User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 357 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Still, I would appreciate for some stuff to be "consistent". Like if you removed the hints, not to need to remove them again at each episode.

I personally don't see a reason to remove the voodoo lady scenes or anything for it to be one single game. Just, you know, not being kicked out of the game and having to choose the next episode. Instead, once the episode is over, having a "start next episode" thing in the menu or something.

• @David Arthur said: The story is seamless, but the narrative is episodic. The games are designed to end with cliffhangers; what would be the point of hiding Morgan's face at the end of Chapter 1 if you were going to reveal it three seconds later? There's some really good structural work in this game, and I don't think that should be thrown away just to satisfy a desire for it to be something it isn't?

Chapter 1 end:
    Guybrush: But I don't even know who you are

Chapter 2 start:
    Morgan: Well let me introduce myself then....

As for hiding her face, that could be just to show her sneaking up on Guybrush, which she did anyway.

All other chapters after that end up replaying the previous scene, Chapter 3 starts off with the Chapter 2 ending and rolls right into the next scene. Chpater 3's ending has Guybrush blacking out so the start of Chapter 4 with him in the boat is good enough to be the next scene.

Again, the only one that would require work would be Chapter 4 ending and the start of Chapter 5, cutting from that ending and then going to the cards would seem a bit odd as a large amount of time has passed on in the game between those points.

edit: And I don't really like arguing on this point, since it'll never happen anyway, but I'm just pointing out that the game CAN be a Full Game, all this "but it's done as Episodes so should stay as that" is just a weak comeback as to why you wouldn't want it as a full game.

• @Ash735 said: If I have to be honest, they arn't really a part of the plot, they are more like catch up segments, which makes sense for a Monthly release, a brief catch up from the Voodoo lady reminded people what happened in the previous episode. The only time they are a part of the plot is during the Chapter 5 intro, which only features the cards and sound clips from Chapter 4.

The actual story is seamless, Chapter 1 ends with a sword at Guybrush's throat, Chapter 2 starts with that sword being pulled back as Morgan reveals herself, Chapter 2 ends with the ship being ate by the Manatee, Chapter 3 starts off by actually replaying that scene and continuing it on, Chapter 3 ends with Guybrush being knocked out, Chapter 4 starts a few hours later with Morgan rowing Guybrush back to Flotsam Island. If that could be combined into one long game it would work.

Even though it won't happen, at least having an option to skip the credits and Voodoo Lady Intro's would be nice.

Thank you for pointing me that the intro sequences recap previous events, I couldn't have figured out that myself. IMO it's not what is said in those sequences, but how it is said. These Voodoo Lady sequences gave subtle hints about the nature of her character relatively early in the game, without those scenes later "Voodoo Lady is evil" stuff would have came out of nowhere.

• I vote as a continous full game. Its very simple just remove the credits sequences of each episode with a replacement Chapter screen (no need to remove intro of each chapter) and keep murray for the final end game credits. Sorted :)

• I voted for Episodes. Exit the Game and start a new episode is not that big deal.

You all remind me of the mac-guys *whine* "i don't want to install bootcamp and windows, cause i don't wanna restart my mac, when i wanna play games originally made for PCs" *whine*

• I quite agree, I just can't see the point of glueing the episodes together (unless you're some kind of Murray-hating anti-episodic ungrateful hate monster, of couse... )
    FitzoliverJ is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Hmm, so let me (some kind of Murray-hating anti-episodic ungrateful hate monster) :p tell you something.

Putting this chapter-games into one big full-version with chapters like in the first 4 Monkey island Games would be the best thing they could do. Why not. Theres Time enough. I have no problem to wait a few months more for the dvd. There was a lot of waiting anyway. So in the end you get the perfect game.

I voted for Episodes. Exit the Game and start a new episode is not that big deal.

No. It isnt. But it kills the feeling. You feel like playing minigames, or stuff. Less epic. Thats the reason i dont download episodes. I wait for the dvds. And if they put it into "one game" its perfect for me.

I vote as a continous full game. Its very simple just remove the credits sequences of each episode with a replacement Chapter screen (no need to remove intro of each chapter) and keep murray for the final end game credits. Sorted

Yes. That would be the best thing they could do.

The story is seamless, but the narrative is episodic. The games are designed to end with cliffhangers; what would be the point of hiding Morgan's face at the end of Chapter 1 if you were going to reveal it three seconds later?

Strange argument. So i get the dvd, i will play chapter one, and after finishing i wait a few weeks to start the next one, because i dont want to reveal the secret about morgan too early? .............. No, think not. There are always cliffhangers. If i watch an episode from a tv-show, before every single commercial-break, and in former monkey island adventures before every new chapter. Who cares.

A lot of people keep saying this isn't MI5, but if it could be played seamlessly as one big game, I can't see how they can say it's not MI5.

True

• @Spooky666 said:
    No. It isnt. But it kills the feeling. You feel like playing minigames, or stuff. Less epic. Thats the reason i dont download episodes. I wait for the dvds. And if they put it into "one game" its perfect for me.

Come on, it's the same with tv-shows which have a connected plot. if you don't wanna wait one week for the next episode you have to wait for the dvd-release. So you tell me you don't watch any TV Shows on television either?

No wonder so much good tv-shows get cancelled after one or two seasons, lol...

• @Cyphox said: Come on, it's the same with tv-shows which have a connected plot. if you don't wanna wait one week for the next episode you have to wait for the dvd-release. So you tell me you don't watch any TV Shows on television either?

TV shows are very different though, it's a shame because Tales of Monkey Island could of been an epic game as all one story, if it was all combined it could of been one of the longer Monkey Island games too.

• Come on, it's the same with tv-shows which have a connected plot. if you don't wanna wait one week for the next episode you have to wait for the dvd-release. So you tell me you don't watch any TV Shows on television either?

Cant compare it. Were not talking about a television Show.

TV shows are very different though, it's a shame because Tales of Monkey Island could of been an epic game as all one story, if it was all combined it could of been one of the longer Monkey Island games too.

Exactly. It would make the whole Monkey Island Experience better.

So you tell me you don't watch any TV Shows on television either?

The X Files and Star Trek were the last good television shows, anyway. :-) However, a Television Show is made for an episodic experience. You know what you get. But not the same with Videogames. For me the episode is one Game. Secret of Monkey Island is an Episode. Le Chucks Revenge is the next episode. But not 2-3 hour Epissodes which could work as one game. The Fans of the old MI Games never had the chance, to decide if they want episodes. But everyone had the chance to download episodes. So give the fans the chance to buy a full game, too.

• @Spooky666 said: The X Files and Star Trek were the last good television shows, anyway. :-) However, a Television Show is made for an episodic experience. You know what you get. But not the same with Videogames. For me the episode is one Game. Secret of Monkey Island is an Episode. Le Chucks Revenge is the next episode. But not 2-3 hour Epissodes which could work as one game. The Fans of the old MI Games never had the chance, to decide if they want episodes. But everyone had the chance to download episodes. So give the fans the chance to buy a full game, too.

What's the big deal? As far as I am concerned I have already completed the full game. I had never played episodic game before TOMI and I was highly sceptical, but it convinced me so much that I bought both seasons of Sam & Max too. Intro and credit sequences between episodes and manually selecting next episode from menu are minor issues and I much rather see bugs fixed. Also intro cutscenes are something which I don't want to see removed, because I don't want to have DVD version with lesser content than downloadable version?

Add Comment