User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've tried to stay away from these forums lately because I've been busy & just didn't have the time to play the last episode. I found the time to finish the last episode now & I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed how it all ended.

Chapters 1-3 were excellent & I was really excited & happy about how the series was playing out. But it all started to fall apart for me from chapter 4 onwards. I was looking forward to the night time episode of chapter 4 a lot. I was hoping to get that lonely, night time ambience from the episode that I got from Melee Island when I first played MI1. But that didn't happen. Perhaps because in MI1 it starts off at night & you spend a lot of time there & then you are rewarded with the sun scorched Journey & Under Monkey Island once you leave Melee. But a lot of it was to do with the illogical & annoying puzzles in Ch4 & what I thought was a rather boring story. Ch4 was awful for me. Really let me down & I didn't like it at all. :( Sorry.

That's enough about Ch4, I didn't mean to say that much about it, but I wanted to give my opinion on the end of the season as well as the last chapter.

The final chapter also had some illogical puzzles & seemed forced at times, but I did really enjoy it. The parts where you moved inbetween the rips & had to be ghost Guybrush or zombie Guybrush, depending on what you needed to accomplish, puzzle wise, were excellent. The final battle on LeChucks ship was epic as well & was an excellent nod to the old games in how the final puzzles played out. Then came the end... Massively disappointed I'm afraid. The good feeling I had about the chapter were completely undone in just a few seconds with that ending. It seemed rushed & I think it's apt that some have mentioned Lost. Because it felt just like that. Like even TT didn't know how it was going to end & they were making it up as they went, then they tried to wrap it all up at the end in an explanation that was the best they could manage.

To summarise, my final feelings on the series have been somewhat of disappointment. Mainly due to my dislike of Ch4, the ending of Ch5, Elaine's poor characterisation throughout (she went backwards & forwards like a yo-yo & I just couldn't get a grip on her character) & how buggy the entire series was (possibly due to it being episodic). I'm undecided whether I'd like to see a second season at this point.

PS. Does anyone know who the writers were for each episode? I'd be interested to know who wrote my favourite chapters & who wrote the ones I wasn't too keen on.

EDIT: I've just re-read my post & it comes across as a little ungrateful to TTG. I want to point out (to TT mainly & everyone involved in the game) that I am grateful they resurrected the MI series & I appreciate all the hard work they've put in throughout the season. Despite my gripes & feelings towards the end, a lot of the puzzles have been some of the best & cleverest the MI series have ever seen. For an episodic, 3D, keyboard controlled, MI game, you did a great job. It just wasn't perfect & that's just not good enough for a crazed, frothing at the mouth, MI fan like me! :p

• Here's something none of you seem to have taken into acount...

The games all have a very central concept of VooDoo. In VooDoo, everything is predetermined, you cannot easily change your fate or hte fate of others. It is one of the strongest beliefs in voodoo - that hte spirits cocntrol everyone' destany.

Also, did nobody consider elane's "I always had a plan" just a smartalec comment to save face? a much more serios version of when a person screws up and then say "uhhh.... I um.... I meant for that to happen! yeah... heh...."

• But it wasn't "I always HAD a plan" it's "I always have a plan." Meaning she always has a plan in bad situations not that she was planning everything from the start.

• @LowMoralFiber said: she's off screen for most of the game then all of a sudden she's the one that made it possible for good to triumph in the end?

Remember "Secret of Monkey Island"? Almost everything Guybrush does in that game amounts to nothing. She saved herself and provided her own root beer. The only thing Guybrush contributes is killing LeChuck with a different root beer bottle he finds, and that's only AFTER he ruins Elaine's plan.

The Elaine character was originally playing a different, off-screen version of the same adventure game that Guybrush was, and she was better at it. This felt like a throwback to that.

• @PecanBlue said: But it wasn't "I always HAD a plan" it's "I always have a plan." Meaning she always has a plan in bad situations not that she was planning everything from the start.

She DOES tell she's planned everything from the start. Remember the line I quoted some posts ago ("I LET you capture me and I PLAYED ALONG with your stupid nice guy act because I thought it would get Guybrush to realize that the Voodoo Lady-")? The "I always have a plan" line isn't the one which made me cringe. ;)

@PecanBlue said: The Elaine character was originally playing a different, off-screen version of the same adventure game that Guybrush was, and she was better at it. This felt like a throwback to that.

It did not feel like that to me! True, in MI1 she had been playing the same adventure Guybrush was, but she didn't even think that Guybrush was trying to save her. She was helping herself. On the contrary, in ToMI Elaine and Guybrush are in the same adventure TOGETHER, so there's no reason for her not to share with Guy importants clues.
    Or... if there's a reason... there's no reason we shouldn't know this reason! :p :D

• @Diduz said: She DOES tell she's planned everything from the start. Remember the line I quoted some posts ago ("I LET you capture me and I PLAYED ALONG with your stupid nice guy act because I thought it would get Guybrush to realize that the Voodoo Lady-")?

That doesn't exactly mean everything that happened with the crossroads was part of a grand plan, she just says she was playing along at the beginning pre-pox. And we find out later that she was charmed during the whole nice guy ordeal anyway, so there was no real way she was playing along consciously.

• @PecanBlue said: That doesn't exactly mean everything that happened with the crossroads was part of a grand plan, she just says she was playing along at the beginning pre-pox. And we find out later that she was charmed during the whole nice guy ordeal anyway, so there was no real way she was playing along consciously.

she could be lieing just to make LeChuck think he didnt trick her just to keep her pride

• Yes, I also mentioned that a few pages back as one of the possibilities. Lots of mysteries in this game anyway.

• This whole thread feels as ridiculous as this.

• ^
    Oh no! Not completely valid goofs!

Add Comment