User Avatar Image

A question about US News coverage

posted by JedExodus on - last edited - Viewed by 822 users

Everyone knows Fox News is jaded towards a right-wing stance. but the little i've seen of American news is always biased to either a left-wing or right-wing position.

Is there any major news source in the states that totally isn't jaded one way or the other? We have the same deal over here (and everywhere else) but it's never ever as blatant as in the states (apart from in the tabloids)

The reason I ask is because I hate being told what I should think, I just want facts, I don't want an anchor spouting rhetoric at me. it all just seems a bit...sinister

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • While far from "major" in any way, you may be interested in The Real News. They don't run ads or take subsidies because they don't want to be in anyone's pocket. And unlike your average news site they're all video and have professional journalists (it was started by journalists fed up with the usual media biases), many local correspondents, fairly in-depth interviews and big ambitions.
    I won't say they're always neutral or correct, but they are independent, know their stuff and show you things you won't often get in regular media. And with pretty good production values.

• Checked it out, there's definitely a left-wing tilt to it, but the quality of journalism is far higher than the mainstream stuff I usually see from the states

• I find the News Hour on PBS to be pretty good. It is definitely produced for an older audience, but it isn't bad. Plus, since it is on PBS, no commercials once they actually start the news. One of their regular features is a discussion between the Host (Jim Lehrer) and two newspaper columnists. It is usually Mark Shields (a left-leaning writer) and David Brooks (a very conservative writer). They usually are on to comment on political things.

They recently started some sort of makeover to the show, but I haven't watched in the last month or so, so I am not sure what is different.

• Cable news tends to be biased one way or the other, but not the regular broadcast networks. (In my opinion, anyway - but maybe it's hard for me to tell since I tend to agree with the more left-wing reporting. ;)) But they still don't always report on the stuff I wish they'd report on...

• Fox News's Rupert Murdoch looks at news as a business. He and almost everyone else on that channel probably don't believe half the stuff they broadcast. For example: Fox is very liberal in China, which helps serve their financial interests (though a Chinese liberal might have the same view point that Glenn Beck pretends to have, for all I know).

In general, though, there's very few non-partisan broadcasters. Even outside of politics, there's just way too much money to be made by being sensational. This is why, in all the fervour about Michael Jackson being dead or Angelina Jolie being pregnant, there's just no room to broadcast about important things, like this poor woman**, or the passing of Norman Borlaug.

I tend to read and watch everything to get a general objectivity about what's going on***. Actually - this is weird - but Jon Stewart is pretty much the only non-partisan newscaster in the West right now. I mean, sure, he pretends it's all comedy, but you do also get the news, plain and without any dressing.

*I should say "I hope he pretends to have." That man scares me. I refuse to believe that someone could actually be that delusional.
    **Story may induce rage. You've been warned.
    ***Though Fox do seem more of a comedy channel at times; that was my first impression of them, by the way: that they were a comedy channel. For those first five minutes, Ann Coulter was my favorite comedian ever. Then, realization hit.

• @Harald B said: While far from "major" in any way, you may be interested in The Real News. They don't run ads or take subsidies because they don't want to be in anyone's pocket. And unlike your average news site they're all video and have professional journalists (it was started by journalists fed up with the usual media biases), many local correspondents, fairly in-depth interviews and big ambitions.
    I won't say they're always neutral or correct, but they are independent, know their stuff and show you things you won't often get in regular media. And with pretty good production values.

Sounds like the Giant Bomb of news organizations.

• @Steve2000 said: One of their regular features is a discussion between the Host (Jim Lehrer) and two newspaper columnists. It is usually Mark Shields (a left-leaning writer) and David Brooks (a very conservative writer). They usually are on to comment on political things.

Let's hope it's a bit better than Hannity & Colmes, that man does nothing for the left-wing agenda god help him

@Steve2000 said: but maybe it's hard for me to tell since I tend to agree with the more left-wing reporting. ;)) But they still don't always report on the stuff I wish they'd report on...

Yeah I hear you there, I lean to the left somewhat, but I still hate it when I see for example some crazed shooter and the left-wing channel's blaming it on gun control and the right-wing are blaming it on the media (games, music, microwave meals, whatever) it's just not the news's place to do that outside of pundits that can say whatever they like as far as i'm concerned as long as they have some opposition from time to time

@Steve2000 said: Fox News's Rupert Murdoch looks at news as a business. He and almost everyone else on that channel probably don't believe half the stuff they broadcast. For example: Fox is very liberal in China, which helps serve their financial interests (though a Chinese liberal might have the same view point that Glenn Beck pretends to have, for all I know).

The Murdoch machine's a funny old beast, for all it's right-wing tendancies it just wants to make money at the end of the day (and fair enough I say) that's why you see it publishing books by Michael Moore (if you can't say anything nice...) ad taking different stances in different locations. In the UK it's slightly tilted to the right with The Sun and The Times (which is actually my paper of choice, you just have to be wary because it can be quite subtle while being somewhat biased) there's Sky News as well but I never watch it.

• @Steve2000 said: I find the News Hour on PBS to be pretty good.

Completely agreed.

• I think that generally speaking CNN is more centered. MSNBC is more to the left and Fox News is to the right. You will never find this to always be 100% though. Certainly the BBC has struggled with issues of bias over the years.

• @GuybrushWilco said: Certainly the BBC has struggled with issues of bias over the years.

I dunno, the BBC gets it from all sides. One time I was at a lecture being given by the sanctimonious Scottish midget known as George Galloway who "hilariously" reffered to it as the "Bush and Blair Corporation." Turned on BBC that night and there was extensive coverage that questioned the Iraq war.

They seem to be a victim of their own high standards, not perfect but pretty damn good most of the time I think

Add Comment