User Avatar Image

Title of the next MI game

posted by Otis on - last edited - Viewed by 645 users

Does it HAVE to be Tales of Monkey Island season 2? Im ok with it if the next is TMI 2, but I would love to see for example some of these other alternatives that came in mind.

How about?

- Return to Monkey Island

- The End of Monkey Island

- Monkey Island 6: Return of LeChuck

- Monkey Island: Story of Voodoo Lady

Share your thoughts on this.

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "The Rubber-chicken-with-a-pully-in-the-middle of Doom"

• Either have a different name altogether, or keep the Tales of Monkey Island: Arbitrary Subtitle format, but don't say Tales 2. Monkey Island 6 if anything, but I liked that Curse and Escape dropped obligatory numbering. No need to pick it up again.

• @FitzoliverJ said: "More Tales of Monkey Island".

"Further Tales of Monkey Island".

"Return to 'Tales of Monkey Island'".

I like these.

• You know, the title Tales of Monkey Island doesn't really say anything about the plot, like the other games do. In the Secret of Monkey Island, you go on a journey to find Monkey Island and its secret (well, you manage one of the two). In MI2: LeChuck's Revenge, a big part of the plot lies on LeChuck wanting to get revenge. In Curse of Monkey Island, you give a cursed engagement ring to Elaine (well that turned out to be a golden moment). In Escape, well, you end up having to Escape from Monkey Island.

I Tales you end up.... er... uhm... hmmm. Yup. Something's not right here. So Telltale, did you choose that title because it sounded cool? Or was it perhaps because it was supposed to, you know, have more than one season and you thought it would be a good idea to collect all the episodic Monkey Island stories under one banner? ;)

• Most likely to have ToMI Season 1, season 2, season 3 etc.

I don't mind, each episode has a different sub-title after all...

• @Cyphox said: i just was rememberd of this interview ron gilbert did on some tv-channel i forgot the name of.... was it the german "giga"? dont know....

he said, he wanna do the REAL monkey island 3.... he said some words like "Monkey island 3 - The Secret revealed or you'll get you money back"

kind of an "alternate universe" of mi.... cause it's in the past and blaaaaah (i'm drunk)

THAT would be f***ing GREAT!!!!

OH YEAAAAAAAH!!!!

You mean THIS? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYuWgHfYRU

• Sandwiches of Monkey Island: LeChuck's Culinary Revenge.

• /puts on helmet and gets ready for beating

Not "Tales of Monkey Island 2", because I don't want Telltale to make it (not up to me though of course :p). They made a good game but I'm not crazy about the episodic thing. I want a "real" big adventure game that takes like 6 months to get through on the first play because it's so insanely hard and long (they can put in the wussy mode like MI2 and 3 have). I also want lovely, detailed, 2D graphics.

• @Rembrandt Q. Einstein said: /puts on helmet and gets ready for beating

Not "Tales of Monkey Island 2", because I don't want Telltale to make it (not up to me though of course :p). They made a good game but I'm not crazy about the episodic thing. I want a "real" big adventure game that takes like 6 months to get through on the first play because it's so insanely hard and long (they can put in the wussy mode like MI2 and 3 have). I also want lovely, detailed, 2D graphics.

I like Episodic. It gives you the option to play them individually, or essentially together. If you wait until post release (or the DVD), you can play them together as one game. But i agree with you on the difficulty front. I would love to have difficulty settings (a la curse), with current difficulty being the basic.

• @serializer said: I hit 'em with "Return" on comment #35. Presumably the idea is now out there in the ether and randomly popping up in all kinds of people's heads. Won't be long before somebody high up at TTG says "hey, I've just had this great title idea!"

Not to sound rude, but "Return to Monkey Island" is far from an original idea for the title. A quick Google search brought me over to the fanfiction page of the LucasArts Fiction page hosted at Mixnmojo.com which credits the title as of Sept. 2002 (less than 2 full years after the release of Escape) to one "Brandon Ghislain".

Searching a little deeper would likely reveal some prior reference made earlier even than that.

Again, not trying to sound rude, but unless you're Brandon (and perhaps even if you are) then I think it's a bit obtuse to think that you personally have influenced everyone else to think this is a good idea for a new title...

However, it's certainly reasonable to say that there are those who would not have encountered it prior to your post and you may thereby have influenced some, but I highly doubt that it's a majority by any means.

Add Comment