User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island DVD release - episodic vs monkey island 5 full game Poll

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 360 users

Just curious who wants to see tales of monkey island blended into one full game for the hard copy and who don't. :cool:

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The next chapter is just a click away, true. So essentially it's no really that big a deal. But I played Sam&Max season 2 from the dvd and while that game isn't really a continuous story, returning to the menu takes you out of the game no matter how you look at it.

I agree it must be a tremendous task to make one single executable containing all five chapters, and even if a similar effect can be achieved in the global Windows environment by keeping the five separate programs intact but with a launcher containing automatic links from one program to the next, I don't want to force anyone to spend long hours creating such a device, and if it still really is such an gargantuan task I'd rather they'd let it be and focus on the next installment of my favorite game series.

• I know squat about programming and game design, but I do know a thing or two about tv, film, and music production. In TV especially, once the final cut and uprez is done, the raw footage and audio is chucked so it's next to impossible to alter it. This is why I'm saying that if you guys really want this, keep voicing it to Telltale and maybe they'll be able to implement it from the start on a future project. Just don't expect them to retroactively hack it into a finished product.

• Aren't there like 5 cuts of Blade Runner? Same with the LOTR-series?

I also know the DVD-versions of Stargate are modified (intercut gone, interlaced music instead of commercial breaks and even extended versions on the last Atlantis DVD). Maybe it isn't so uncommon for films and movies as you think?

• Stargate is a TV-series. The DVD-versions of the episodes are different than the TV (no intercuts, music changed to reflect no commercial time etc).

They are also planning to re-release the pilot as a movie... altered somewhat though.

So, not that improbable for TV either.

• @Juicius Maximus said: I know squat about programming and game design, but I do know a thing or two about tv, film, and music production. In TV especially, once the final cut and uprez is done, the raw footage and audio is chucked so it's next to impossible to alter it.

I've never heard of any company throwing something away it spent money to produce.

• By the results of the poll I think that Telltale should definitely consider to actually release it as a full game, even if it takes some work

• Okay, I explained myself poorly. My bad. What I meant to say is that a post house that edits a TV show doesn't hang on to the resources afterward, but the studio or network does. And what I meant to imply by that is that it's probably much harder in game programming to "re-cut" something. I don't really know, but I'm taking Telltale's word for it. Having said that, maybe they work on this feature in future seasons.

• I would even be willing to pay more than just shipping costs for the DVD if TTG made this happen (am I the only one?).

I would even pay for the ships fuel, if it gets me that. ^^

Serieously. If i had to wait longer for it, and to pay a few euros more, it would be worth it.

I have to admit, I have no idea about programming. But how do they do it with games like "Fallout 3" for example, where you can buy an extended version with additional quests, built in the main game? Maybe some other kind of thing, but seems to be work, too.

• This is an awesome idea, and it's been considered around the office but at this time it doesn't seem plausible for a DVD release. It's a lot more work than just wiring games together, as far as I've heard, so it does not seem like it will make an appearance on the Tales DVD.
    We've never had such a seamless story in a season before, so now that the precedent has been set and the seed planted, we entertain the notion of combining episodes the future, with proper preparation of course. However, we don't seem to be ready to do it right now. It's good to know that so many people are interested in seeing it happen!

Add Comment