User Avatar Image

A question about US News coverage

posted by JedExodus on - last edited - Viewed by 826 users

Everyone knows Fox News is jaded towards a right-wing stance. but the little i've seen of American news is always biased to either a left-wing or right-wing position.

Is there any major news source in the states that totally isn't jaded one way or the other? We have the same deal over here (and everywhere else) but it's never ever as blatant as in the states (apart from in the tabloids)

The reason I ask is because I hate being told what I should think, I just want facts, I don't want an anchor spouting rhetoric at me. it all just seems a bit...sinister

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JedExodus said: I dunno, the BBC gets it from all sides. One time I was at a lecture being given by the sanctimonious Scottish midget known as George Galloway who "hilariously" reffered to it as the "Bush and Blair Corporation." Turned on BBC that night and there was extensive coverage that questioned the Iraq war.

They seem to be a victim of their own high standards, not perfect but pretty damn good most of the time I think

Well I don't want to get into a lot of politics on here, but there have been times when the BBC has been accused of having a political agenda. I have seen it myself too. I don't think they are as bad as they used to be though, I think they cleaned up their act a lot.

• @GuybrushWilco said: Well I don't want to get into a lot of politics on here, but there have been times when the BBC has been accused of having a political agenda. I have seen it myself too. I don't think they are as bad as they used to be though, I think they cleaned up their act a lot.

Maybe moreso in the past but as far as i've witnessed theyve been pretty neutral, I can't really think of a time I watched a report and thought "Hang on a second..." they get grief from MP's all the time but that hardly means anything as MP's will complain about anything in Britain.

Seriously though, i'd really like an example of BBC making a muck of things if you can think of any, it'd be interesting

• I don't see the problem with political bias or how its not news. It's not that they're lying to you, they're just showing it from their point of view. And let's face it, FoxNews was made for Republicans and MSNBC was made for Liberals and CNN for Democrats and so on. Go where you'll find the viewpoint you agree with, I dunno.

I think there's way too much anti-government anti-party paranoia on every side. I'm personally an independent, though I tend to lean to the right. Sure there ARE politicians who lie through their face and talk out their arse at the same time. But I tend to see Republicans label the Liberals as the evil biased homo satanist Libs and the Liberals label the Repubs as the evil fundamentalist religious conspiracy theorist nutcases. Neither party is really that bad! There is so much fighting coming from both sides because human beings hate other human beings, especially ones that disagree with them. Anybody who stereotypes either party as such has no clue what they are saying and have let the media tell them what to believe for way too long.

• I wonder how you Americans put up with how you get news coverage on TV. I watch it on infrequently - now and then I'll turn to Fox News if I want a laugh - but its so in-your-face and unreserved appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator. Not to mention the overt political commentary. Maybe its just because it lacks that British sense of cool stiff upper lip that you get with the BBC and ITN (but not Sky, but thats bastard Murdoch again), but it feels like it was put together teens. I just can't stand it. I really hate it when I'm in another country and I can't pick up BBC World Service and have to make do with CNN.

• @S@bre said: I wonder how you Americans put up with how you get news coverage on TV. I watch it on infrequently - now and then I'll turn to Fox News if I want a laugh - but its so in-your-face and unreserved appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator. Not to mention the overt political commentary. Maybe its just because it lacks that British sense of cool stiff upper lip that you get with the BBC and ITN (but not Sky, but thats bastard Murdoch again), but it feels like it was put together teens. I just can't stand it. I really hate it when I'm in another country and I can't pick up BBC World Service and have to make do with CNN.

I hate to say it, but this sounds a little bit pompous. CNN is a highly respected international news organization and is the first 24 hour news network. I'm sorry our colonial news doesn't fit to the stiff up lip British sensibilities. I guess it should be left to the unwashed masses :P

• @GuybrushWilco said: I hate to say it, but this sounds a little bit pompous. CNN is a highly respected international news organization and is the first 24 hour news network. I'm sorry our colonial news doesn't fit to the stiff up lip British sensibilities. I guess it should be left to the unwashed masses :P

I have to say, when i visited the US during Michael Jacksons trial (i was in disney world =P) the coverage was all "poor MJ!", whereas over here they seemed alot more neutral. Mainly facts, and reconstructed testimonies (i.e some middle aged man reading out some kids testimony). I have no idea which network we had to watch in the US (definately either Fox or CNN, but i have a sneaky suspician it was both), but it was definately different.

• I don't get BBC World, but I do visit the BBC News website on a daily basis. I remember they covered Jackson's death on their site way too much as well.

• @GuybrushWilco said: I don't get BBC World, but I do visit the BBC News website on a daily basis. I remember they covered Jackson's death on their site way too much as well.

There was on overload of info on Sky (which i was watching at the time), but they seemed to be neutral. I think thats probably down to how the americans generally appreciated/loved him more, so the effect seems less.

• @Secret Fawful said: I don't see the problem with political bias or how its not news.

For a start it goes against every professional ethic of journalism, and sometimes it's hard to even notice. For example The Independent is a left-wing British broadsheet, it's not unusal to see every paper running a story on a big world event on their front-page while they run an article about plastic bag use or something on there's. It's certainly a big issue and i'm not trying to take any legitimacy away from it, but it's selective and subtle, keep getting your news from the same source and it does effect your opinion

@Secret Fawful said: I wonder how you Americans put up with how you get news coverage on TV. I watch it on infrequently - now and then I'll turn to Fox News if I want a laugh - but its so in-your-face and unreserved appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator..

Two words "Action News" :mad:

@Secret Fawful said: Maybe its just because it lacks that British sense of cool stiff upper lip that you get with the BBC and ITN

Wut? ITN's a joke (especially of late), it's tabloid journalism full of emotional language and showbiz stories, even good ol' Trevor McDonald couldn't hide that under his layers of class. Personally Channel 4's news is probably the best, even if it is far too agressive at times

@Secret Fawful said: I don't get BBC World, but I do visit the BBC News website on a daily basis. I remember they covered Jackson's death on their site way too much as well.

Jacko's death was a pretty legitimate news story in my opinion, it had it all. It was unexpected, the man was absolutely massive, there was/is a hint of sinisterness and people running to grab the mans wealth. It was like Elvis's death to my generation. I don't think the BBC website's too bad for sensationalism outside of its entertainment section

• I agree that political bias has no place in ethical journalism, but...

@JedExodus said: keep getting your news from the same source and it does effect your opinion

I'm not sure about that. It may well be the other way around. I'm interested in the environment and human rights issues and what not, and find myself gravitating towards The Guardian, simply because they talk about the stuff I'm interested in. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, but I think the consumer is the chicken, and the newspaper is the egg.

(That said, I still look at other newspapers as well - all online, of course, actual paper just gives a lot of mess.)

Add Comment