User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I disagree with GaryCXJk. He says it like noone was able to get the emotional message. Well, I sure got it, everyone got it. It's not rocket science, but I'd like to get my message supplied with more emotionally consistent and realistic-for-a-human example. The plot had so much potential acquiring this, but they rather wanted to go with "Elaine is S-M-R-T!!!1", so... meh.

• Realism in Monkey Island? HA! HA! HA!

But anyway, "Elaine is smart" is kind of an obvious statement and it wasn't really THAT focused on in the game, just a little last-minute reminder that she's not to be underestimated by her audience. The ring had a better meaning behind it than that.

• @PecanBlue said: Realism in Monkey Island? HA! HA! HA!

I tried to add the "-for-a-human" part to avoid such a reply but... What can you do, huh?

What I tried to say there was, although the story is set in an imaginary world with its own rules, the humans and their emotions should be reminiscent to how we are, in real, you know. By this we can form a strong empathy with the characters.

I really, couldn't form anything with Elaine in that matter. She was just... cold. It's not like the all game is like that, though, Morgan had her own dilemmas and doubts. But Elaine, well, weird to see how a newcomer can leave a bigger bomb than a reccurring (actually, a MAIN) character of the franchise.

@PecanBlue said: But anyway, "Elaine is smart" is kind of an obvious statement and it wasn't really THAT focused on in the game, just a little last-minute reminder that she's not to be underestimated by her audience. The ring had a better meaning behind it than that.

I... like her more when she's kicking butt with her sword. Not when she makes so indirective plans.

• I'm sorry but I disagree with you. Chapter 5 insinuates she is anything but cold, and I still can't see where people are pulling the "gosh she is so CRUEL AND UNCARING" shtick from. I also saw plenty of human-like emotion too, so I don't really know where you're coming from here.

I'm not sure I understand why someone "making plans" makes them unlikeable. Her personality makes her seem like an orderly person, so I can see where it would make sense that she likes to plan ahead. It kind of seemed like homage to her independent behavior from Secret of Monkey Island too. Her improvisation with the cutlass is plenty understandable. Would it make any sense for Elaine to just sit back and watch Guybrush deal with all the trouble without her help? No.

There was plenty of sword fighting from her right there at the end too, so...

• It was a bit anticlimactic, wasn't it?

• @PecanBlue said: I'm sorry but I disagree with you. Chapter 5 insinuates she is anything but cold, and I still can't see where people are pulling the "gosh she is so CRUEL AND UNCARING" shtick from. I also saw plenty of human-like emotion too, so I don't really know where you're coming from here.

I'm not sure I understand why someone "making plans" makes them unlikeable. Her personality makes her seem like an orderly person, so I can see where it would make sense that she likes to plan ahead. It kind of seemed like homage to her independent behavior from Secret of Monkey Island too. Her improvisation with the cutlass is plenty understandable. Would it make any sense for Elaine to just sit back and watch Guybrush deal with all the trouble without her help? No.

There was plenty of sword fighting from her right there at the end too, so...

To put it out shortly, her plan involves her being the eternal, brain-washed super-powerful wife of his husband's nemesis in the sight of his husband's ghost. Yet she made such a decision after making a slight voice of "hmm"... It wasn't that apparent what would happen next. After this point, everything she could have thought of only can be speculations. There are lots of possibilities, considering she doesn't know how being a ghost and tearing down the crossroads to save your significant other is. That kind of a plan could only be something usable in the worst case scenario, and Elaine DID use it in the worst case, but, with just a "hmm". That's just cold.

Again. There are plans, and there are desperate plans that you can't just "hmm" when you use them. I'm not against that kind of a plan she came up with, the situation itself was really desperate up to that point. I wanted to see some emotion, you know, a whisper of "sorry Guybrush". Also the ending sequence. I wanted to see a "glad you're back *sniff*", not a "oh, you're there finally, oh well". He. Cheated. The goddamn. DEATH. "I was expecting you" just doesn't work.

In all the episodes this is the one where Elaine herself (not her poxed self) gets the most screentime and chances of changing the plot, and this is where I didn't like her lines and doings the most, so her awesome fight with Morgan can't quite make it up.

@PecanBlue said: It was a bit anticlimactic, wasn't it?

Yeah, some sorta I guess.

• ^
    I think you're looking a little too far into things. The "hmm" is a gentle nod toward the audience so you know Elaine has something up her sleeve, not really anything aimed toward anyone but her own thoughts. The game kind of makes it clear her plan involved trusting in Guybrush to bring her back, so you see what kind of powerful teamwork they've developed. (Though for some reason Guybrush can't see his own wife is acting until Morgan points it out??)

There is actually a lot of emotion from her, and I don't know how you're not catching it. What happened to the whole "I love you" line? There WAS an "I'm sorry" before the whole demon bride thing. Did episode 4's ending mean nothing? And did you catch her desperate tone when Guybrush fails to do something about LeChuck in the spirit world around three times? There's a whole lot of them during the fight scene in general.

Why she wasn't tearful in the ending is because for some reason the game tries to use this bizarro logic that Elaine just somehow knew he would come back and then being all confident about it. (Winslow too, apparently) I don't really get it either, but I just blame the writing for not really explaining it properly, not Elaine who's just the actress for it.

The one thing I will agree with you is that she gets little screen time in comparison to Morgan. For lots of reasons, it was annoying, but I'll spare you.

• I never cared too much for Elaine. She's always struck me as one of the less interesting characters in the entire franchise. In fact, I would say that one of the many things that Tales did well was make me like Elaine (albeit only for one episode. She was hysterical with the pox in "Trial and Execution.)

I didn't like the whole "It was all my plan!" aspect of the ending, because it seemed to suggest to me that she had actually planned on Guybrush dying (hence the giving him the ring) which is kind of messed up, it undermines all of Guybrush's hard work (she's off screen for most of the game then all of a sudden she's the one that made it possible for good to triumph in the end? I have no qualms with her kicking ghost pirate butt, but giving her credit for the whole season peeves me slightly.) Finally, it seemed like she wanted to cut the Voodoo Lady's string off of Guybrush, but really she's almost as manipulative...

• @Voodoomaster said: ...should have some doubt about it, not simply ending the game with himself asking "WHAT WAS THE PRONOUNCE OF ESPONJA"???

I found that ending quite funny because every time I heard "La Esponja Grande" it sounded a bit funny to me because I'm a native Spanish speaker. So I felt it as a joke directed to myself.

• @LowMoralFiber said: I didn't like the whole "It was all my plan!" aspect of the ending, because it seemed to suggest to me that she had actually planned on Guybrush dying

No. Otherwise, the ending of the 4th episode wouldn't make any sense at all. She never even said "everything that happened was part of a plan!" She just suggested a few things were planned, like getting captured in the beginning, and turning into a demon. The ring has been suggested to be gut instinct and not really part of some careful plotting.

Add Comment