to protect you".
    Not "I knew the wedding ring would allow you to become alive again" but more "as a symbol of our love, I assumed the wedding ring would protect you in some way.

You know, the whole stuff about magic and intentions and stuff, love protects you from evil, blah blah blah.
    I still didn't like her last cutscene as it felt braggy and a big lie, unless she knew everything from the start in which case she acted like a b*tch the whole season

• @John Thacker said: Maybe, but ultimately as unnecessary as an explanation of "why was Elaine able to escape from LeChuck and replace herself with three monkeys inside her wedding dress in the original game?"

I disagree. That was a gag, Morgan's death is drama. Elaine saving Guybrush through the wedding ring is drama. The difference is quite big IMHO. Applying an over-the-top comedic ellipsis to a serious plot milestone is quite risky. ;)

• No, the big difference is not gag and drama. The difference is taking it because it's just a game and being over-analytic. And you can't spell that last one without the center four letters.

• its funny how some people cry about unsolved mysteries and want it all layed out, and i still wonder what is actually the secret of monkey island. IF stuff wldnt be left open for imagiation and speculation thats what i would call a boring game. i loved the last episode story telling wise, just wasnt challenging enough, if they release a walkthrough with the game they could at least make it a bid harder.

and to the ending of it, if someone ever saw a TV series like lost or prison break or similar ones you always think the end will have the one conclusion you are waiting for , all solved and statisfying but it is usually always left open so they might have another shot with another season.

• @GaryCXJk said: No, the big difference is not gag and drama. The difference is taking it because it's just a game and being over-analytic.

I don't think I'm being "over-ANALytic" if I just try to understand what's the meaning of what I've watched. ;)

• I hate it when people say it's just a game. Would people say "You're being over-analytical, it's just a movie"? or "It's just a play?" or "It's just a novel?" It's a story and when a story isn't done well enough to sit right with the audience then it is a problem. It's not "just a game" especially where adventure games of all things are concerned. Adventure games ARE story. You can't be over-analytical any more than you can be for a story in any other form.

That being said, that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with everything said so far.

• I also dislike the "it's a game" excuse, but I think the point they're trying to make is that this is a game that's famous for using bizarre logic that generally doesn't matter if left unexplained or left for your own imagination. I mean we never get an explanation for why Guybrush is afraid of porcelain, either.

I'm not even sure what logic we're arguing about, anyway.

• That may be, but TMI was so obviously meant to have a more serious tone than some of the others in the series and when you use the term "epic" in reference to the story then you need an equally epic finale to do it justice. I too think it was rather anticlimactic. There just better be a sequel.

• I thought the final battle was pretty epic and part of the ending in and of itself, but I guess that's just me? :|

Either way, I didn't really like all the ~*~*SERIOUS~*~* moments; they just seem out of place for me. Grimdark has a habit of ruining a lot of game series, so I hope they don't take it too far next time.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I hate it when people say it's just a game. Would people say "You're being over-analytical, it's just a movie"? or "It's just a play?" or "It's just a novel?" It's a story and when a story isn't done well enough to sit right with the audience then it is a problem. It's not "just a game" especially where adventure games of all things are concerned. Adventure games ARE story. You can't be over-analytical any more than you can be for a story in any other form.

That being said, that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with everything said so far.

Actually, yeah. People are also over-analytic with movies, plays, novels, music, poems, a YouTube video of someone taking a dump, the Internet, everything.

That being said, what's not to "get" about the ending? It's all about faith and trust. That's what ToMI is all about. Faith in believing everything will be alright. Trust in your enemy, expecing that other to do what's right. Misplace trust and faith. If you're being analytic, at least do it right.

Add Comment