User Avatar Image

Monkey Island or Bust!

posted by webman3802 on - last edited - Viewed by 322 users

Is anyone else disappointed that in TMI, we never actually WENT to Monkey Island? Other than that, it's one of my favorite games in the series.

(And yes, I know in "LeChuck's Revenge", we didn't technically go to MI, but Dinky Island was connected to MI by the tunnels, so it's pretty close.)

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, I feel that TOMI didn't need Monkey Island, but I would love to see the island in any future games.

And saying that the island is empty/overdone/whatever is pointless. It's Monkey Island. ANYTHING is possible.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

@adventureaddict said: Yeah, I feel that TOMI didn't need Monkey Island, but I would love to see the island in any future games.

And saying that the island is empty/overdone/whatever is pointless. It's Monkey Island. ANYTHING is possible.

Including, but not limited to:
    -Vanished
    -Destroyed
    -Nothing at all
    (I vote: Nothing at all, I prefer NEW things, there's enough fan service in ToMI already)

But in gaming anything can happen like
    -A Recap/Flashback (to show some important plot point)
    -Going back in time (through Voodoo, not a DeLorean!)
    -A Reset of sorts (like: "somehow the island begins to recover", "a mysterious emanation of mystical voodoo restored the island to it's former glory")

Here's a thought: Maybe a puzzle requires Guybrush to get back to the island and, do something (in the past) the allows SoMI or another game to happen (like putting an item or maybe triggering an event)

• @webman3802 said: Is anyone else disappointed that in TMI, we never actually WENT to Monkey Island? Other than that, it's one of my favorite games in the series.

(And yes, I know in "LeChuck's Revenge", we didn't technically go to MI, but Dinky Island was connected to MI by the tunnels, so it's pretty close.)

Technically, by music and construction, the Crossroads have some sort of relation to the Dinky Island tunnels. The music in the Crossroads is very VERY eerily similar to the music in the Dinky Island tunnels. Probably a coincidence, but I think they're connected.

• I'd be perfectly happy to never go to Monkey Island again in future games. I mean, if it winds up growing organically into the plot, fine. But there's no need to try to shoehorn it into the plot just for the sake of having it. MI2 didn't need it (the Dinky Island = sub-island of Monkey Island was a retcon) and neither did ToMI.

• @jmm said:
    Here's a thought: Maybe a puzzle requires Guybrush to get back to the island and, do something (in the past) the allows SoMI or another game to happen (like putting an item or maybe triggering an event)

I would love this. Time travelly stuff like this is awesome.

• Why does it even matter if you're on Monkey Island or not? It wasn't in MI2 (until CMI), it was only in CMI in an incredibly restricted and short section of the game, and if they hadn't said it was Monkey Island no one would have assumed that it was, and it felt forced and pointless in EMI.

• Couldn't care less.

Think up the chest in Chapter 5 is located on Monkey Island if you crave for MI to be in the game. No-one ever told you otherwise... DONE!
    Did it make you like the game so so SO much more now you know where that was? :p

• @Hassat Hunter said: Couldn't care less.

Think up the chest in Chapter 5 is located on Monkey Island if you crave for MI to be in the game. No-one ever told you otherwise... DONE!
    Did it make you like the game so so SO much more now you know where that was? :p

Heh ... great idea! I'd just assumed that screen was somewhere on Flotsam Island, but hey -- Monkey Island works, too! :p

• SMI: Monkey Island was amusing place with interesting puzzles and characters.

LCR: Like others said, Monkey Island was retconned to the game in CMI. Dinky Island and the tunnels had different feel than the Monkey Island of the first game.

CMI: The Carnival of the Damned was worst part of the game. Other islands were a lot more amusing.

EMI: Monkey Island was relatively all right (except that Monkey Kombat stuff and giant robot), but less amusing than in the first game.

I don't miss Monkey Island, although if they can come up with something which fits to plot, then I have nothing against visiting there. But the proble is that Herman and the Cannibals are gone (and so are the monkeys, which is actually a good thing. Because I don't want to see more Monkey Kombat). Rasputin (who was kind of amusing) may still be there. So we have empty village, empty hermit's shed and hole on the ground where giant monkey head used to be. That doesn't sound very amusing.

• @Olaus Petrus said: So we have empty village, empty hermit's shed and hole on the ground where giant monkey head used to be. That doesn't sound very amusing.

OMG! stop saying that. I have to double this comment.
    @Olaus Petrus said:

Add Comment