User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Here's a question for your analysis: Can something truly be over-analyzed, or only incorrectly analyzed?

You can probably tell what I think by the framing of the question, but I swear it's not rhetorical!

• I think you can over-analyse if you analyse so much that you don't enjoy whatever you're analysing as much anymore.

• Last episode was a disappointment overall. It tried to tie everything together in too short a time (the last few minutes).

I think S&M Season II did it a lot better. Everything is tied together so neatly in the last episode (for instance, I laughed when they used the sleigh to get out of the pit of Hell, the scene was the same as in Ep.1, it was pure genius). I don't know, I think TOMI was great, but TTG really did it better with S&M.

• It tried to tie everything together in too short a time (the last few minutes).

Hmm, reminds me of the last ten minutes of Revenge of the Sith. You know, where Georgie was all like, "Oh shit, that's right! These are prequels to those movies I made twenty five years ago! Okay, let's see...AMIDALA: 'You're Luke, you're Leia, and I'm dead.' Yoda, you're all bummed about losing the war, so you're going into swampy exile, where your age will suddenly catch up to you and you'll never again put your outrageously dextrous lightsaber skills on display. Anakin, you've been mortally wounded, thus the creepy helmet that will make you sound like a distinguished black man for the rest of your life, and the switch-and-light covered chest panel that presumably regulates your midichlorians or something. Okay, so far, so good. Oh shit, the empire! Cue the 70's era spaceship and costume designs that are woefully incongruous with the glossy aesthetic I've created in my last three films, and I think we're done!

• The finale was ok, but yeah, there were plotholes. Not as many plotholes as Bloody Eugene makes it out to be (you're lagging severly- most people can answer a few of your questions at least).

• An ending is an unplayable epilogue. Not a playable boss battle. Heck no.

And I never said I didn't "get" anything about the ending. It just wasn't long or satisfying enough. That said, I enjoyed it and am not disappointed with the season overall.

• For me RotPG undid everything that T&E did.

T&E suggested that Elaine loved Guybrush. Guybrush wasn't at LeChuck's level of obsession with Elaine. And LeChuck was dangerous, amd Elaine hated him with a passion.

In RotPG, about all that remained was LeChuck is dangerous. Elaine's act of agreeing to become a demon bride seemed more calculated than desperate. Guybrush was at LeChuck's level of obsession, and suggested the only reason Elaine was with Guybrush rather than LeChuck was because Guybrush was easier to manipulate. Elaine's certainty at the end I really hated, rather than a subtle pleading and thankfulness which would have worked better.

While Morgan had her eye on the main chance she did seem until the ending to actually care for Guybrush. I can only think of one reason for that ending. It had to be tagged on to suggest The Voodoo Lady and Morgan were worse than Elaine. I'm not saying they're not but in the end both have been more or less honest with Guybrush. Elaine seems to track to the less honest most of the time.

In one of my earlier posts. I stated I didn't mind whether Guybrush ended up with Morgan, Elaine or neither as long as Guybrush won. To me he seemed to lose and lose badly. (And I leant to Elaine through the first three episodes - mostly because that's who Guybrush wanted. And the fourth I was so happy with)

• Wait, so was Elaine's reaction really that subtle, or do some people just don't get it?

She doesn't just let herself willingly be a demon bride. If you really remember correctly, you would notice that the moment LeChuck mentions that regular mortals are unable to wield the cutlass the camera switches to Elaine, with a sort of surprised, shocked and a "holy crap, I have an idea" expression.

Seriously, it's no rocket science, and if even a socially inept person like me who normally can't figure out what others are feeling can figure that out, you should too. Read body language.

• @dahoughtonuk said: For me RotPG undid everything that T&E did.

T&E suggested that Elaine loved Guybrush. etc. etc.

*sigh*

@dahoughtonuk said: An ending is an unplayable epilogue. Not a playable boss battle. Heck no.

Then you and I are not seeing this game the same way, I'm afraid. Why would it matter if it's interactive or not? A final battle is still part of an ending.

• @GaryCXJk said: She doesn't just let herself willingly be a demon bride. If you really remember correctly, you would notice that the moment LeChuck mentions that regular mortals are unable to wield the cutlass the camera switches to Elaine, with a sort of surprised, shocked and a "holy crap, I have an idea" expression.

Agreed. That's the only thing I had no problem with. It's clearly a brave "on-the-fly" decision, I really liked it. It's very welll explained in close-ups and Elaine's expressions. No problem in THAT scene. The problem is with her overall "I'll unmask the Voodoo Lady plan to Guybrush" plan, as I've already explained. ;)

Add Comment