User Avatar Image

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

posted by Eduardo on - last edited - Viewed by 619 users

So, while I am waiting for my copy of this book to arrive (move faster, Amazon) , I was wondering how many people have read this, the original inspiration of Monkey Island according to Ron Gilbert (and also mentioned as an inspiration for the upcoming Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island)...

Have you read it? Did you enjoy it?

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • After Pirates 4 comes out im sure it will be easy to find.... I own an old copy of OST and I love it dearly and have read it about three times.

As for Pirate Latitudes I have not finished it but I enjoy it so far... but I do agree it probably was not a final draft... seeing as how it was found on his computer after his death.

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

@sladerlmc77 said: So...sorry for the threadjack...but for those looking for additional GOOD pirate literature, you can't go wrong with either On Stranger Tides or Flint and Silver. If it were me, I'd leave Pirate Latitudes on the shelf.

Interesting stuff. I also read Treasure Island at least once a year, but I never really bothered with all the sequels and prequels. I'll give Flint and Silver a shot, thanks for the suggestion!

• You bet! If you find you like Flint and Silver, I'd also recommend "Silver: A Tale as Written by Me with a Goodly amount of Murder", by Ed Chupack.

It's an "alternate universe" story, and not a retelling of Treasure Island - but if you want to hear Long John raging and yarning his way through a fairly good tale (though perhaps one that goes on a bit too long), it's another favorite.

Lorn

• I read On Stranger Tides back when I read about it on Ron Gilbert's blog. Great book!

The next PotC movie On Stranger Tides isn't directly based off the book, but they did option it for the title and similar plot elements. Good for Powers, I'm sure he got a nice chunk of change, but it sucks because it pretty much means we'll never get an actual OST movie.

• i cant believe the new Pirates of the Carribean movie is subtitled "on Stranger tides" but it does mention on IMDB that its based off the novel of Tim Powers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/

i wonder how it will turn out

• @Wolfstar27 said: i cant believe the new Pirates of the Carribean movie is subtitled "on Stranger tides" but it does mention on IMDB that its based off the novel of Tim Powers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/

i wonder how it will turn out

Aye, Powers sold the film rights to Disney back in September. I can't see it being a faithful adaptation, the characters of Pirates of the Caribbean don't fit into the characters in the book very well. Jack Sparrow =/= Jack Shandy, Barbossa =/= Blackbeard. I have no doubt it will still be an amusing romp in any event.

• Now that I think about it I bet after Pirates 4 comes out the original novel will be even harder to find... considering every search you do for it will come up as Pirates 4....

I'm glad I got my copy for $0.25 a couple of years ago.

• @S@bre said: Aye, Powers sold the film rights to Disney back in September. I can't see it being a faithful adaptation, the characters of Pirates of the Caribbean don't fit into the characters in the book very well. Jack Sparrow =/= Jack Shandy, Barbossa =/= Blackbeard.

I disagree, but only so long as the film makers have a good long think about the book. My suggestion in an earlier thread was that

Blackbeard will become Barbosa and Jack Sparrow's role will be carved out of Phil Davies and Skank. If, as I think people have assumed, Jack Shandy were to be replaced with Jack Sparrow you'd end up with a such a different story (since Sparrow's motiviations are hardly going to be the same as Shandy's) that it wouldnt have been worth laying out cash for the rights

(Incidentally, "Pirate Latitudes" was clearly not a final draft. I'm not even sure that it was *intended* as a novel, as I read it I got the strong impression that Crichton was planning the story for use in a movie not as a book, but that he was prose-ing it out prior to working out his script)

• I want this book... Hmmm.... To the bookstore! Err... Tomorrow.

• I actually liked Pirate Latitudes a bunch definitely not his best work but certainly not a bad book at all. It had booze, Pirates, gore, explosions, nudity, murder and mayhem what more could you want in a pirate book?

I am currently re-reading On Stranger Tides for about the 5th time.

Add Comment