User Avatar Image

Did anyone else notice...

posted by Ashton on - last edited - Viewed by 370 users

Did anyone else notice that a lot of the voodoo (well the serious parts) was REAL VooDoo?? I was a little suprised and a little concerned when I saw that TTG (and presumable LA - not played those games but I asume they're the same) were both invoking real VooDoo...

Did anyone else notice this? Or am I the only one that researches odd and irrelevant forms of magic?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Because he/she was raised to believe it's evil.

• @Thriftweed Fancy Pants said: Because he/she was raised to believe it's evil.

Not so much raised, but that's how it's been portrayed in pop culture, as either evil or taboo. (again this might just be that I've been looking in all the wrong places)

• I do not believe in Voodoo magic so I guess to be concerned that its in movies/games makes no sense to me.... Its like being concerned that they talk about Greek, or Norse Gods...

• @Irishmile said: I do not believe in Voodoo magic so I guess to be concerned that its in movies/games makes no sense to me.... Its like being concerned that they talk about Greek, or Norse Gods...

Zeus would kick your ass if he saw that

• I'm pretty sure voodoo is positive, only most people think of it as negative because they don't know much about it.

• @Sailorcuteness said: Zeus would kick your ass if he saw that

I will be more cautious when walking to my car :p

• @Lennie Melvin said: I'm pretty sure voodoo is positive, only most people think of it as negative because they don't know much about it.

Oh, it's a very "good" religion (though it has it's dark sides just like all religions) media just likes to focus on the minor negative possibilities it creates. In retrospect, I'm glad TTG used voodoo and showed some 'good voodoo' instead of using it as a plot-device soely for a villian!

• How often is Voodoo portrayed nowadays, period? I mean, if you think about it, the Voodoo concept that has been the most acclimated to mainstream entertainment is the zombie, and even then the modern "Hollywood" zombie's connection to Voodoo is tenuous at best, if mentioned at all. Heck, modern zombies barely act like traditional zombies; they're more like pre-Bram Stoker vampires on steroids (or pre-Carmilla vampires or whoever is supposed to have invented the modern Vampire genre).

• @Lena_P said: and even then the modern "Hollywood" zombie's connection to Voodoo is tenuous at best, if mentioned at all

Acctually I've noticed that most hollywood Zombies nowadays are the product of a Virus of some sort, rather than a voodoo ritual... (RE, anyone?)

I used to see a lot more of the "voodoo witchdoctor" being a villian (or atleast an obstacle for the hero, a hireling of the villian, or atleast doing work for hte villian such as making potions, hexes, or voodoo dolls) and of course it used to be very popular if lighter series for voodoo dolls to be used to harass/hurt/control people (usually making them punch themselves, walk somewhere, or stick pins in their... er... behind) When I take the time to think about it, voodoo seems to have lost it's media glamor... It's great to see a hero using voodoo for a change (here in ToMI) and I'd love to see it more often in other games/movies/books/tv/etc

• @Ashton said: REAL VooDoo??

I laughed so hard at that
    I'm still laughing

Add Comment