User Avatar Image

How Old Is Sam and Max?

posted by War Wolves on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I know theyve been out for 20-21 years, but how old are the characters???

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think this has been brought up before. They probably have no set age. They're as old or as young as you need them to be for a particular story. Someone suggested also that they are as old as whoever is writing about them.

• The only thing we know for sure is they are roughtly equally old. I imagine them in their early 30's though.

• Whenever this argument pops out, I remind myself the little info about the estimated lifetime of a rabbit-y thing that Max blabbers about when Sam and Max are in the museum of Largest Ball of Twine, in Hit the Road. Makes me kinda sad.

• I view them as always being in their 30s, from the late 80s comics up to Season 2.

I judged that little Sam and Max were about twelve in Chariots of the Dogs. That would make them about forty in 2008, but they were buried alive for some time in The Big Sleep, so maybe 32?

And in the comics they're reading yearbooks marked 1977 and 1976, implying that they graduated from high school at around those years, putting them in their late 20s/early 30s for the comics.

• If you take a look at the last page of the "The Big Sleep" webcomic, Sam mentions that his homecoming dance was in '93. Assuming that he was 14 then, he would be 31 in 2010. And since his birthday's in March according to Chariots, he'd still be 30 right now.

Of course, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

• @Shwoo said: I view them as always being in their 30s, from the late 80s comics up to Season 2.

I judged that little Sam and Max were about twelve in Chariots of the Dogs. That would make them about forty in 2008, but they were buried alive for some time in The Big Sleep, so maybe 32?

And in the comics they're reading yearbooks marked 1977 and 1976, implying that they graduated from high school at around those years, putting them in their late 20s/early 30s for the comics.

Reading this made me wonder: what if there are somehow two separate time lines for the comic and the episodic games? If they graduated from high school in the late 70s, then it wouldn't make sense for them to be middle school aged in 1980 as seen in "Chariot of the Dogs". Parallel universe/different canons perhaps? Or maybe something peculiar happened in "Chariot of the Dogs" that created a whole separate timeline in which they were born earlier as a result of a ripple effect of constant time traveling in the episode?

Or maybe I should just stop pondering such things and continue to see them as in their 30s as I have been doing for as long as I've been playing the games and reading the comic :p

• @Emily said: As old as The Simpsons. :D

The simpsons have set ages... and by set I mean "set in stone" where they'll never go past them... but that doesnt stop them from celebrating their birthdays... strange...

I think the ocncensus was S+M are in their early 30s in the last 2 threads

• I guess the only person who could give a definitive answer is Steve Purcell.

But yeah, like someone said earlier, they're comic book/video game characters. They probably don't have a set age and are as old as a story needs them to be.

Add Comment