User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @PecanBlue said: That doesn't exactly mean everything that happened with the crossroads was part of a grand plan, she just says she was playing along at the beginning pre-pox.

OK. Let's just, for the sake of argument, disregard the whole crossroads issue and discuss Elaine's playing along pre-pox.

Why, exactly? In her own words, it was to 'get Guybrush to realise that the Voodoo Lady-' Yet never ever does she mention this to Guybrush. If they had spoken about this before, and Guybrush did not believe it (like mentioned, I believe in the topic conjecturing 'explaining' the plot), I would at least expect some reference to this in the script. (Elaine: 'NOW do you believe me about the Voodoo Lady?' Somewhere during the finale. That's all it would've taken.)

But instead, Guybrush mentions the VL the first time he's on LeChuck's ship, and Elaine is shocked and bewildered at him working together with her. Guybrush on the other hand, doesn't have any idea in the slightest what he did wrong. The first (going off his reaction) and only time he -and the player- heard about the Voodoo Lady manipulating him was when LeChuck waved around a diary in court. A diary nobody bothered to read -at least not when Guybrush, and again, the player was around. Considering LeChuck (the one bringing the Voodoo Lady's motives to the attention) STABBED HIM TO DEATH afterwards, this 'evidence' is weak at best.

Yet it is all evidence Guybrush had up to that point. Now keeping this information in mind, look back at Elaine's dialogue. Doesn't this implicate very heavily that she never even bothered to talk to Guybrush about the Voodoo Lady's motives at all? That she went for a risky, complicated 'show' without even trying the 'tell' option of persuading him? And if that is true, doesn't that make her a... not very nice person?

• Considering she doesn't even even finish her sentence, nor do we really know what even happened before all this, it's hard to come to any conclusion like that. I don't think making mistakes makes someone a bad person either.

• I think it really comes down to the fact that Elaine has always been a bit of a (justified) know-it-all. In MI1 she frees herself and makes voodoo rootbear without the canabals' help, even though they were the only ones who knew how to make it. In MI2 she goes right to the island where Big Whoop was buried without have ever scene more than one piece of the map, and without having that piece anymore. She has always known things that she has no logical reason for knowing, and even if she didn't know something, she would want to make it seem like she did. Why else would she bring up the completely irrelevant pronounciation of "esponja" at the end? She likes that intellectual superiority. She's the kind of person who will take credit for anything she can take credit for, even when she wasn't responsible. This should be clear from the fact that she took credit for killing LeChuck after MI1.

• Is explained how Elaine know how to return from the crossroad in human form? It is really strange considering that even the Voodoo lady did not know!

He might have talked with LeChuck since he escaped from the crossoroads many times (5?), but the fact that the power of true love works so well should be unknown even for him, or not?

• Has anyone considered that Elaine might have said she had a plan when she really didn't have much of one, but was just trying to claim a bit of credit for things working out in the end? (Kind of like Ron Gilbert saying that he wanted to make MI3 but never did, and things worked out for the MI series anyway.)

And I thought TMI was one of the best MI games, Chapter 5 being an exciting and entertaining conclusion to the season. I, for one, am willing to overlook a few questions created by the plot so long as the overall experience was fun and entertaining. In fact, there are a number of extremely popular movies that have been made that, though they have large plothole questions staring you in the face, are still fun and exciting to watch.

As far as Ron Gilbert is concerned, props to the man who created Monkey Island but I believe that though he claims to have had an MI3 game in mind, he never even started creating it. Not to mention that the end of MI2 was full of the weirdness factor that would befit Sam & Max. I personally think that he was just saying that he was planning on making an MI3 himself, just to give himself a bit of props, though the end of MI2 is bizarre and random enough to suggest he never even considered it. Besides, I love Curse. For ages, it was my favorite game (though TMI gives it a run for it's money.)

• It is an habit I noticed too, but I completely disagree with.

It seems people take something that disliked and says `Since I disliked _that_ so everything is bad.'

I do not know the OP was thinking in this way I prefer saying: `without forgetting the pleasure we had playing, enjoying the story, do you think is would be even better if...?' or `I loved the series, but I _that_ does not make any sense!'

• @nivekious said: This should be clear from the fact that she took credit for killing LeChuck after MI1.

Wat.

@nivekious said: It seems people take something that disliked and says `Since I disliked _that_ so everything is bad.'

I do not know the OP was thinking in this way I prefer saying: `without forgetting the pleasure we had playing, enjoying the story, do you think is would be even better if...?' or `I loved the series, but I _that_ does not make any sense!'

Yes, and I think there were a lot of other mysteries and plot inconsistencies besides what Elaine was thinking about at the beginning. I don't really know why everyone chooses to focus on that and that alone.

• @PecanBlue said: Wat.

In MI2, it's mentioned that she took credit for blowing up LeChuck somewhere.

@PecanBlue said: Yes, and I think there were a lot of other mysteries and plot inconsistencies besides what Elaine was thinking about at the beginning. I don't really know why everyone chooses to focus on that and that alone.

My guess is because it's basically the last thing we see of Guybrush and Elaine in Tales, and since it left people cold as far as endings go, that's why it gets beaten on so much? I was more disappointed with how brief the ending scene was then just Elaine.

• @LowMoralFiber said: In MI2, it's mentioned that she took credit for blowing up LeChuck somewhere.

I don't remember this at all, somehow. I just remember Voodoo Lady taking credit.

• @PecanBlue said: ^
    Oh no! Not completely valid goofs!

Hey guys, let's discuss decidedly minor possible inconsistencies in a comedy! Sounds like something that isn't totally a waste of time and pointless!

Add Comment